Whoot! 4 New Schools On COCA Agenda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Substantive change request: Additional location – Pre-Operational Site Visit

Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Substantive Change Request: Branch Campus

Proposed Kansas Health Sciences Center – Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pre-Accreditation Application

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
Substantive Change Request: Additional Location

Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Substantive Change Request: Change of Ownership

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Substantive Change Request: Change of Ownership and Substantive Change Request: Planned Class Size Increase

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting! BCOM and ICOM both under the same for profit organization, and now changing ownership. Are they still going to be for-profit? Are they going under a different for-profit organization?

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting that the big ICOM post by @--Gem that said it was not a financially solid investment seems to be true if they are planning on changing ownership.
It will be interesting if RVU and Touro are both still going to open in Montana.

Also, won't this KC school be the 3rd school in KC? that seems crazy to me.

interesting that the big ICOM post by @--Gem that said it was not a financially solid investment seems to be true if they are planning on changing ownership.
It will be interesting if RVU and Touro are both still going to open in Montana.

Its in Wichita, so like an hour away from KC.
RVU definitely seems like its going through with Montana, they already started building.
I haven't read the ICOM post, but how can it be a bad investment? If youre not making enough money, raise tuition. People don't seem to criticize cost until you get to about 60k/year, and even then people will still pay.

👋 hi Jkdoctor! Wooot woot!!

Woah ANOTHER location for TouroCOM? Besides Middletown, NY?? Where are they going to put it? Niagara Falls?!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Its in Wichita, so like an hour away from KC.
RVU definitely seems like its going through with Montana, they already started building.
I haven't read the ICOM post, but how can it be a bad investment? If youre not making enough money, raise tuition. People don't seem to criticize cost until you get to about 60k/year, and even then people will still pay.

Downers Grove Tuition and Fees (for academic year 2021-2022)​

Please Note: Tuition rates will be subject to change each academic year for all enrolled students. Historically, tuition has increased between 3.75% and 7.00% annually. Programs with a trailing summer session will be subject to annual tuition increases for those summer sessions.

ProgramTuition
Chicago College of Optometry1$44,486
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine$76,099

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Maybe Jeff Bezos bought them.
Every class comes with amazon prime, fire phones, and alexa smart devices. Who am I kidding, Bezos would probably make one of the better DO schools if I am being honest. Just as long as students remember their water bottles in case they needed to use the restroom.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Now this I want to see. Please link.

The new Touro school will be in Great Falls, MT. Heard it from a faculty member at the NY campus.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the office no GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
interesting read about UW opposing both Montana schools Here. Maybe pressure from serious ACGME schools will make COCA step up their game, but honestly, I doubt COCA will do anything about it. Where will 250 students (125 from each school) rotate when most of the current sites are occupied by WAMMI students.

The new Touro school will be in Great Falls, MT. Heard it from a faculty member at the NY campus.
Lmao, I've been there. It's the middle of nowhere with not much to do.

Thats the point though right? There are still 60K people who live there and need doctors, with ~25 currently being trained in the state. However 2 schools is probably an over correction.

Can an ADDITIONAL LOCATION open a BRANCH CAMPUS?! The permutations are endless! The KCU Joplin School of Osteopathic Medicine Billings Branch.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Can an ADDITIONAL LOCATION open a BRANCH CAMPUS?! The permutations are endless! The KCU Joplin School of Osteopathic Medicine Billings Branch.
PCOM in Georgia, Lake Erie in Florida, New York IT in Arkansas, it is comical. At least RVU had the foresight to name their school after a general geographical area in the country and are sticking to it.

Reactions: 3 users
No, they're all going to be under the original parent institution I believe because they don't have to go through an accreditation process since the main school is already accredited. They just have to make sure they get approved to open and receiving students. Although, once the main campus accreditation expires, accreditation renewal is gonna depend on all campuses meeting standards, and they will each have their own COCA visit.

Last edited:

I think this will actually be the 4th school in KC. KU, UMKC, and KCU all already exist/have campuses in the KC area!

I think this will actually be the 4th school in KC. KU, UMKC, and KCU all already exist/have campuses in the KC area!
This branch school is in Kansas (Wichita to be more precise) not Kansas City.

Edit: also I think they meant the 3rd KCU School.

Thats the point though right? There are still 60K people who live there and need doctors, with ~25 currently being trained in the state. However 2 schools is probably an over correction.

This isn’t a correction at all!

If they don’t have residencies, they will not increase doctors for the region. Since there’s literally nowhere for these students to train in third year, these students will likely never set foot in Montana ever again after preclinical.

Reactions: 9 users
This isn’t a correction at all!

If they don’t have residencies, they will not increase doctors for the region. Since there’s literally nowhere for these students to train in third year, these students will likely never set foot in Montana ever again after preclinical.
But maybe they fall in love with the area and open a FM practice in a PC desert after completing residency somewhere else. I think the hope is the schools will help start new residency programs. I think RVU and Touro both done it before. Also, even if everyone doesnt rotate in Montana, they arnt going to cities. They mostly likely will be in Idaho, Wyoming, maybe the Dakotas, there's probably equal need there.

But maybe they fall in love with the area and open a FM practice in a PC desert after completing residency somewhere else. I think the hope is the schools will help start new residency programs. I think RVU and Touro both done it before. Also, even if everyone doesnt rotate in Montana, they arnt going to cities. They mostly likely will be in Idaho, Wyoming, maybe the Dakotas, there's probably equal need there.
Or maybe they go back to the area they originally came from. Ya know, the place where residencies, jobs, and their families are?
Don’t want to be negative, but you gotta get real. These schools are only about money and nothing else. Pretty sure the last school to open that gave a crap about quality was Campbell. Nothing about these McDO schools should be praised. They only serve to dilute the degree and lower the DO match rate.

• Love
Or maybe they go back to the area they originally came from. Ya know, the place where residencies, jobs, and their families are?
Don’t want to be negative, but you gotta get real. These schools are only about money and nothing else. Pretty sure the last school to open that gave a crap about quality was Campbell. Nothing about these McDO schools should be praised. They only serve to dilute the degree and lower the DO match rate.
Yeah I agree with you. I was mostly joking the first sentence, and giving the optimistic perspective for the rest. But can we stop calling these schools McDO. McDonald's is good, people like it and there is a reason they are all over the country. I propose using MattressFirm COM--why are there so many

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
So TouroCOM, the one from Harlem, is opening a branch school in Montana?! So random lol.
🤦‍♂️

• Haha
I wonder how much I'd have to pay COCA to actually get away with Mad Jack's Osteopathy Shack

Can I propose a marketing slogan? “The academic quality of a Caribbean program, paired with the comforts of living in rural Wyoming.”

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Yeah!!! Let’s saturate the job market like pharmacy schools have!!

Residency won't be a bottle neck when a bunch of woke loser med students destroy the field by heavily advocating for gross expansion of slots. We already hear dumb pro residency expansion takes on this website all the time by shortsighted people who have no idea what they are talking about. School expansion just makes it even easier to enact.

One of the first rules of medical school is not addressing and fixing the actual problem but finding another adjustment to make that's easier instead. This is exactly what could happen here too.

• Okay...
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Residency won't be a bottle neck when a bunch of woke loser med students destroy the field by heavily advocating for gross expansion of slots. We already hear dumb pro residency expansion takes on this website all the time by shortsighted people who have no idea what they are talking about. School expansion just makes it even easier to enact.

One of the first rules of medical school is not addressing and fixing the actual problem but finding another adjustment to make that's easier instead. This is exactly what could happen here too.
I think part of specialty selection for med students going forward should factor in how easy it is to create residency programs in the field.

Reactions: 2 users
I think part of specialty selection for med students going forward should factor in how easy it is to create residency programs in the field.
At some point this level of proactivness just becomes absurd.

" I really like this part of medicine but its possible for residency expansion, I guess I'll do something else."

Stupid

At some point this level of proactivness just becomes absurd.

" I really like this part of medicine but its possible for residency expansion, I guess I'll do something else."

Stupid
I wonder if people who matched into EM 2 years ago would agree with you…

I wonder if people who matched into EM 2 years ago would agree with you…
EM HAS been expanding though. it was not a maybe.

Should I only be applying to fields where its super duper hard for expansion to occur? There might be a run on FM, better do neurosurgery just in case!

Should applicants take current expansion into consideration? obvously, but to write off a field because expansion COULD occur seems bonkers

Last edited:
EM HAS been expanding though. it was not a maybe.

Should I only be applying to fields where its super duper hard for expansion to occur? There might be a run on FM, better do neurosurgery just in case!
No. But it should be a factor in your decision-making. Especially for fields that are very hospital-dependent.

Can I propose a marketing slogan? “The academic quality of a Caribbean program, paired with the comforts of living in rural Wyoming.”
Now wait a second, Wyoming is my terriority. Mad Jack can take his ‘shack’ upto RI more near his stomping grounds.

Reactions: 1 users