Who would you rank higher, a new university sponsored or a community based program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ekimalito

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I have decent chances of matching in 1 of 2 prospective programs... One of them is a university-based IM residency program, this program has been going on for 2 years now, it is in a level 3 trauma center. They will complete the cycle with the 2017 residents. The medical school is sponsored temporarily by a prestigious state university (they have a local medical school that will eventually get accreditation and sponsor the program). Even though it is a remote area, it is a nice hospital and seems to have lots of potential. They are investing in a research facility and have a lot of other programs which will start in the near future. It's like a health system, not just a hospital.

Alternatively, there is this other program which is located in a community-based hospital, that's a level 2 trauma center in the city. This is a program that has been going on for decades working in a poor area. This one is more structured and they have multiple fellowships available and even have some secured spots for their residents.

When I compared the 2 places it seems like the new, university sponsored program has more resources and even though it is new and still being constantly modified, it seems well structured and it is open to input from the residents. The old program is pretty stable and most residents do well afterward but it lacks all the new equipment and perks the new program seems to offer.

Assuming the location was not a problem for me, assuming the only variables are the quality of the education I will receive and also my future as a professional (I'd like to teach at a professional level in the future) and also taking into consideration the possibilities of matching in subspecialties and so on.. which one would you say I should rank higher?

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick the one that already has in house fellowships oportunities

Reactions: 2 users
trauma center level makes absolutely no difference to internal medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
So I think I have decent chances of matching in 1 of 2 prospective programs... One of them is a university-based IM residency program, this program has been going on for 2 years now, it is in a level 3 trauma center. They will complete the cycle with the 2017 residents. The medical school is sponsored temporarily by a prestigious state university (they have a local medical school that will eventually get accreditation and sponsor the program). Even though it is a remote area, it is a nice hospital and seems to have lots of potential. They are investing in a research facility and have a lot of other programs which will start in the near future. It's like a health system, not just a hospital.

Alternatively, there is this other program which is located in a community-based hospital, that's a level 2 trauma center in the city. This is a program that has been going on for decades working in a poor area. This one is more structured and they have multiple fellowships available and even have some secured spots for their residents.

When I compared the 2 places it seems like the new, university sponsored program has more resources and even though it is new and still being constantly modified, it seems well structured and it is open to input from the residents. The old program is pretty stable and most residents do well afterward but it lacks all the new equipment and perks the new program seems to offer.

Assuming the location was not a problem for me, assuming the only variables are the quality of the education I will receive and also my future as a professional (I'd like to teach at a professional level in the future) and also taking into consideration the possibilities of matching in subspecialties and so on.. which one would you say I should rank higher?
The first program sounds like a university-affiliated program, not a university-based program.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
well for those set on fellowships/competitiveness/grand picture >> general internist, that is most important in picking a program

for all others, "fit" "gut feeling" "happiness"

I would go for "tried and true" >> "perks" any day of the week in hindsight (While acknowledging that "tried and true" can seem to be less happy-inducing than "perks", it frequently is a better recipe for success, ie "happiness." Hard to fail and be happy. Residency is full of enough "ambiguity" in your personal learning curve, you don't need it from your program structure too. Not that I discount the importance of parking and cafeteria, but there's a hierarchy of needs here.)

#1 would tempt me for looking for "cush," not placement, and I would worry that it wouldn't end up as "cushy" 2/2 the new-ness stress of it

#2 would put me off for drudgery, but I think is the safest best re: your education, graduation, and future career prospects & doors left open

I hope that after reading all of the posts above and mine, the thinking process for evaluating these types of programs is clearer.

Reactions: 1 user