White Coat Size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have to tell my med school my white coat size soon so they can order it but I don't know what size to get...

They have ('not oversized'): 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 2X....which correspond to XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

I'm probably either going to need a L or XL...the large corresponds to (42-44) and the XL corresponds to (46-48). I normally wear L size stuff, and I'm 6'2" skinny build...but since I'm going to be wearing stuff under the coat wouldn't it make sense to go up in size???

Members don't see this ad.

Your school should be able to tell you what brand/style of coat that they use. Just stop by a local uniform shop and try them on for size.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try it on if you can....don't go baggy. It is like a suit, if it is well fitted it automatically looks more impressive than if it is over sized.

So I have to tell my med school my white coat size soon so they can order it but I don't know what size to get...

They have ('not oversized'): 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 2X....which correspond to XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

I'm probably either going to need a L or XL...the large corresponds to (42-44) and the XL corresponds to (46-48). I normally wear L size stuff, and I'm 6'2" skinny build...but since I'm going to be wearing stuff under the coat wouldn't it make sense to go up in size???

Hey Q,

Just saw your post and was wondering where you ended up choosing.

Try it on if you can....don't go baggy. It is like a suit, if it is well fitted it automatically looks more impressive than if it is over sized.

ok...so I got to try on a friend's set (fortunately enough, he had a L and XL...don't know if those sizes correspond to the sizes of the brand that I'm going to get) and they both seem to fit well enough (while I was wearing a tshirt underneath). Should I go with the XL then since I'll be wearing a collared shirt under it?

ok...so I got to try on a friend's set (fortunately enough, he had a L and XL...don't know if those sizes correspond to the sizes of the brand that I'm going to get) and they both seem to fit well enough (while I was wearing a tshirt underneath). Should I go with the XL then since I'll be wearing a collared shirt under it?

I'd stick with the large. You really don't want it to look baggy.

I'd stick with the large. You really don't want it to look baggy.

I agree. Though I'm judging this from the standpoint that the white coat fits like a suit jacket, there's really no difference in bulk between a dress shirt and a t-shirt. Unless you're going to be wearing bulky fisherman's sweaters regularly under your coat, I'd recommend going for a more fitted size.

I wouldn't go up a size. The ones that we use are actually bigger than I expected based on the size and so when I tried it on I realized that I was a size smaller than what I would have ordered.

I would stick with the XL Quantum!:D

42,44 etc corresponds to your chest size(circumfrance around back under arms and over chest). Measure it and this should help.

it is better to go a little big because you can always go get your coat taylored. I did that and now my coat looks like a million bucks

I'd go a little big just to be on the safe side because let's face it: it's unlikely most of us are going to lose any weight as we age a few years in medical school. :D