Who's applying to Florida schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys when did you get verified? I want to do secondaries but my application has reached a stalemate since i still havent been verified.
 
americanangel said:
hey guys when did you get verified? I want to do secondaries but my application has reached a stalemate since i still havent been verified.

apparently they said 4 to 5 weeks for those who submitted after the 20th, but I'm sure there's a bit of exaggeration in that declaration
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not so sure I would want to be part of the first class at any med school. There are a lot of kinks to work out. Although, I would love to live in Orlando. Is UCF planning to build its own hospital and teaching facilities and become an academic center, or just affiliate with Orlando Regional and become a community-based school like FSU?
 
junebuguf said:
I'm not so sure I would want to be part of the first class at any med school. There are a lot of kinks to work out. Although, I would love to live in Orlando. Is UCF planning to build its own hospital and teaching facilities and become an academic center, or just affiliate with Orlando Regional and become a community-based school like FSU?

im actually from orlando, and there's no way they'd build a hospital by 2008. they'll probably go for ORMC or Florida Hospital affiliation
 
I'm sure they wont build a hospital by then, but their long-term plans--is it to stick with established, community hospitals, or to become an academic center? Because if they plan to build their own hospital and go academic, I can see myself going to UCF for residency.
 
Hi guys! I'm applying to USF for MD/PhD, though I'm not a FL resident and I haven't spent much time in FL. I just submitted AMCAS, so I'm not expecting to hear from USF for a little while
 
scentimint said:
Hi guys! I'm applying to USF for MD/PhD, though I'm not a FL resident and I haven't spent much time in FL. I just submitted AMCAS, so I'm not expecting to hear from USF for a little while

hey scent, applying to EDP USF...good luck
 
americanangel said:
So which of the four schools would you consider for a surgical subspeciality? I'm planning on going into pediatric surgery, so my basic question is: Which school would prepare me the best and hopefully get me the best residency for such a field? I live in Tampa Bay and I love All Children's, but I know there is an awesome pediatric hospital in Maimi and one up in north Florida that I think is assocated with UF. I'm just looking toward the future here...Any insight?

Happy 4th of July
The children's hospital associated with UF is Wolfson's Children's Hospital and I don't think (this is just from what I've witnessed, so it may not be true) that UF students do rotations at Wolfson's. I used to work at Wolfson's and at least I never saw students doing rotations there and I have friends that are nurses there and they don't work with rotating med students. On a side note, the hospital is amazing, so if they DO rotations there, the facilities are really nice and the physicians are some of the nicest I've ever met!!!!!

As JunebugUF said, Peds is a fellowship after general surgery, so you would be matching into gen. surgery residencies-but it would never hurt to get your "name/face" out there during med school-not to mention, if you are around a good/bad children's hospital during med school, it could encourage/discourage you to go into peds surgery in the end.
 
I'm also allpying to all the med schools in FL. I live in South Florida and would like to stay here 😍

I would be estatic with UM, Nova or FSU.

Good luck everyone
 
McMD said:
The children's hospital associated with UF is Wolfson's Children's Hospital and I don't think (this is just from what I've witnessed, so it may not be true) that UF students do rotations at Wolfson's. I used to work at Wolfson's and at least I never saw students doing rotations there and I have friends that are nurses there and they don't work with rotating med students. On a side note, the hospital is amazing, so if they DO rotations there, the facilities are really nice and the physicians are some of the nicest I've ever met!!!!!

As JunebugUF said, Peds is a fellowship after general surgery, so you would be matching into gen. surgery residencies-but it would never hurt to get your "name/face" out there during med school-not to mention, if you are around a good/bad children's hospital during med school, it could encourage/discourage you to go into peds surgery in the end.

If you are referring to Wolfson's in Jacksonville, med students from UF definitely rotate through there during their 3rd year for inpatient pediatrics. They just dont take as many students as the inpatient peds unit at Shands Gainesville. I did my peds rotation at Wolfson and man was it a nice hospital.... nice attendings, aquariums, wooden floors, arcade games for the kids 😀 The peds residency at Wolfson's is affiliated with Shands as the peds residents there rotate through the Shands Jacksonville ER.
 
Does anyone know where to find step 1 and 2 score averages for different medical schools?
 
QofQuimica said:
Hi everyone,

Miami:
Pros: FAU campus is amazingly awesome and nice (check it out at your interview day!), great clinical training at Jackson (if you want to do EM, this is your school), laid-back students, fairly diverse class, some scholarships awarded so that it won't cost more than one of the public schools

10 more things about the FAU campus, for those who aren't from the area (Boca):

1) The FAU campus is very safe.

2) There are no panhandlers in Boca. I've never seen one, anyway. There may be some by BRCH, but that's to be expected of any hospital.

3) FAU has Starbucks on campus for the coffee-drinkers (although it's about a five minute walk from the med school building). Also, there is a Quiznos, Pizza Hut, Burger King, and they are building a Wendy's and an Einstein Bagels. These are all near the Starbucks. If you want to walk over to the FAU University Center, you can find vending machines with frozen dinners and sandwiches for $1.

4) Across the street from FAU is a huge Barnes and Nobles, nice restaurants, and a Whole Foods store (a lot of people in boca and at FAU seem to be vegetarian/health conscious).

5) FAU is two seconds from I-95, so you can go south to Miami or north to West Palm if you want to go out and hit the bars/clubs on your downtime.

6) FAU is about five minutes from the beach in one direction (east) and three minutes from a nice mall in the other direction.

7) FAU and BRCH just reached an agreement to build the teaching hospital on campus... construction begins in 2008 (and should be completed in 2011).

8) FAU med students are sometimes asked to come speak for premed clubs (AMSA chapter)/classes. Not a big deal, maybe once your entire year for an hour, just q's about how you got in, etc

9) FAU right near huge Muvico for the people who love movies. Come out on Friday night and see all the souped-up ricers you can handle.

10) Downside: Cost, current concentration in one building (Biomedical Sciences), most people who live in Boca Raton have a lot of money and may act snobbish, meaning, you may encounter a stray rude person/bad driver here or there.

Also, avoid Glades Road if you can help it, because the congestion there (especially at rush hour) is beyond awful. There is a backroad called Spanish River Blvd that is much better, but it won't lead you directly to I-95.

Let me know if you have any q's...
 
Isnt' there a mall, starbucks etc. within 5 minutes walk from pretty much any point in south florida? lol My girlfriend was shocked when I said I had to drive an hour to a small mall where I lived. Also....if you aren't used to it traffic is frickin horrible everywhere there as well...but I know what you are saying about Glades Road.. Overall your description just sounds like that entire region to me. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read on here that FSU students can do their clinical rotations in Sarasota as one of the cities in their lottery. Does anyone know what hospital(s)?
 
That's a lot of information. You should do a search specificly regarding your area of interest. Each school specializes in different areas, has different funding, options, notable professors, facilities.

I'd look at schools with more focus on your future educational goal and go from there.

Plus, if you're not native to Florida consider weather also.
 
MossPoh said:
Isnt' there a mall, starbucks etc. within 5 minutes walk from pretty much any point in south florida? lol My girlfriend was shocked when I said I had to drive an hour to a small mall where I lived. Also....if you aren't used to it traffic is frickin horrible everywhere there as well...but I know what you are saying about Glades Road.. Overall your description just sounds like that entire region to me. 😛


I live on the west coast of Florida and there are only three Starbucks that I know of in my city! Two of them are 15 minutes by car and the third is about a half hour!! Good thing I don't like coffee anyway!
 
anyone get an email from USF asking if you met there minimum requirements??? Should we just send them a reply email saying yes send me the secondary or what?? Because they have sent me two of these emails now and no secondary.
 
lost cause said:
anyone get an email from USF asking if you met there minimum requirements??? Should we just send them a reply email saying yes send me the secondary or what?? Because they have sent me two of these emails now and no secondary.

yes, send an email saying you meet the minimums and that you are requesting a secondary. put "Secondary" in the subject line of the email. they should email you shortly with the secondary instructions
 
jbl16 said:
I also received and submitted the UM one. Havent heard from FSU and USF yet

Anybody receive the actual USF secondary yet? I've only received the request for my assurance that I meet the minimum requirements.
 
floridakppr said:
Anybody receive the actual USF secondary yet? I've only received the request for my assurance that I meet the minimum requirements.

yea i got it today, about an hour after i sent in my request. it's an online secondary with printable sections like the residence affidavit and fee form. so mailing and online sending is required, along with a 2x2 photo
 
Its weird that there is no length for the USF secondary essay...I got that secondary and I'm not even verified yet...Very strange!
 
Oculus Sinistra said:
10 more things about the FAU campus, for those who aren't from the area (Boca):
I thought the coolest thing about the FAU campus was the nerdery. The students each get their own little cubicle thingy, and it's really nice, like having your own little office. And I completely agree with what you said about safety, too. I walked around the FAU campus at night feeling way more comfortable than I was at Jackson during the day. 😉

Good luck to everyone filling out USF secondaries! If it's the same as last year's, it's just one autobiography essay, not too bad. Mine was about a page.

Those of you who are applying to UF will see an optional question asking where else you've applied on the secondary. FYI, you can leave it blank if you want. I did, and no one said a word to me about it at the interview. 🙂

Most schools seem to want a photo of you, and some want several. So if you're applying to a bunch of schools, I recommend that you go somewhere like Wal-Mart that has a studio and get the cheapest package. It will cost you like $8, and you will get a bunch of 3 x 5 photos that you can cut down to the 2 x 2 size. That way you won't have to keep buying passport photos for every school, which can get expensive after a while.
 
americanangel said:
Its weird that there is no length for the USF secondary essay...I got that secondary and I'm not even verified yet...Very strange!

same... apparently it takes 3 weeks for my transcripts to get from CA to DC... youd think they're sending them from taiwan... im stressing out!!! they should have gotten it two weeks ago!
 
MasterMD said:
same... apparently it takes 3 weeks for my transcripts to get from CA to DC... youd think they're sending them from taiwan... im stressing out!!! they should have gotten it two weeks ago!

I sent mine by two day mail because whenever I send mail from florida to nj or dc it takes 7 to 10 days...and thats just up the east coast....If they dont get them, you should think about sending another transcript. they could have lost yours in the pile. two of my transcripts got lost (in early june) and so i had to keep resending. If you send your transcripts by two day mail, you get a tracking number and can see when they were delivered to AMCAS. I'm sending everything by two day mail, just so I can get a tracking number and keep track of deliveries.
 
yes, send an email saying you meet the minimums and that you are requesting a secondary. put "Secondary" in the subject line of the email. they should email you shortly with the secondary instructions

What if you don't meet the requirements and you say yes anyway? Surely they check, don't they? What are the minimum requirements for USF?
 
MedStudentWanna said:
What if you don't meet the requirements and you say yes anyway? Surely they check, don't they? What are the minimum requirements for USF?

well the email says that if you meet one of the two criterias (GPA and MCAT) and the other one is slightly below, you can still say yes to requesting a secondary
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Concerning USF, what do you guys think if the MCAT score is high, but a subsection is a 7? According to the website, I could not do early decision if one subsection is below an 8. What is the possibility of an acceptance if I go the regular route?
 
americanangel said:
Its weird that there is no length for the USF secondary essay...I got that secondary and I'm not even verified yet...Very strange!

It is 1-1.5 pages......read the directions, my dear 🙂
 
Since I'm a Florida resident, I'm definitely applying to all the Florida schools. Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. I'm still researching the schools myself.
 
daisy958 said:
It is 1-1.5 pages......read the directions, my dear 🙂


hehe that part didnt print out!!! stupid printer now I really know I need to buy a new one!! Thanks, its as clear as day on the internet
 
How are all those secondaries coming along? Anyone have preferences concerning the florida schools? Just trying to keep this thread active so we can resemble the 05-06 thread 😀 .
 
James Moriarty said:
How are all those secondaries coming along? Anyone have preferences concerning the florida schools? Just trying to keep this thread active so we can resemble the 05-06 thread 😀 .
I should complete my file for UF and UM this week, I'm also mailing the USF required things tommorow.
 
jbl16 said:
I should complete my file for UF and UM this week, I'm also mailing the USF required things tommorow.

How long after you were verified did UF and UM send secondaries? I'm still not verified, but I did get USF secondary on Friday...I should be verified sometime this week, since my status says "Under Review."

Good luck on completing your file!
 
James Moriarty said:
How are all those secondaries coming along? Anyone have preferences concerning the florida schools? Just trying to keep this thread active so we can resemble the 05-06 thread 😀 .

one of my LOR writers pulled a fast one and forgot to turn my letter in and is now out of country....i have to wait till July 26 to complete my LOR file...my USF EDP deadline is August 15th....FRUSTRATION

at least I know it won't matter if I dont submit my USF secondary this week.. 🙁
 
rajad10 said:
one of my LOR writers pulled a fast one and forgot to turn my letter in and is now out of country....i have to wait till July 26 to complete my LOR file...my USF EDP deadline is August 15th....FRUSTRATION

at least I know it won't matter if I dont submit my USF secondary this week.. 🙁

I'm sorry bro. I don't believe it would make too much of a difference if you turned them in earlier then the 26th. Maybe Mr. Larkin will eventually see this thread and enlighten us. 🙂
 
rajad10 said:
one of my LOR writers pulled a fast one and forgot to turn my letter in and is now out of country....i have to wait till July 26 to complete my LOR file...my USF EDP deadline is August 15th....FRUSTRATION

at least I know it won't matter if I dont submit my USF secondary this week.. 🙁
sorry to hear that! you should still be ok to make your deadline.
 
americanangel said:
How long after you were verified did UF and UM send secondaries? I'm still not verified, but I did get USF secondary on Friday...I should be verified sometime this week, since my status says "Under Review."

Good luck on completing your file!

I got them the first day they started sending secondaries the last week of june. I've been verified since June 8th. You should get the secondaries much faster when you are verified since they are already receiving the AMCAS apps.
 
I'm a FL resident applying to all the MD Fl schools. I attend FAU and have a UM MS1 mentor that I talk to regularly. Boca especially Glades Road is really congested but the biomedical building (where the UM@FAU med students have class) is brand new and really nice. I really like how cooperative and laid back the UM med students are. Plus there's only 32 people in the class at FAU so the students get a lot of personal attention. I think that when we matriculate (hopefully) there will be 64 students at the UM@FAU med school. Good luck to all of my fellow applicants. That was just my 2 cents. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ginkneephur said:
I'm a FL resident applying to all the MD Fl schools. I attend FAU and have a UM MS1 mentor that I talk to regularly. Boca especially Glades Road is really congested but the biomedical building (where the UM@FAU med students have class) is brand new and really nice. I really like how cooperative and laid back the UM med students are. Plus there's only 32 people in the class at FAU so the students get a lot of personal attention. I think that when we matriculate (hopefully) there will be 64 students at the UM@FAU med school. Good luck to all of my fellow applicants. That was just my 2 cents. 😀

Good luck to you, too man.
 
For people who HAVE VISITED OR LIVED near one or both USF and Miami. What did you think of the location (city, beach quality, activities...) at and around the school. I have never been to miami and have not visited Tampa in quite a few years so i am completely unfamilar with either location. I am paticularly interested in finding out about the location of USF because i plan on visiting it at the end of the summer to find out if it's in a location i would be happy with. For people who either live there or are very familar with the surrounding area, I would like info about what i should visit while i am there.(other than the school)
 
cbennett said:
For people who HAVE VISITED OR LIVED near one or both USF and Miami. What did you think of the location (city, beach quality, activities...) at and around the school. I have never been to miami and have not visited Tampa in quite a few years so i am completely unfamilar with either location. I am paticularly interested in finding out about the location of USF because i plan on visiting it at the end of the summer to find out if it's in a location i would be happy with. For people who either live there or are very familar with the surrounding area, I would like info about what i should visit while i am there.(other than the school)

I live in Tampa Bay, so I guess I can speak for Tampa. My only experience with Miami was driving through 95 on my way to the keys...so I'll leave Miami to more experiences hands. My favorite thing about Tampa Bay is the water. But USF is about a half hour away from the water. USF is located one or two exits north of Bush Garden on 275. The Traffic in the I4 275 (mulfunction junction) is absolutely horrible during rush hours. University Mall is only down the street from USF but I heard there was a robbery there yesterday at the jewelry store. Tampa is full of some great restaurants and things to do. If your into the party scene, Ybor is right down the street. A couple times a year, there are awesome pirades in Tampa and St. Pete. The krewes throw lots of beads and most people end up really drunk especially at Gasparilla (pretend pirate invasion that been going on over here for about 100yrs). Most of the places I visit our in South Tampa-Westshore Mall & International Plaza! Up by USF there are lots of stores...Really everything that you would possibly need is right there!

Tampa is only over the bridge from St. Pete and Clearwater. The beaches are beautiful and the water is unbeleiveable (as long as there isn't Red Tide). Honestly, anything that is any decent sized city can be found in either St. Pete or Tampa. There are some very afluent neighborhoods and then there are some neighborhoods that very few people venture into.

I've also heard stories, that Tampa Bay is protected from hurricanes by the ancient Indians that once lived in the region. The Indians placed a blessing on the land to protect the deceased bodies from storms.

I love Tampa Bay...Its really hope...I hope you enjoy it!!! Its yours for the exploring!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.