Who's applying to Florida schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

floridakppr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an all purpose thread for people applying to Florida Medical Schools including USF, UF, UM, and FSU. Good luck to all applicants both in-state and OOS.

What are the biggest differences between UF, USF, FSU, and UM? Location, curriculum, class composition? Anything not answered by the MSAR?

Members don't see this ad.

floridakppr said:
What are the biggest differences between UF, USF, FSU, and UM? Location, curriculum, class composition? Anything not answered by the MSAR?

im applying early decision to USF, but I can't even begin to type an answer to your question because there's just too much to write. There's been threads about this before - use the search

I am applying to Florida schools as well....although have no answer your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
rajad10 said:
im applying early decision to USF, but I can't even begin to type an answer to your question because there's just too much to write. There's been threads about this before - use the search

How/why is USF far superior to FSU, UF, and UM?

Using search I gathered that class composition is one of the key differences. UF has at least one class with mostly gunners while USF has more of a cooperative atmosphere. However, search didn't uncover threads that cover the gamut of information. Might just be my inpatience when searching. :smuggrin:

floridakppr said:

Using search I gathered that class composition is one of the key differences. UF has at least one class with mostly gunners while USF has more of a cooperative atmosphere. However, search didn't uncover threads that cover the gamut of information. Might just be my inpatience when searching. :smuggrin:

One of my good friends is graduating the FSU med school program in May 08 and she tells me that the program is really good, having some kind of differant teaching method.

Sammi said:
One of my good friends is graduating the FSU med school program in May 08 and she tells me that the program is really good, having some kind of differant teaching method.

MSAR: "The first and second year integrated curriculum uses case-based and problem-based learning..." FSU is a new school embracing new teaching methods. Did your friend say anything about the hospitals/clinics in which she does her rotations?

floridakppr said:

im not saying USF is superior, but for me, it was an easy decision to make. I wanted a large city atmosphere (tampa) with an emphasis on clinical practice. usf arguabley has the most clinicial experience in the state. they have a longitudinal clinical experience program where you are are paired with a preceptor starting from the first week or so i think. tampa general is a huge hospital with much trauma and transplant cases. what you say about the cooperative students is true. when your admissions has a strong emphasis on community service, rather than mcat and gpas, that's bound to happen. i think in florida - its best to choose based on what you're looking for, each school has their own marketing strategy as they are all good at different things. FSU does have the new facilities and problem based learning; they also have a program geared towards making primary care physicians (family practice, internal medicine, etc.). look more stuff up and choose according to what YOU like. no school is far superior to the others, per say.

rajad10 said:
im not saying USF is superior, but for me, it was an easy decision to make. I wanted a large city atmosphere (tampa) with an emphasis on clinical practice. usf arguabley has the most clinicial experience in the state. they have a longitudinal clinical experience program where you are are paired with a preceptor starting from the first week or so i think. tampa general is a huge hospital with much trauma and transplant cases. what you say about the cooperative students is true. when your admissions has a strong emphasis on community service, rather than mcat and gpas, that's bound to happen. i think in florida - its best to choose based on what you're looking for, each school has their own marketing strategy as they are all good at different things. FSU does have the new facilities and problem based learning; they also have a program geared towards making primary care physicians (family practice, internal medicine, etc.). look more stuff up and choose according to what YOU like. no school is far superior to the others, per say.
Thanks, some of this is information that I would have to dig throught the internet for.

USF has more positives,too. Moffitt Cancer Center is the third busiest outpatient cancer hospital in the nation and the Haley VA is the busiest outpatient VA in the nation.

Good luck with the USF EDP.

I believe UF and Miami are slightly more competitive of the 4 schools with regards to residency match. I just dont like tampa....usf is a great school (and getting even better). They are able to provide good learning experiences throughout their many hospitals...basically they use teaching hospitals throughout tampa. Just remember that the best school for someone else may not be the best school for you!

I'm applying to FL!!! I love it here and I really don't want to leave the state since I want to practice here in the future! I'll be happy with either of the Florida schools, although Miami and USF (Tampa-Bay native---BUCS country!!) are my top choices!
Good luck you guys

americanangel said:
I'm applying to FL!!! I love it here and I really don't want to leave the state since I want to practice here in the future! I'll be happy with either of the Florida schools, although Miami and USF (Tampa-Bay native---BUCS country!!) are my top choices!
Good luck you guys

Same here. I have lived in FL for more than 8 years now, and plan to practice here as well. Will see what happens. With a 28 on the MCAT, I am not sure that I will be getting much love from FSU, USF, and Miami. I am not even applying to UF. Darn MCAT.

onmywayRN said:
Same here. I have lived in FL for more than 8 years now, and plan to practice here as well. Will see what happens. With a 28 on the MCAT, I am not sure that I will be getting much love from FSU, USF, and Miami. I am not even applying to UF. Darn MCAT.

A 28 is competitive enough for USF...as long as your GPA is decent. You, I assume, have medical experience with the RN, so USF should LOVE you!!!

daisy958 said:
I believe UF and Miami are slightly more competitive of the 4 schools with regards to residency match. I just dont like tampa....usf is a great school (and getting even better). They are able to provide good learning experiences throughout their many hospitals...basically they use teaching hospitals throughout tampa. Just remember that the best school for someone else may not be the best school for you!

actually residency matches for the past year have been about equal for all three, according to a thread earlier in which people posted the matches for all the schools. In terms of admission, UM and USF have equal numbers (30 MCAT), UF has slightly higher MCAT averages (32). GPA's for all three are high 3.6's - low 3.7's. FSU is the mystery for residency matches as they don't have enough data yet

Members don't see this ad :)
onmywayRN said:

Don't count yourself out (Most of the FL schools have a 24 minimum on MCAT to get a secondary, so you'll definately have secondaries)...I had a friend last year who got into everyone of the FL schools and she had a 27....I'm retaking in August bc I wasn't happy with my scores....But with your experience, the schools should really love you!

I have a question for you guys...If you've been verified have you heard anything about secondaries yet? I'm still waiting to be verified (submitted two weeks ago) and I was just wondering when the secondaries would come out!

americanangel said:
Don't count yourself out (Most of the FL schools have a 24 minimum on MCAT to get a secondary, so you'll definately have secondaries)...I had a friend last year who got into everyone of the FL schools and she had a 27....I'm retaking in August bc I wasn't happy with my scores....But with your experience, the schools should really love you!

I have a question for you guys...If you've been verified have you heard anything about secondaries yet? I'm still waiting to be verified (submitted two weeks ago) and I was just wondering when the secondaries would come out!

I haven't applied to these schools, but apparently UF and UM have started to release secondaries to verified applicants. Not sure about FSU. USF has yet to release as well. COME ON USF - the bad thing about EDP is that waiting on only one secondary is very painful :smuggrin:

rajad10 said:
I haven't applied to these schools, but apparently UF and UM have started to release secondaries to verified applicants. Not sure about FSU. USF has yet to release as well. COME ON USF - the bad thing about EDP is that waiting on only one secondary is very painful :smuggrin:

well good luck with EDP @ USF....I wish my primary was verified, I can't wait to start my secondaries....

As a reapplicant and FL resident, there are some differences in the FL schools. UM is private, so it will cost more. FSU is new and after the first two years you are put into a lottery and are placed in Orlando, Tallahassee, Pensacola or Sarasota. They are working on adding a few more cities, not Jacksonville though even though they still say that. IF you have any specific questions just send me a message.

onmywayRN said:

A 28 is acceptable for FSU too. Anyone go to one of the Florida forums this year?

americanangel said:

The MSAR indicates that UF's earliest filing date for the secondary is July 15. Is this a type-o?

I know that FSU has beautiful new buildings with all sorts of neat stuff....If you like a midsized town then FSU is for you. Still pretty close to a beach/water if you crave that like I do a lot. (About 35 minutes..or at least with my driving 35) I have two years still but, as I have said probably a dozen times..I'm just applying to ever school in Florida..including the brand new ones that may be finished when it is my time.

Hey guys...the thread that medgator posted is last year's Florida thread that had some useful (and not so useful, as you will see) information on it. Dr. Larkin (screen-name: REL) specifically posted on the differences between USF and UM at one point on that thread, so that would be very useful for anyone comparing those 2 schools-and even though he's the dean at USF, the post was pretty unbiased!

Of all the schools that I withdrew my acceptance from last year, I'd have to say that FSU was one of the toughest. If you interview there and have never seen everything they do there, I think you will also be impressed. I went to FSU for undergrad, so I thought I knew a lot about the school...but realistically, I was breath-taken when I interviewed there. It may be a new school, but the students are extremely happy there and they have every reason to be. Also, as someone mentioned earlier...they do have a "lottery" as to what city you do your clinicals in...but the lottery isn't completely arbitrary...you tell them your first, second, third choice and they try to get you where you want to go.

I was verified by early-mid June last year and I think I received my first FL secondary in July...which was USF's secondary. So don't worry, the secondaries should be coming out soon! Anyways, good luck to everyone!!!

KatdyerA1A said:
As a reapplicant and FL resident, there are some differences in the FL schools. UM is private, so it will cost more. FSU is new and after the first two years you are put into a lottery and are placed in Orlando, Tallahassee, Pensacola or Sarasota. They are working on adding a few more cities, not Jacksonville though even though they still say that. IF you have any specific questions just send me a message.

Cool, I didn't know that about FSU. So why are the classes taught at different cities? What would be the purpose of that?

americanangel said:
Cool, I didn't know that about FSU. So why are the classes taught at different cities? What would be the purpose of that?

Does FSU do this out of obligation or choice? Are there limited numbers of capable hospitals in Tallahasee?

I am applying to med schools this time around as well and am a Fl resident (at FSU for undergrad). I am a little partial to going to FSU for med school b/c I love Tallahassee, and FSU, but I want to do orthopedics, and am wondering if it would be advantagious for me to go to one of the other Fl med schools because I want to do orthopedics.

laneyj34 said:
I am applying to med schools this time around as well and am a Fl resident (at FSU for undergrad). I am a little partial to going to FSU for med school b/c I love Tallahassee, and FSU, but I want to do orthopedics, and am wondering if it would be advantagious for me to go to one of the other Fl med schools because I want to do orthopedics.

I heard that USF lost its orthopedic program a few years ago. They had a falling out with the orthopedics in the region. But, on the brightside, I heard that they are working to restore their orthopedic program (I'm not a 100% sure if they are still in the process of rebuilding it or if they have a decent program yet)!

I am applying as a FL resident this cycle, though I doubt I'll have a shot anywhere but Miami. I had terrible undergrad grades, but have tried making up for it over three years of post-bacc and an SMP.

I'm interested in Ortho also, and I would warn anyone thinking of FSU that matching in Ortho is second only to Derm in terms of competitivness. There was one person in their inaugural class that matched in Ortho, but by and large, it is not a good idea to go there thinking you will have a shot. Your best bet would be UF. After that, Miami and USF are very close in terms of 5-year matches into Ortho, though Miami has an Ortho program, so that would it give it an edge.

americanangel said:
I heard that USF lost its orthopedic program a few years ago. They had a falling out with the orthopedics in the region. But, on the brightside, I heard that they are working to restore their orthopedic program (I'm not a 100% sure if they are still in the process of rebuilding it or if they have a decent program yet)!
UF has a new Ortho and sports rehab facility that is seperate from the hospital and is very nice. In addition, UF is a D-1 sports program with lots of student athletes in every sport. You can see a wide range of sports injuries. Here is a link to their website if you want to check it out. Good Luck! http://www.ortho.ufl.edu/osmi.aspx

Aside from location, is there a big difference in curriculum or focus between the Boca Raton and Miami campuses of University of Miami?

notdeadyet said:
Aside from location, is there a big difference in curriculum or focus between the Boca Raton and Miami campuses of University of Miami?
The curriculums are identical at the Boca and Miami campus..they also take the exact same exams that are created prior to the start of class so that the professors cover the same material and there are no "surprises" on exams from miscommunication between campuses. (or at least this is what we were told).

So are you all saying that going to FSU may hurt my chances to do ortho? Where can I find out all of this information (ie who matched where in each class)? Also, is there anywhere that I can find the step 1 and step 2 score avgs for each school?

Hey I'm applying to all four med schools in florida also, but did anyone hear that at UF the kids are alittle more cut-throat than the other institutions??? And that UF puts more emphasis on number's in the app. process. I'm not knocking UF because I would love to go there but I have heard this from several different people.

McMD said:
The curriculums are identical at the Boca and Miami campus..they also take the exact same exams that are created prior to the start of class so that the professors cover the same material and there are no "surprises" on exams from miscommunication between campuses. (or at least this is what we were told).
Thanks, McMD. Good to know. Their web site looks like each campus had its own marketer, so the copy read differently. Good to know you're choosing zip code, not curriculum.

i hope we can have a fun/informative florida thread, like last years, as this application season passes. good luck to everyone

McMD said:
For the entering class of 2007 the Boca program is a full four year program with its own curriculum and variation, check the UM website for details. Before 2007 it was a 2 year programs with the last 2 years in Miami.

Hi everyone,

FL applicant from last year. I would say that you really need to decide what matters most to you. I agree wholeheartedly with whomever said that you can't decide anything based on what someone else wants. Here are my thoughts about the pros and cons of the FL schools. (I didn't apply to FSU, so no comments about them.)

UF
Pros: best research school in FL, Shands is awesome, Harvey (robotic dummy) was invented here and is freakishly lifelike (it blinks when it's awake!), students seem really happy about being there, early clinical exposure, one of the best interviews I went on ANYWHERE :thumbup:
Cons: young class, more intense, less diverse, Gainesville (college town with limited things to do outside of bars, although the area around Gainesville is very pretty if you're into nature), have to do some rotations in Jax

USF
Pros: Tampa (Miami is too big, and Gainesville is too small, but Tampa is juuuust right), new sim center, most diverse class (age, ethnicity, you name it; USF is VERY non-trad friendly), TGH and Moffitt are great, REL and the rest of the totally awesome USF staff (make an appointment to meet with him if you haven't already before you apply!)
Cons: fewer research opportunities, some students were unhappy to be there b/c they wanted to go to one of the other FL schools but didn't get in, have to drive all over the Tampa Bay area for your rotations

Miami:
Pros: FAU campus is amazingly awesome and nice (check it out at your interview day!), great clinical training at Jackson (if you want to do EM, this is your school), laid-back students, fairly diverse class, some scholarships awarded so that it won't cost more than one of the public schools
Cons: Students might be TOO laid back, I got threatened on my way to the interview by a panhandler who was pissed when I didn't have money to give him, there seems to be tension and negativity between the two campuses, one of the WORST interviews I went on (the panhandler was just the beginning of an utterly awful day)

QofQuimica said:
Hi everyone,

FL applicant from last year. I would say that you really need to decide what matters most to you. I agree wholeheartedly with whomever said that you can't decide anything based on what someone else wants. Here are my thoughts about the pros and cons of the FL schools. (I didn't apply to FSU, so no comments about them.)

UF
Pros: best research school in FL, Shands is awesome, Harvey (robotic dummy) was invented here and is freakishly lifelike (it blinks when it's awake!), students seem really happy about being there, early clinical exposure, one of the best interviews I went on ANYWHERE :thumbup:
Cons: young class, more intense, less diverse, Gainesville (college town with limited things to do outside of bars, although the area around Gainesville is very pretty if you're into nature), have to do some rotations in Jax

USF
Pros: Tampa (Miami is too big, and Gainesville is too small, but Tampa is juuuust right), new sim center, most diverse class (age, ethnicity, you name it; USF is VERY non-trad friendly), TGH and Moffitt are great, REL and the rest of the totally awesome USF staff (make an appointment to meet with him if you haven't already before you apply!)
Cons: fewer research opportunities, some students were unhappy to be there b/c they wanted to go to one of the other FL schools but didn't get in, have to drive all over the Tampa Bay area for your rotations

Miami:
Pros: FAU campus is amazingly awesome and nice (check it out at your interview day!), great clinical training at Jackson (if you want to do EM, this is your school), laid-back students, fairly diverse class, some scholarships awarded so that it won't cost more than one of the public schools
Cons: Students might be TOO laid back, I got threatened on my way to the interview by a panhandler who was pissed when I didn't have money to give him, there seems to be tension and negativity between the two campuses, one of the WORST interviews I went on (the panhandler was just the beginning of an utterly awful day)

So which one will you be attending? :)

I was just admitted into the Junior Honors Medical Program at UF after attending FSU so I have an interesting perspective from both campuses.

FSU's faculty, new buildings, and innovative use of technology are extraordinarily appealing with respect to the curriculum and learning. I have some very good friends from the class of 2010 who just began June 5th, and they are having a very good experience so far. I was very involved with the pre-med clubs at FSU and did research in the biomedical sciences portion of the COM, and thus I have an intimate acqutaince with the entire program so to speak. Needless to say, it makes me sad to leave FSU.

Even so, I am very excited to join the gators in the fall. UF may not have the newest facilities, but it's momentum and the sheer activity (due to being around Shands and the McKnight Brain Institute) makes one awe in the wonder of it all. From what I've heard after talking to the UF students, everyone is really cooperative and nice. As with every class, there are a few gunners, but besides that everyone else is extremely focused, yet very willing to help their fellow peers.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but both schools are definitely superb. The main reason I chose to matriculate through UF is because I believe I may want to pursue academic medicine down the road. While this may be possible at FSU, it's focus and message are centered upon primary care physicians.

I hope this is some what elucidating. :)

So which of the four schools would you consider for a surgical subspeciality? I'm planning on going into pediatric surgery, so my basic question is: Which school would prepare me the best and hopefully get me the best residency for such a field? I live in Tampa Bay and I love All Children's, but I know there is an awesome pediatric hospital in Maimi and one up in north Florida that I think is assocated with UF. I'm just looking toward the future here...Any insight?

Happy 4th of July

americanangel said:
So which of the four schools would you consider for a surgical subspeciality? I'm planning on going into pediatric surgery, so my basic question is: Which school would prepare me the best and hopefully get me the best residency for such a field? I live in Tampa Bay and I love All Children's, but I know there is an awesome pediatric hospital in Maimi and one up in north Florida that I think is assocated with UF. I'm just looking toward the future here...Any insight?

Happy 4th of July

Peds is a fellowship after general surgery. So you would have to match into and complete a 5 year general surgery residency first, which, while not easy, is not very hard to get. Getting a peds fellowship depends on how well you do in your residency, not where you went to med school or how well you did there. You could get into a very good general surgery program from any of the four schools.

jbl16 said:
I already filled and submitted my secondary for UF
Anybody else receive secondaries for any florida schools yet?

junebuguf said:
Peds is a fellowship after general surgery. So you would have to match into and complete a 5 year general surgery residency first, which, while not easy, is not very hard to get. Getting a peds fellowship depends on how well you do in your residency, not where you went to med school or how well you did there. You could get into a very good general surgery program from any of the four schools.

Cool thanks!

floridakppr said:
Anybody else receive secondaries for any florida schools yet?

the secondaries thread shows UM has already screened and sent out some, UF has also sent out some secondaries. No word on USF or FSU

From my understanding, everyone who applies to FSU automatically gets a secondary. That's what Dr. Peter Eveland has told everyone during his informational visits to AED or MAPS at FSU. I think the only time one wouldn't receive a secondary is if you weren't a florida resident.

I heard that FIU and UCF are both opening up med schools in 2008, is this true?

BILAL said:

correct

BILAL said:

I just hope that it doesn't get pushed back.

I really wish they'd put more information up about the new schools...that is going to be right around my app time....

Status
Not open for further replies.