Who's applying for Dec cycle Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soleil9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Thought we should take some of the focus from the med students applying for residency... I'm applying for GI fellowship.

Just got my token and opened ERAS... Ah! Instant stress out moment with flashbacks to applying for residency! Realized that I should have been working on this a long time ago...

So do our program directors need to write a MSPE? I saw that on the form... I guess I better send out some emails....

How's everyone else doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm also applying for Pedi GI. Maybe we'll meet on the interview trail!

Regarding ERAS, the MPSE is your med school's Dean's Letter, which needs to be sent directly to EFDO, along w/ your med school transcript. There are special submission forms to do so. Your LOR's also get sent this way from letter-writers.

You can submit your completed ERAS starting 11/15, but programs won't download apps until 12/1, so you still have time. Documents are uploaded as they are received.

Oh man, me too! I am so nervous. My application is ready to go, but I have no idea what to expect.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone :luck:

I'm applying to Peds Endocrine. I have 14 programs selected, which I'm starting to think might be too many. I have filled everything out and am just waiting for 2 LORs to come in. However, I'm having trouble "taking the plunge" and actually applying!

I'm also applying to Peds GI (pretty popular right now, huh?). I'm applying regionally, though, so depending on where you guys are applying we may not cross paths at all.

My PS is pretty much done, after that all I'll have left is waiting for my letter writers to finish up.

neonatology here...anyone else?

Hi all,

Hope the New year's going well! Just wondering if anyone has heard yet from Pedi GI programs? So far, I have heard from Pittsburgh (a non-ERAS email) and Chicago Children's Memorial (by a phone call message). I guess we can expect any form of communication!

Good Luck!
:luck:

I'm also applying for GI and so far I've only heard back from 3 programs ( Mt.Sinai, LIJ and SUNY Downstate). Still waiting to hear back from about 15 programs. Does any1 know if it's normal to not hear back from many programs at this point?

I applied to 32 (ack!) programs... I have only heard from Seattle (rejection via snail mail) and Vanderbilt (interview invite via email). My friend who applying for heme/onc has only heard from 50% of the programs she applied to, and the heme/onc match is nearly a month before GI's. I guess we are all ok... I am getting more and more anxious though....

I applied to 32 (ack!) programs...

WOW :scared: How many interviews will u be able to do (assuming you are in residency). I don't think I can fit more than 6 into my schedule

WOW :scared: How many interviews will u be able to do (assuming you are in residency). I don't think I can fit more than 6 into my schedule

Yeah, in a moment of anxiety induced weakness, I added a few too many.... We'll see how many interviews I get... I do not want to be a general pediatrician. We'll see.

Checking in to see how interviews are goin. So far have 7 interviews and 1 rejection but still waiting to hear back from 13 programs. Should I just assume that the rest are rejections? Are interview invites still coming out?
Has any1 heard from children's memorial? I really like the program but haven't heard anything from them.

Checking in to see how interviews are goin. So far have 7 interviews and 1 rejection but still waiting to hear back from 13 programs. Should I just assume that the rest are rejections? Are interview invites still coming out?
Has any1 heard from children's memorial? I really like the program but haven't heard anything from them.

Yes, interviews are still going out, but some programs are slower than others. I heard from Chicago Children's Memorial GI last week. It was a voicemail on my phone, that I almost deleted because I didn't recognize the #! They scheduled my interview via phone too when I called back.

In addition, I have invites from Cinci, Pittsburgh, Brown...still waiting on some others. I think it also depends on how long programs waited to download (my app was complete when submitted Nov 15).
:luck:

is it too late to start the process now? i just couldnt figure out what i was excited about, but i think it's gonna be GI!

Any updates?

So far have 9 interviews offers. Still waiting to hear back from 10 programs.
Hope 9 interviews are enough to match somewhere :scared:

Has anyone received any actual rejection letters from GI programs. Got one from Seattle Children's a while ago but nothing else. I'd rather get the rejection letter soon rather than being in limbo!

is it too late to start the process now? i just couldnt figure out what i was excited about, but i think it's gonna be GI!
You'll need to move very, very fast. I know that some programs require complete applications by the end of February, and it can take a few weeks for mailed documents (most significantly, letters of recommendation) to post to the document website. Some other things can be scanned in, such as your transcript (maybe) and MSPE, so the LoRs are the true rate-limiting step. Some writers may be put off a bit if you tell them they need to write their letters by, like, today if they haven't had advance notice, and the customary two week window risks getting them in too late to count.

In all honesty, if I was in your shoes I'd probably wait for next cycle just because I'd be afraid of botching things on such a tight schedule, but if you're ready to go, then it's not completely outside the realm of possibility to apply at this point.

Hey, what about the bigger pedi GI programs like Boston and CHOP? Any hope left?

So i did end up applying this cycle to GI, with the understanding and acceptance that I'd likely end up reapplying next year...but I still had to give it a shot! I'm convinced applying late *really* hurt me. I applied to about 15 programs. Have 1 interview. Not enough to expect to match. Only 2 real rejections, but I get the feeling programs are no longer offering interviews.

Also, for northeast "big name" programs, I also realized that they are, in fact, looking for MD/PhD's or applicants with a bit more research experience. That too, did not work in my favor.

So, that being said, any interview tips for GI from all of you with a bit of experience?!?! I've only got 1 shot, so any advice is much appreciated!

Done with GI interviews :)

Now the waiting until ROL entry in 2 weeks, then another couple MONTHS of waiting! Well, at least I'll be doing 2mos of inpatient, so hopefully time will pass by quickly :thumbup:

G'luck :luck:

Today was the fellowship match. How did everyone do?

I matched at Brown for GI! It was a crowded applicant pool, so I'm pretty happy to have matched at all in the area.