Which score is more important???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cynicalutopian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to know which score is generally more imp step1/step2 in MAJORITy of the programmes?

Members don't see this ad.

what i have heard from PD's: step 1 is used more universally, because many students have not taken step 2. that being said, if there is a step 2 score, it is used more, because it is much more pertinent and relevant to the material you need on the wards.

so, moral of the story: do as well as you possibly can on both. if you have a weak step 1, be sure to do better on step 2. if you have a great step 1, consider waiting on the step 2. but, no matter what you have, make sure that you are a hard worker, have great LOR's and can present yourself well on an interview. the programs are going to hire the person, not the test scores....you have to live and work with these folks for several years!

I don't know why anyone would take step 2 before October unless you did poorly on Step 1 and thought you could really improve. I took Step 2 in October and gave my Step 2 scores to the last few places I interviewed. Step 2 is not that important, I don't know any PD that actually looked at my scores.

IMO, Step 2 can only hurt you unless you can make up some ground because of a very poor Step 1 score. That being said, if you have a poor step 1 score, I don't know how likely it is that you really improve your Step 2 score.

Unless you want to apply to some really competitive programs with high cut-offs, don't stress out about it.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

just to add my two cents...I also agree that step 1 in general is used more often to screen applicants b/c most students tend to take step2 a little later on in the 4th year. me personally, i took step 2 on 6/22 NOT b/c i did poorly on step 1 as someone alluded to but b/c i felt i was ready to take it early and i wanted to enjoy 4th year as well as devote all my attention to the residency application process w/o having to worry about studying for another board exam. So for the last person to generalize that the only people who take step 2 before october must have done poorly on step 1 is not true. some of us just wanted to get the sucker out of the way and some of us may have felt like we were ready to take it. it's a clnical exam and it surely does not require the studying that step 1 entailed. so if u feel ready, take it. do an nbme exam and see where u fall. hope this helps.

md/mph'06

Members don't see this ad :)
When I talked with our IM and General Surgery PDs last year about this, here was their take:

If you only have a Step 1 score available, then obviously that's what you'll be judged on.

If you have both steps available, most programs will average the two scores together to reach their cutoff, if they have one.

When subjectively reviewing each applicant's strengths/weaknesses, they will look more closely at Step 2 because it is more clinically relevant.

cynicalutopian said:
just wanted to know which score is generally more imp step1/step2 in MAJORITy of the programmes?
This is an excellent question, asked by many medstudents. Generally, the Step I score is more important. Why? Because 100% of applicants will have their Step I score on file.

However, if you kick ass on the Step II, it will overshadow your Step I score.

Best,

Med students notoriously underestimate how important step 2 is -- there is an article out there about the ortho match (don't have the exact title) and how program directors actually view it as an important score, and how medical students always think that it isn't a big deal. So beware....

O'doyleRules said:
Med students notoriously underestimate how important step 2 is -- there is an article out there about the ortho match (don't have the exact title) and how program directors actually view it as an important score, and how medical students always think that it isn't a big deal. So beware....

Behold, an article in the August 2004 American Journal of Surgery....

"Results:
There were significant first-order associations between PGY-l performance evaluation score and each of USMLE step 2 score and GPA. In a multiple linear regression model that included sex, surgical specialty choice, USMLE step l and step 2 scores, AOA, and GPA, USMLE step 2 score was the only significant predictor of PGY-l performance."

Volume 188, Issue 2, Pages 161-164 (August 2004)