Who's applying to Florida schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All!
I've been enjoying this FL thread for months now, and I have finally decided to seek some advice from you wise fellow FL folk. I am a current UF student, with family in St. Petersburg, and I have been accepted to UF and USF. I know it is an awesome problem to have, but I am really having difficulty deciding. I really would have called USF my number one choice, except that my interview day seemed really underwhelming. I guess i just didn't get a feel at all about what USF is really about. My question is, do you guys know if USF and/or UF has a second look? I haven't heard anything about this and it seems like this would really help. Also, if a school doesn't have a second look, have you ever heard of anyone shadowing a student or something like that? I am just grasping at straws trying to get the info I need. Thanks for all of your help, and for the FL applicant support!
 
I am on hold post interview. Both interviewers told me I am what FSU is looking for, so I figured I would be accepted.

I already sent Jamie my updated grades, which brought the GPA up, though not a ton.

I have a job at Princeton Review and several LOR's I did not give them (because they only ask for three). Should I send the LOR's and tell them of the job?

Finally, who on SDN goes to FSUCOM? Where can I find that out?

You can find out who goes to FSU by posting a thread in the allo forum or seeing if there's a way you can search for the old class threads from last year. It would not hurt to update them with your extracurriculars and other such things you have done either.
 
You can find out who goes to FSU by posting a thread in the allo forum or seeing if there's a way you can search for the old class threads from last year. It would not hurt to update them with your extracurriculars and other such things you have done either.

You can also go to FSUCOM website and they have a section on it for their current students. This sections has pictures, bios, and emails for their current students. Many of them are willing to help people interested in attending FSU.
 
You can also go to FSUCOM website and they have a section on it for their current students. This sections has pictures, bios, and emails for their current students. Many of them are willing to help people interested in attending FSU.

can you post a link to this?
 
Thanks for all the support everyone. I have some new developments lately - ie: starting to volunteer and do research within the next month. When should I start updating UM/USF of this information? I suppose I'll be well into it all 2 months down the line...is that too late? I'm hoping to maybe send in an additional letter from my new research supervisor.

What do you guys think? 🙂

PS - Laney...I'm routing for you!
 
Thanks for all the support everyone. I have some new developments lately - ie: starting to volunteer and do research within the next month. When should I start updating UM/USF of this information? I suppose I'll be well into it all 2 months down the line...is that too late? I'm hoping to maybe send in an additional letter from my new research supervisor.

What do you guys think? 🙂

PS - Laney...I'm routing for you!

I don't really know much as far as when you should update the schools but I just wanted to wish you good luck! I hope things work out for you.
 
Thanks for all the support everyone. I have some new developments lately - ie: starting to volunteer and do research within the next month. When should I start updating UM/USF of this information? I suppose I'll be well into it all 2 months down the line...is that too late? I'm hoping to maybe send in an additional letter from my new research supervisor.

What do you guys think? 🙂

PS - Laney...I'm routing for you!

:luck:, I would try to inform them as fast as possible once you start (first few weeks?).
 
Thanks for the info guys.

Keep that cheering coming Jessy!

I will keep you all posted.
 
My application at UM/FSU have been complete since late August, and my application to USF has been complete since late November. I havn't heard anything yet! I starting to get worried. If they did reject me, when would I hear something. I would rather know now than later. Please dont tell me they wait until April to send out rejections.
 
Hey All!
I've been enjoying this FL thread for months now, and I have finally decided to seek some advice from you wise fellow FL folk. I am a current UF student, with family in St. Petersburg, and I have been accepted to UF and USF. I know it is an awesome problem to have, but I am really having difficulty deciding. I really would have called USF my number one choice, except that my interview day seemed really underwhelming. I guess i just didn't get a feel at all about what USF is really about. My question is, do you guys know if USF and/or UF has a second look? I haven't heard anything about this and it seems like this would really help. Also, if a school doesn't have a second look, have you ever heard of anyone shadowing a student or something like that? I am just grasping at straws trying to get the info I need. Thanks for all of your help, and for the FL applicant support!

Congrats on those two acceptances. I don't know about USF, but UF will have a second look weekend. I believe it is sometime in April. They haven't announced dates yet but when they sent the information with the acceptance the letter mentioned that there will be a second look weekend sometime in April and that they would contact us.
 
For those who got accepted into USF and UF, what was your GPA and MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering what they accept..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who got accepted into USF and UF, what was your GPA and MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering what they accept..

UF acceptance with a 30 and a 3.65.

Good extracurriculars and 3 years of research. I think I had 2 good interviews. I also go to Penn so the 3.65 might carry a little more weight.
 
32 MCAT (10V, 10P, 12B), 3.6 total, 3.45 science. I got an interview from UF, but feel kind of underqualified, especially after hearing in the presentation that the average GPA for acceptance is 3.8 and so far the average MCAT for people accepted this year is around 33. Both of my interviewers said there was nothing academically that would make them question my ability there. One even said I have a strong GPA. Do they just try to tell everyone these things so they feel more at ease during the interview? I just don't see how I could look strong (going by numbers anyways.)
 
Since you are waitlisted at both schools, any material you send would be in the form of an update letter. Schools will put the letter in your file and consider it during future meetings of the waitlist. I don't know or remember offhand if USF or UMiami put a lot of weight onto these letters. (I thought the waitlist at USF was set and does not change unless others students above you start removing their names. I could be totally wrong about the the university's procedure.) If nothing else, writing one will at least demonstrate that you are still interested in the programs. After you have started the lab work and volunteering, write a letter addressed to the admissions committee stating that you are involved in a new extracurricular, what the job entails, what your role will be, what you are learning, and most importantly, how your new extracurricular is preparing you for medical practice. If you submit your letters two months from now (March), you'll be mailing them right as the interview season is coming to an end and admissions committees are gearing up for some major shuffling on the waitlist.

Before putting in the extra effort to draft a letter, you should PM, email, or call REL to get a feel for the mechanics of USF's waitlist. I do remember that when I interviewed there, he told my group to alert him to any changes that have occurred between our application submission and the interview.
 
Since you are waitlisted at both schools, any material you send would be in the form of an update letter. Schools will put the letter in your file and consider it during future meetings of the waitlist. I don't know or remember offhand if USF or UMiami put a lot of weight onto these letters. (I thought the waitlist at USF was set and does not change unless others students above you start removing their names. I could be totally wrong about the the university's procedure.) If nothing else, writing one will at least demonstrate that you are still interested in the programs. After you have started the lab work and volunteering, write a letter addressed to the admissions committee stating that you are involved in a new extracurricular, what the job entails, what your role will be, what you are learning, and most importantly, how your new extracurricular is preparing you for medical practice. If you submit your letters two months from now (March), you'll be mailing them right as the interview season is coming to an end and admissions committees are gearing up for some major shuffling on the waitlist.

Before putting in the extra effort to draft a letter, you should PM, email, or call REL to get a feel for the mechanics of USF's waitlist. I do remember that when I interviewed there, he told my group to alert him to any changes that have occurred between our application submission and the interview.

Thanks, my friend. As always, you have proved most helpful. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a much better shot at UM, since I don't think their waitlists works the fixed way that USF's does. I will try and send a letter in march, and maybe ask Dr. Hinkley about it in the coming weeks.
 
I got into UF and USF with a 3.71 overall, 3.56 BCPM and a 36P. My e.c.'s are average I would guess, and my interviews went well I think, but they weren't perfect or anything. I just talked up wanting to stay in state. Hope that helps
 
Since you are waitlisted at both schools, any material you send would be in the form of an update letter. Schools will put the letter in your file and consider it during future meetings of the waitlist. I don't know or remember offhand if USF or UMiami put a lot of weight onto these letters. (I thought the waitlist at USF was set and does not change unless others students above you start removing their names. I could be totally wrong about the the university's procedure.) If nothing else, writing one will at least demonstrate that you are still interested in the programs. After you have started the lab work and volunteering, write a letter addressed to the admissions committee stating that you are involved in a new extracurricular, what the job entails, what your role will be, what you are learning, and most importantly, how your new extracurricular is preparing you for medical practice. If you submit your letters two months from now (March), you'll be mailing them right as the interview season is coming to an end and admissions committees are gearing up for some major shuffling on the waitlist.

Before putting in the extra effort to draft a letter, you should PM, email, or call REL to get a feel for the mechanics of USF's waitlist. I do remember that when I interviewed there, he told my group to alert him to any changes that have occurred between our application submission and the interview.

Good post and I do believe that you are right on from my understanding through other previous applicants experiences.
 
For those who got accepted into USF and UF, what was your GPA and MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering what they accept..

To get a straight out acceptance at USF, most of my friends (non SDN members) who got in right away had 3.7+GPAs. Most of whom had GPAs mostly in the 3.7-3.9 something GPAs. By something I mean I'm not counting the difference between 3.88 and 3.81. Those people also had MCAT score ranges of 28-37.

Most of those people, not all but most of those people had done a lot of clinical experience in terms of shadowing/volunteering or out right working in a medical field as a nurse or radiology assistant or other such jobs that give you exposure into the medical field.

However that does not mean that all of those people who had a straight out acceptance without getting waitlisted first were necessary the people who made up the final class. A lot of the straight up acceptees at USF ended up at different schools due to gaining other acceptances.

So a lot of the actual matriculants who I know that were on a waitlist at first had GPA ranges of 3.5-3.7+ with a few with slightly lower then 3.5. Of those, I know of at least 2-3 people who've had like a 3.2 overall even after postbac and like mid 30's score on the MCAT and those whereas I've also known people with a 3.6 and 26 MCAT score to get in off a waitlist as well as cases as extreme as 3.9 and 26 MCAT.

The running factor with USF beyond the numbers is having volunteerism and clinical experience which they regard as more important then research though research will still help you in the long run.
 
Thanks, my friend. As always, you have proved most helpful. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a much better shot at UM, since I don't think their waitlists works the fixed way that USF's does. I will try and send a letter in march, and maybe ask Dr. Hinkley about it in the coming weeks.

Actually, unless Miami has changed from last year, they interview through the end of April (not March), so if you are trying to time the letter to coincide with changing the focus to waitlist, April-early May would be a better time to get the committee's notice when they turn their attention once again to the waitlist.

And my understanding of USF's waitlist is that an update letter will not affect your standing/priority on the waitlist.
 
Actually, unless Miami has changed from last year, they interview through the end of April (not March), so if you are trying to time the letter to coincide with changing the focus to waitlist, April-early May would be a better time to get the committee's notice when they turn their attention once again to the waitlist.

And my understanding of USF's waitlist is that an update letter will not affect your standing/priority on the waitlist.

Yeah I know that about USF. I'm not counting on them to let me in, although REL says to stay positive. I will, of course send a letter, but really it's just because it would be stupid not to if I've been doing new things. I will probably still send it in March and call to talk to someone once interviewing is over.

Thanks for the info.
 
Hey everybody! I think everyone took the weekend off to enjoy the great weather. I just wanted to bump this thread back up to the first couple of pages (it was on page 5!!!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone...I would like to throw my situation out there and see what you guys think and what advice you can offer.

Right now I have an acceptance to UM. I am very excited for many reasons, but mostly because I have an acceptance to any medical school. I grew up in South Miami and I went to UM for undergrad and loved it. I think the school is great, I have a lot of friends there, and I am excited about the clinical experience. And if I go to UM I will have my mom to live with, about a 20 minute commute with no traffic. So only tuition expenses.

My other option is USF, where I am on the waitlist. If accepted to USF, I was thinking of living somewhere between USF and my husband's job and having a longer commute (possibly an hour). Many people seem to think I won't be able to handle the commute as a first year. But I am also concerned because UM might be better for obtaining a residecy in CA...where I would eventually like to end up.

So UM: Live with Mom and see hubby on weekends.

OR

USF: Live with hubby and have a long commute.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
 
When I visited USF, I got the idea that a significant number of students lived 45 min - 1 hr away and commuted on days where attendance was MANDATORY. Now, it depends on whether or not you like to go to class, and what you want out of your marriage.

Marriage:

Realistically, as a medical student trying to study, I don't know that you will see your husband every weekend if you go to UM, and even when you do see him on weekends, you will be studying. Weekends are the days that students have a huge block of time to study and usually take advantage of that uninterrupted time. If you at least live an hour away from USF, you can see your husband every night and on weekends, and then you have a greater likelihood of having a more "normal" marriage. Maybe you can only study on campus and then leave time at home for just the two of you, or you can skip class a lot...that depends.

Residency:

I think you can make the most of the match at either place. Granted the Jackson health system is pretty amazing, but with an externship in CA or some interested activities while in med school, I'm sure you can match into a CA school from USF. I think part of the reason why the match list is less impressive at USF, is because lots of the people who go there are FROM Florida and are very tied to it. I don't mean to sound critical of that, because to each his own, but everyone I met on my interview day was from somewhere in Florida (a smaller town) and was intent on staying in the Tampa area or somewhere in North Florida.

Since UM is a private school, you have more people who come from different places, and maybe even more people from different schools outside of Florida. So, people tend to match widely around the US, because of previous experiences and because they may not be from our state.

That's just my 2 cents. You guys can add. I think the USF sounds like a better option for you marriage, to be honest, and it's a fine school too 🙂

Hi Everyone...I would like to throw my situation out there and see what you guys think and what advice you can offer.

Right now I have an acceptance to UM. I am very excited for many reasons, but mostly because I have an acceptance to any medical school. I grew up in South Miami and I went to UM for undergrad and loved it. I think the school is great, I have a lot of friends there, and I am excited about the clinical experience. And if I go to UM I will have my mom to live with, about a 20 minute commute with no traffic. So only tuition expenses.

My other option is USF, where I am on the waitlist. If accepted to USF, I was thinking of living somewhere between USF and my husband's job and having a longer commute (possibly an hour). Many people seem to think I won't be able to handle the commute as a first year. But I am also concerned because UM might be better for obtaining a residecy in CA...where I would eventually like to end up.

So UM: Live with Mom and see hubby on weekends.

OR

USF: Live with hubby and have a long commute.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
 
Hi FutureDoc, Congrats on your acceptance to Miami!

Right now, I'm looking at the real possibility of going to school at USF and commuting to see my Significant Other (SO) on weekends down here in South Florida. I love USF and would be thrilled with an acceptance there....but it will be so difficult to be separated from my SO during the week. My SO works late during the week, but it is nice to have that time at night and early morning and just stay connected. For as much as loved USF, I am hoping to hear something good from either Miami campus so that I could have the option of pursuing my dream while being close to my SO. We did do a similar commute while we were dating for about a year and it was fine...but I think it would be weird as a married couple to living in separate households for FOUR years...and four very stressful years at that.

So my advice to you...if you get into USF, go to USF and live with your hubby 7 days a week. Plus, you'd all be saving $10k a year, which amounts to $40k in principal over the four years....trust me that makes a difference when it comes to paying back these loans. Also, I agree with Jessy Erin that a perceived better match list from Miami is not a good reason to put some serious strain on your relationship and finances. I mean, if were talking Hopkins v. USF, then maybe I'd consider it...but it's Miami v. USF....and I think that whatever differences there may be between Miami and USF in terms of national reputation, ranking and/or prestige can be bridged simply by you doing well and standing out in your class and board scores. Being middle of the road at Miami is not going to open many doors in California...but being top of your class and board scores at Miami or USF will open plenty doors anywhere.
 
Does anyone know if the UM online application status thing works? I put in my AAMC number it it said that Im not in the system?
 
Thanks Jessy Erin and 1_Accept_Away.

I know USF will be the better living situation, and if I am happier with my living situation then I am likely to do better in school.

But I seem to get the impression that UM is considered the "better" of the two schools. From the people that I have spoken to they said hands down UM. I just don't want to pass a good opportunity by.

What would you guys choose out of the two schools if the living situtation didn't play into it?

I_Accept_Away are you accepted to USF right now and on waitlist to UM? I am glad to hear someone else has a similar decision to make. Good luck with making a decision.

Thanks again.
 
I think that USF, UF and Miami are almost even. Personally, I think you get out of a place, what you put in. I'm not a big fan of rankings....I beleive in finding a place where you feel comfortable and where you feel as if you can succeed, because attitude is a big part of success!
 
Thanks Jessy Erin and 1_Accept_Away.

I know USF will be the better living situation, and if I am happier with my living situation then I am likely to do better in school.

But I seem to get the impression that UM is considered the "better" of the two schools. From the people that I have spoken to they said hands down UM. I just don't want to pass a good opportunity by.

What would you guys choose out of the two schools if the living situtation didn't play into it?

I_Accept_Away are you accepted to USF right now and on waitlist to UM? I am glad to hear someone else has a similar decision to make. Good luck with making a decision.

Thanks again.


I think they are about the same in terms of opportunity. It's a preference thing.
 
But I seem to get the impression that UM is considered the "better" of the two schools. From the people that I have spoken to they said hands down UM. I just don't want to pass a good opportunity by. What would you guys choose out of the two schools if the living situtation didn't play into it?

Miami may be, at best, a marginally better school than USF...one thing Miami has that is unique is the freedom and growth opportunity with the HUGE private donations that just came in BUT I still think this will only amount to a marginal difference in terms how it will affect you with your residency. I truthfully believe that when it comes to good schools v. bad schools there are extremes. The EXTREME good schools (whether you agree with rankings or not) - Penn, Hopkins, Yale, WashU, Columbia, etc. - are those that their reputation/brand alone may open doors for you or make it easier to get certain residencies. Then there are a few schools that known to have a really poor education or stigma that may create an extra hurdle to get certain residencies, etc. However, the majority of US medical schools fall somewhere in the middle of these extremes - and a marginally better USNews ranking or perceived reputation will make absolutely no difference in terms of whether you can get X,Y, Z residency. I think all the Florida schools fall into this campu. What will make a difference in those cases is what you bring to table - i.e. grades, board scores, fit - to determine what residency you will match for.

I can't say which I would choose without living situation - bc I, like you, am in a committed relationship - my living situation is so integral to my decision. But like I said, I think the state status of USF w/ $40k savings in principal over 4 years will be huge when you realize this is not "monopoly money" we are working with here. Also, I think Miami has a lot to offer in terms of being dynamic and have a lot of growth opportunity with the huge donations. I personally like the nurturing atmostphere I've experienced there and they seem to be trying to create - it just seems more close-knit and I do better in places like that. Each has its own strength that you need to prioritize in importance to you - but I certainly wouldn't pick Miami over USF bc of some perceived better reputation. In that case, UF is "better" than both of them so you're still second fiddle. That's why I don't buy that logic - because I think these marginal difference in ranking or perceived reputation have little practical significance in residency and your career. Now whether you end up separated or drowning in debt will play a huge factor in the rest of your life.

I_Accept_Away are you accepted to USF right now and on waitlist to UM? I am glad to hear someone else has a similar decision to make. ?
I really don't have a decision to make at this point....I haven't even been offered an interview at Miami. But if I ever did get some love from them would probably go there (even if I hated it and the extra $40k) so I can be near my SO.
 
Miami may be, at best, a marginally better school than USF...one thing Miami has that is unique is the freedom and growth opportunity with the HUGE private donations that just came in BUT I still think this will only amount to a marginal difference in terms how it will affect you with your residency. I truthfully believe that when it comes to good schools v. bad schools there are extremes. The EXTREME good schools (whether you agree with rankings or not) - Penn, Hopkins, Yale, WashU, Columbia, etc. - are those that their reputation/brand alone may open doors for you or make it easier to get certain residencies. Then there are a few schools that known to have a really poor education or stigma that may create an extra hurdle to get certain residencies, etc. However, the majority of US medical schools fall somewhere in the middle of these extremes - and a marginally better USNews ranking or perceived reputation will make absolutely no difference in terms of whether you can get X,Y, Z residency. I think all the Florida schools fall into this campu. What will make a difference in those cases is what you bring to table - i.e. grades, board scores, fit - to determine what residency you will match for.

I can't say which I would choose without living situation - bc I, like you, am in a committed relationship - my living situation is so integral to my decision. But like I said, I think the state status of USF w/ $40k savings in principal over 4 years will be huge when you realize this is not "monopoly money" we are working with here. Also, I think Miami has a lot to offer in terms of being dynamic and have a lot of growth opportunity with the huge donations. I personally like the nurturing atmostphere I've experienced there and they seem to be trying to create - it just seems more close-knit and I do better in places like that. Each has its own strength that you need to prioritize in importance to you - but I certainly wouldn't pick Miami over USF bc of some perceived better reputation. In that case, UF is "better" than both of them so you're still second fiddle. That's why I don't buy that logic - because I think these marginal difference in ranking or perceived reputation have little practical significance in residency and your career. Now whether you end up separated or drowning in debt will play a huge factor in the rest of your life.

I really don't have a decision to make at this point....I haven't even been offered an interview at Miami. But if I ever did get some love from them would probably go there (even if I hated it and the extra $40k) so I can be near my SO.


A few pages back, it was stated by deuist that the main Miami Campus and USF also had similar averages among the board scores. Only the Boca Campus had a greater increase in average scores. So that's another small thing that goes to show USF and Umiami aren't that much different at the end of the day in terms of reputation.

I'd personally stay at USF if you are far enough up on the waitlist that you will most likely get in.
 
I sent an update email to USF today because I have yet to recieve an interview, and the return email came from Larkin's personal email saying "we will add to your file for review...best of luck. Is this a good sign, or is it pretty generic?
 
I sent an update email to USF today because I have yet to recieve an interview, and the return email came from Larkin's personal email saying "we will add to your file for review...best of luck. Is this a good sign, or is it pretty generic?


Generic 🙂. The email is acknowledging your existence.
 
I sent an update email to USF today because I have yet to recieve an interview, and the return email came from Larkin's personal email saying "we will add to your file for review...best of luck. Is this a good sign, or is it pretty generic?

I don't know if it's really a sign. I sent an update after my interview and got the same exact response. And I got waitlisted, so I don't think it means anything, good or bad. But I think USF will still be interviewing until April or something, so you've still got a good chance. Good luck with USF!
 
I have an interview at USF. An email confirmed my file was complete on the 12/28 and I was called on 1/5 to schedule.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview at USF. An email confirmed my file was complete on the 12/28 and I was called on 1/5 to schedule.

Congratulations! 🙂

Wow, a 9 day turn-around from secondary complete to interview invite, especially over the Christmas break? That's kinda unbelievable though... you either have personal connections at USF, your stats are through the roof, or your application is special in some way.
 
anyone heard from FSU?

9 day turnaround from USF is pretty special!!!!

They must have had an adcom meeting the days after you were complete.

Good luck everyone!!
 
In general, no. Attendance at lectures in UMiami is not required. Our lectures are videotaped and posted on the web shortly after classes finish for the day in the afternoon. We were told that if attendance drops significantly, they would stop doing this. Some people watch the videos at home and only come for tests or when required to do so. I attend lectures anyway (that's how I learn best) and so does apparently most of the class, because out of 150 I estimate somewhere between 120 and 130 people are always there. You get flexibility with the lectures. However there are group sessions every now and then that are for credit and you must attend, as well as clinical skills sessions where we meet with our fellow society members to learn/practice clinicals or see patients.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.