Why ____ University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm answer the question why UOP?

My friend said my essay is so so?

For those who applied last year what did kind of stuff did you write for the essay "Why do you want to go to this school?"

I mentioned how I like their curriculum and how it fits to my learning style.

But I feel like I need more! Bah

thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

My answer would begin with, "Because it's close to Mommy and Daddy..."

PolarBear21 said:
I'm answer the question why UOP?

My friend said my essay is so so?

For those who applied last year what did kind of stuff did you write for the essay "Why do you want to go to this schoo?"

I mentioned how I like their curriculum and how it fits to my learning style.

But I feel like I need more! Bah

thanks for any help

If your friends are saying your essay is so so, ask them why. Is it the reasons your giving, or the way you're approaching the essay? It might be so so if you're just listing it down. Make it a little creative (although that's not very easy to do for a straight-forward question) and mention something in the beginning that's close to you that leads to what you want in a program. Sorry I'm not of help, I haven't started my essays yet! I might need help later with this exact same thing, haha, but we'll get through it right?! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Polar Bear - let me give you some ideas. I didn't go to UOP, so take this with a grain of salt.

Go to their alumni site - see who they are, what they've done.....does anything stand out?

What does their mission statement say? Do they emphasize rational drug therapy, patient education or medication management integration with dispensing? I don't think they're a big research instutition, but find out what their professors are doing besides teaching. These are only some examples - most of the websites or publications talk freely about how good they are for the profession.

Most importantly, think about what you want to do as a pharmacist. Try to develop your essay with the intent to learn more about the things UOP has to offer a pharmacist so you can develop yourself professionally. You also want to somehow incorporate the interactive aspect of pharmacy with other health professions - we don't work in a vacuum!

Finally.....always think about ways you can give back. Of course the obvious is the alumni association - they all want money (dont talk about that) But...you can always talk about how you'd like to continue your professional development by working with students. You may not end up in Stockton, but if you end up in say in Missouri, the example your educational experience sets can go with you so you can become a mentor to someone later.

Good Luck!

sdn1977 said:
Polar Bear - let me give you some ideas. I didn't go to UOP, so take this with a grain of salt.

Go to their alumni site - see who they are, what they've done.....does anything stand out?

What does their mission statement say? Do they emphasize rational drug therapy, patient education or medication management integration with dispensing? I don't think they're a big research instutition, but find out what their professors are doing besides teaching. These are only some examples - most of the websites or publications talk freely about how good they are for the profession.

Most importantly, think about what you want to do as a pharmacist. Try to develop your essay with the intent to learn more about the things UOP has to offer a pharmacist so you can develop yourself professionally. You also want to somehow incorporate the interactive aspect of pharmacy with other health professions - we don't work in a vacuum!

Finally.....always think about ways you can give back. Of course the obvious is the alumni association - they all want money (dont talk about that) But...you can always talk about how you'd like to continue your professional development by working with students. You may not end up in Stockton, but if you end up in say in Missouri, the example your educational experience sets can go with you so you can become a mentor to someone later.

Good Luck!

Good points! I wish I knew this before I wrote mine. I already mailed mine in. I put because I'm originaly from Stockton and I would like to come back, blah, blah. I also listed reputation and, of course, the accelerated curriculum.

Do you think its ok to sort of sell yourself and why you would fit into their school? Like I talked about how the curriculum I've taken in college is well-rounded.. like the curriculum at UOP?

My friend who read my paper said I spent too much time talking about myself.

Also, how did you transition the various reasons why you wanted to attend their school. For example their mission and goals I like, but that has nothing to do with the accelerated program, but I want to mention both.

:scared: :scared:

I'm stressing way too much over essays

PolarBear21 said:
Do you think its ok to sort of sell yourself and why you would fit into their school? Like I talked about how the curriculum I've taken in college is well-rounded.. like the curriculum at UOP?

Also, how did you transition the various reasons why you wanted to attend their school. For example their mission and goals I like, but that has nothing to do with the accelerated program, but I want to mention both.

:scared: :scared:

I'm stressing way too much over essays

Well, if UOP reads the PharmCAS essay, they would already have an essay about what's so good about you and why pharmacy, etc etc. So you should focus on you being a student there and how the program will nurture you.

PolarBear21 said:

This is YOUR essay. If you don't sell yourself who will? I am not saying come across as conceited however they aren't going to know how great you are unless you tell them. Best of luck, I haven't done my supplementals yet so you are ahead of the game.

PolarBear21 said:
Umm.. so did your friend suggest who you should be talking about instead? :rolleyes:

Seveneighty said:
Umm.. so did your friend suggest who you should be talking about instead? :rolleyes:

There is this guy named Bob - we've been great friends since the 5th grade. He is great because... NOT - the essay is all about you and how you fit with Pharmacy. Sell away my friend. Make it honest and from the heart - and you should be fine (at least that's what Im told...)