Why am I getting a low score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prospective_Pharm_Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied extremely hard for the September PCAT. I studied Dr. Collins almost everyday for a few months. I felt that I was really prepared, especially after doing his practice exams so many times that I finished them in half the time. To those that thank Dr. Collins for your scores in the 90th percentile, why is it that when I took the exam in September, I did not receive any similar questions in comparison to Collins, especially in the quant/chem portions. When I took the exam in July, the quant/chem questions were just about identical, so thats why I only studied Collins. I am confused on how the questions in the September exam were so different from Collins. Has anyone experienced what I have? I only have one more chance to take the exam in October, and I am not even sure what to study at this point since I feel that I have already studied so much.

Composite was a 47 percentile
Chem; 72 percentile
Quant: 55 percentile
Bio: 51 percentile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry hear that you didn't so well in your exam. I also just completed the PCAT in Sept and got 96 percentile. I used both Dr. Collins and Kaplan guide. I think if you only use Dr. Collins then it might for short in some cases. For instance, the Bio section in Dr. Collins is quite minimum and concise to the point that almost useless to people who took Gen Bio couple of years ago. The PCAT is find of asking endocrine system, genetic problem which Dr. Collins barely brushes upon. However, I saw no less than 8 questions in both Bio and Chem sections which are almost indentical to Dr. Collins guide. Did you have the latest guide from Dr. Collins?

Good luck in November and don't be too upset. You will be just fine.

Yes, I have the latest guide from Dr. Collins. I solely used Dr. Collins and I think I should read through the Kaplan book since I have this book as well but did not go through it. Do you think going through the Biology section of the Kaplan book will allow me to get in the 90th percentile in the Biology portion? Have you taken any Kaplan practice exams?

Thank you for your reply! Trying not to worry but I wish I didn't have to send in my PCAT scores so late.

I think if you read the Kaplan book thoroughly and practice with Dr. C, I think you will have a good chance to get in the 90's. I did 2 practice exams come with the book and the free online one also by Kaplan in early September.