Which state to get licensed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjackson727

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th-year HPSPer about to come on active duty. I am trying to decide which state to apply for licensure. I remember hearing at BOLC that Utah was a favorable one since it's less expensive and is relatively easy to obtain. As far as I know, the Army doesn't care which state I am licensed in. Anyone else know of good states (accepting the NERB) that are popular in the military?

Also, Utah requires an additional permit to prescribe controlled substances in their state. Do I need this additional permit from Utah to prescribe controlled substances in the Army, or would a DEA number suffice?

Any advice from active duty officers would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th-year HPSPer about to come on active duty. I am trying to decide which state to apply for licensure. I remember hearing at BOLC that Utah was a favorable one since it's less expensive and is relatively easy to obtain. As far as I know, the Army doesn't care which state I am licensed in. Anyone else know of good states (accepting the NERB) that are popular in the military?

Also, Utah requires an additional permit to prescribe controlled substances in their state. Do I need this additional permit from Utah to prescribe controlled substances in the Army, or would a DEA number suffice?

Any advice from active duty officers would be much appreciated! Thanks.
It doesn't matter. Best state to get a license in is the one you may practice in, or be stationed in if you want to moonlight.

I have a Utah license because that is where my family is from. It is pretty cheap even with both licenses. In the military you should be able to get by with just the license and not the controlled license. I went with both, and I think it only costs me an extra $80 or so for the 2 years.

I can't give you a reason why I did both, just felt like it and have kept it that way ever since.

It doesn't matter. Best state to get a license in is the one you may practice in, or be stationed in if you want to moonlight.

I have a Utah license because that is where my family is from. It is pretty cheap even with both licenses. In the military you should be able to get by with just the license and not the controlled license. I went with both, and I think it only costs me an extra $80 or so for the 2 years.

I can't give you a reason why I did both, just felt like it and have kept it that way ever since.

what does moonlight mean?

what does moonlight mean?
Moonlighting is working in private practice when you aren't working for the military (evenings, weekends, holidays, or when you take leave). It is usually done to either supplement income or to see what private practice will be like (in an effort to see if this is going to be a good fit for someone before they leave the military).

It is usually limted by your military Commander. They may say that you can do it a certain number of hours a week or a month.

I strongly encourage moonlighting prior to getting out so that you can make an informed decision on whether getting out will be the right move. Because once you get out of the military your chances of coming back in decrease.