Why did you choose DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icewoman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Because we live to answer questions like yours...

Like we used to say in my old place of employment:

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

(In case you're curious, I've declined an interview at an MD school in favor of a DO school)

Let's see...top ten reasons why I chose a DO school:

10- Their brochures are sooo much cooler!
9- I want to treat people, not symptoms.
8- I'm way too mature and way too cool to care about embroidered initials on a 60% cotton/40% polyester labcoat.
7- Why be like everyone else when you can be part of an awesome 100-year-old movement that allopathic medicine failed miserably in crushing.
6- The D.O. degree is a great conversation starter at medical cocktail parties.
5- I'm commited to the underserved. I'm not commited to specializing in treating the pinky finger of the right hand or looking at eyeballs all day or putting people to sleep all day (no offense Gas_Man!)
4- Go to med school and get free massages too!
3- My classmates are less arrogant; my teachers are commited to teaching me instead of playing with petri dishes.
2- I get to answer silly questions from MD students.
1- I get to feel on my female classmates! (and they get to feel on me!)

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been discussed ad nauseum. I'd suggest you do a search on Google or on SDN, then come back with some specific questions. That would be a better use of all of our time.

DO students don't have a lot of time to be concerned with what other medical students think of us. We are too busy doing exactly what all of our future MD colleagues are doing to answer, that is studying anatomy, phys, histo, etc.....then after that we are too busy doing residencies and being doctors right alongside our MD colleagues to care.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions, but first please do some basic research on osteopathy so we don't have to repeat what is better stated elsewhere. The American Osteopathic Association website is a good place to start. Might also try AACOM (Americal Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine).

Good luck and I am glad you are interested in learning about DO schools.

Originally posted by sophiejane
DO students don't have a lot of time to be concerned with what other medical students think of us. We are too busy doing exactly what all of our future MD colleagues are doing to answer, that is studying anatomy, phys, histo, etc.....then after that we are too busy doing residencies and being doctors right alongside our MD colleagues to care.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ice Woman,
I can only speak for myself and my experience as to why I chose a DO school. I was accepted into 4 MD schools and the DO school I ended up attending. I really liked the staff and the atmosphere of the school when I interviewed, and I really enjoyed my 1st 2 years of school there. At the time I was making the decision to attend school, I thought, well, I can learn the same things I would at an MD school, in addition to the manipulative medicine, and it sounded like a good deal to me. Its unfortunate that the bias against DOs exists out there, and that it does make a difference when applying for residencies. I think its important to realize that you will have DO colleagues and perhaps even some DO attendings, and that contrary to popular belief not all DOs were individuals not smart enough to make it into an MD school. I hope you will consider this and treat other doctors with respect regardless of the initials behind their last name.

Another good reason...

A whole group of classmates willing to fix your back/neck/ribs/etc. that are out of place.

I miss my classmates now that I am on rotations. I can't do HVLA on myself +pissed+

(Yikes, I think this is post 666 for me... :scared: )

Honestly, if it was exceedingly difficult for D.O.'s to specialize in something other than primary care, I would probably be reluctant to pursue it. I think I'll probably end up in primary care but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into medical school with the mindset that that is what I have to go into.
I've seen D.O.'s in virtually every specialty and that's of comfort to me to know that my options are significant. Additionally, I'm excited about learning manipulative medicine and how to effectively treat symptom sources. I believe these two aspects of osteopathic training make it an approach to patient care that is more logical/effective than the allopathic approach.

Originally posted by Icewoman
This will probably cause some interesting comments...

Why did y'all go to DO school? I want to know b/c most med students (and thus your future colleagues) believe that you guys couldn't get into an MD program. Help debunk this myth with some truthful stories.

And what is the main differences between the training provided by a DO vs. MD program?

This website acutally does a nice job explaining the difference and why a perception of a difference exists.

URL deleted by DrMom. anyone promoting a website or product may do so if they pay for their advertising

There really is little to no difference between the two. I personally became a D.O because I am alot older than the average med student since I worked as a P.T. for several years. I felt my background working with manual therapy would help me more at a D.O school than an M.D. school and I was right. Any statistics as to age of M.D. classes vs. age of D.O classes out there? Most of the people in my class were older and already had advanced degrees. 4p.t's 2ot's a couple of nurses

Why I chose DO school:

Because I was a well-meaning young lad who bought into the whole "holistic" thing. :rolleyes:

Now I realize I'm paying for an overpriced M.D. degree, which I have to specialize to pay for in a decent amount of time (so much for primary care!) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I realize I'm paying for an overpriced M.D. degree, which I have to specialize to pay for in a decent amount of time (so much for primary care!)

So, true. UHS' motto should be: "Primary Care: Yeah, right who can afford that?"

Yes, that is the sad reality. More and more people are choosing to specialize because otherwise they won't make ends meet.

Luckily, there are some incentives for weirdos like me who are certain of a career in primary care: primary care loans with very low interest that doesn't accrue until three years after graduation, programs where a large portion of your loans are paid out if you serve in an HPSA and special primary care scholarships. It's possible to be a primary care physician and take care of bills.

My understanding of primary care was that it includes the following:

Family Medicine
Pediatrics
Internal Medicine
OB/GYN
Meds/Peds

Am I leaving anything out? If EM is not included I think it should be, since so many poor people use the ER as their primary care center (and this is only going to get worse).

I don't know too many financially strapped OB/GYNs or Pediatricians, or Internists for that matter.

Family Practice--that's another thing. But there is the National Health Corps and similar programs that will forgive part or all of your loans if you practice for a few years in an underserved area. Then if you practice in a group, operating expenses are shared. There is still the matter of liability insurance, but if we are all proactive like we were recently in Texas, we can put laws on the books (and in our case in the state constitution) that limit malpractice awards and keep insurance costs down)>

But I guess I am not too worried about paying my loans back because my tuition is only 6, 500/year. :)

Originally posted by sophiejane
But I guess I am not too worried about paying my loans back because my tuition is only 6, 500/year. :)

:eek: Can I please get a transfer?! I'm not too excited about paying $60K to work my butt off for the next two years.

Originally posted by Shinken
9- I want to treat people, not symptoms.

Sorry, but this is just pure, utter crap. Outside the arena a benign musculoskeletal stuff, there's absolutely no difference in how DO's and MD's treat patients.

Since when do MDs only treat symptoms? If a patient has pneumonia, would an MD only prescribe meds to address the sx? Of course not. What about diabetes...do MDs withhold insulin and only treat the symptoms? What about completely asymptomatic illnesses...do MDs just not treat them at all? Do you see how ridiculous this claim is? Not only is it ridiculous, but its devisive...somehow implying DOs provide better tx than MDs (?)

I can make this point over and over again...point being...there's a standard of care for treating medical illnesses...usually based on clinical evidence.

I just hate it when AOA-brainwashed people spout this crap. Outside from out approach to some musculoskeletal complaints, there's absolutely no difference in the management of patients' illnesses.

[I had to edit my post...it was way too long and rambling. I'll try to give you the Cliffs Notes version]

Teufelhunden, I believe you're taking the quote too literally. I don't really mean to say that MD's only treat symptoms. I believe what that phrase means to say is that DO's are more likely to treat you as a real person instead of just someone that came to the office with a disease or some symptoms. So far in my experience this is true. The average MD made me feel not like a person but like a "walking disease". The average DO's I've dealt with always treat you like a human being first, like a diseased person second.

The "standard of care" might be the same for both professions, but the way that care is delivered is definitely different. And some physicians definitely go the extra mile to treat the "person" not just the "disease".

That's my personal experience and so far it hasn't changed. DO's and MD's deliver the same level of care, but it's not the level of care itself I have an issue with, it's the way it's delivered.

(By the way, Teufelhunden, did you get my PM last week or so? I'm really looking forward to your reply to that message!)

shinken,

First of all...sorry for the harsh reply...I just got off the 'cashier's making 17.50/hr' thread' and I was all heated up!

I'm glad your experiences with osteopathic medicine have been positive. I can say, anecdotally, that so have mine (as compared to MDs). I just think the AOA's literature saying "Treating people, not just disease" is decisive and exclusionary.

I think...in the end...it's up to the individual personality of the physician. I know a few colleagues of mine with the bedside manner of a cardboard box...osteopathic education didn't change that one bit. On the other hand, I have friends in allopathic schools who are very warm and compassionate people. Again, I think it's an individual thing.

Perhaps there's osteopathic schools draw a different crowd...I don't know (?)

Anyway, nothing personal...those AOA catch-phrases were always a pet peeve of mine.

I just looked for you PM - I didn't see any :confused:

send again (?) or feel free to IM or email me (info is in 'profile')

You piqued my curiosity and I went to the Everyone forum to check out that thread. Pretty heated debate indeed (almost as heated as the new AA thread in pre-allo...).

But yes, definitely an individual thing. It just so happens that so far we've had better luck with DO's than with MD's (and DO's are sometimes hard to find so you have no choice but to "settle" for an MD;) )

That's rich!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok, who again is self-righteous? :laugh:

Yes...I'm definitely limiting my career options by choosing a DO degree. :rolleyes:

There are definitely some DO-biased people around here (like me, for example), but you have proven there are also definitely some MD-biased people around here too.

No offense, but your advice to try to get an MD twice before attempting a DO degree is not only ludicrous but offensive to many successful physicians who are mature enough to know that it's the brains inside the skull that determine your success, not some embroidered initials in a wrinkle-free labcoat.

Actually, I should have said:

Get your MD if you can... if you don't get accepted, strengthen your application and try to get into MD school again.

Only after failing the 2nd time around, should you even consider the DO route.

BUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Sorry, when you wasted a year getting into "medical school" and finally get into residency, I wonder what you will think when your taking orders from the DO senior resident? Your education is what you make of it. If you worry about prestige then please only go to a top ten academic school. I am interested in being the best physician I can be, no matter where I am.

Ok, time to ignore the troll.

Actually, I AM in a top ten medical school and please believe me that going to medical school (not osteopath school) gives you many, many more options in terms of career development. It also gives you more options in terms of where you train and eventually end up.

Most of the DO's that I have ever run across are scrappy people practicing in the crappy parts of town -- positions where no MD in his right mind (beside FMGs) would want to practice in.

I love your fluffy comments DO's!! :love:

Wow...top ten medical school...I really doubt it, and actually your comments sound very immature like somebody with very little to no clinical experience. I am sure that when you are actually a physician and not just a student your persepctives will change. As far as D.O's being scrappy people practicing in the crappy parts of town, well I guess you never met the last surgeon general did you? He was a D.O.

On a personal note...the whole arrogant M.D. thing...it's so cliche, you should really educate yourself especially if your "top ten" medical school" does not really seem to be doing the job

Too bad. Here I thought there was an allopathic med student honestly interested in the perspective of people that chose an equal but alternate path to a career in medicine. Instead it turns out to be a troll. Top ten medical school indeed.

It's funny...any medical school you interview at, no matter which one it is, will tell you they're one of the "best in the nation" and their graduates always secure "the most competitive residencies." It seems that every poster on SDN goes to a "top ten school" or a "USNews ranked school". Go figure.

Oh, well. Move on people, nothing to see here...

Oh, by the way. I've been lying this whole time. I'm not going to go to a DO school. I've been accepted to Johns Hopkins and Harvard, and I'm having a tough time choosing which one to attend, especially since both keep calling me with more and more scholarship offers. What should I do ?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

Yes, but you guys had 100 years to try and stop DO's and couldn't do it.

We'll keep defeating you and will keep encroaching on your turf forever! BUWAHAHAHAHA!! :smuggrin:

There's a new DO school opening up in Florida, and another one after that! Today we have 20 schools, tomorrow we'll have 200!

(Where's a JPEG of Dr. Evil when you need it?)

Thanks for your opinion, Icewoman, and good luck in your top ten school (honestly). I can only hope that someday you realize that although we're not MD's, we can treat patients as competently as anyone else. I also hope someday you see medical students with the same attitude you have and think to yourself "Boy, I can't believe I thought that same way once!".

Originally posted by DW
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/history/sglist.htm

why do you keep propagating this nonsense?I actually HAVE met the last surgeon general in person before. none of these people, nor the latest SG to be sworn in (dr carmona), is a DO :rolleyes:

the confusion stems from there being 2 surgeon generals-- one is the US Army Surgeon General, the other is the public health surgeon general. The Army Surgeon General has been a DO in the past, and i'm pretty sure more than once, but i can't tell you exactly how many.

Thank you, Icewoman.

We all know there's a bias, but we choose to ignore it. Besides, there are biases in the allopathic world too. Ask any surgeon what he/she thinks of a family practitioner or someone that graduated from Meharry or Finch.

Let's all concentrate on the reason we're going to medical school (besides money :p ): the patients.

GROUP HUG!!

Originally posted by DW
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/history/sglist.htm

why do you keep propagating this nonsense?I actually HAVE met the last surgeon general in person before. none of these people, nor the latest SG to be sworn in (dr carmona), is a DO :rolleyes:

Last Surgeon general of the Army was a D.O.... just goes to show you if you have never heard of it don't be arrogant enough to assume that it is nonsense...that is a lesson for all of us.

Originally posted by papadoc
Last Surgeon general of the Army was a D.O.... just goes to show you if you have never heard of it don't be arrogant enough to assume that it is nonsense...that is a lesson for all of us.
Umm, when the average person refers to THE surgeon general (as was the case in this thread), the office of the surgeon general, or the surgeon general's warning for given issue, which "surgeon general" do you honestly think one is supposed to believe they're referring to? lets get serious people here, this has nothing to do with arrogance or looking down on each other, come on.

now i wasnt aware a surgeon general of the army has been in the past been a DO, but do understand where i'm coming from

my apologies for the misinterpretation.

"Most of the DO's that I have ever run across are scrappy people practicing in the crappy parts of town -- positions where no MD in his right mind (beside FMGs) would want to practice in."

You know what? This totally sums it up. Thank you, Ice Woman. You represent the least-enlightened members of your profession to a tee. I couldn't have painted a better picture.

This individual will eventally mature and gain more experience and will have to work alongside DOs (some of whom will know the answers to attendings' questions when she doesn't, or will run a code and save someone's life while she watches from the sidelines). She will meet DO radiologists and dermatologists and cardiologists and surgeons, some of whom are more successful than she will be, and some who are not.

One thing she will probably never do is to venture into those "crappy" parts of town where the rest the DOs, according to her, are practicing medicine. That is just as well. Because even people in crappy parts of town deserve good medical care, and I am proud to be a part of a profession that does not discriminate, that has a history rolling up its sleeves and caring for the least-cared for people in the most forgotten parts of big cities and small towns.

THAT is why I chose DO school.

with $50,000 in undergraduate loans and $45,000 per year loans for the next four years, I think there's a snowball's chance in hell I'm going into FP or IM... Specialize it is and definitely not by choice... I'm not busting my ass these next four years to come out of this living in a MFing cardboard box because I can't make my $2,500 per month loan payment...

This country better wise-up to what it's driving it's medical school students into, anyone have 2002 or 2003 application numbers/data (for the past few years). I'm better the numbers keep going down and down and down... I love medicine and patient care more than nearly anything in the world but the system makes me feel like an altrusitic lemming just waiting to take the leap for the greater good...

$180,000
$50,000
------------
$230,000

NICE!

Originally posted by H0mersimps0n
with $50,000 in undergraduate loans and $45,000 per year loans for the next four years, I think there's a snowball's chance in hell I'm going into FP or IM... Specialize it is and definitely not by choice... I'm not busting my ass these next four years to come out of this living in a MFing cardboard box because I can't make my $2,500 per month loan payment...

This country better wise-up to what it's driving it's medical school students into, anyone have 2002 or 2003 application numbers/data (for the past few years). I'm better the numbers keep going down and down and down... I love medicine and patient care more than nearly anything in the world but the system makes me feel like an altrusitic lemming just waiting to take the leap for the greater good...

$180,000
$50,000
------------
$230,000

NICE!
Well, and this is one thing I admit that slightly confuses me about osteopathic medicine. I dont know who or from which camp it originated, but what gets propagated around here is osteopathic physicians tend to emphazise generalist medicine and tend towards primary care, et cetera. But, a while ago I saw a study of the medical schools with the largest average student debt (sorry, the link is broken so i cant repost it), and 7 schools of the top 10 worst offenders were D.O. schools :confused:

Ice woman,
congrats! u have forced me to to reply for the first time in the anti DO thread. where do u live? here, in one of the best parts of NYC, there are tons of DO's everywhere. New york magazine puts out an issue EVERY YEAR on top doctors as voted by hospitals, nurses, patients, specialists, etc. and there are many DO's there. in fact, one of the most popular docs where i live and the one where all the snobby, rich people MUST GO to is a DO. what's wrong with your comment is that u are a lowly med student, as am I, but u are claiming to know so much that u can warn future applicants not to go DO. grow up! if you are not into osteopathy, that's fine. but that does not make you an authority on our profession.

one of our biochem prof used to teach in Sinai and she said that she can really tell a difference between the type of PEOPLE that allo vs osteo schools attract. i am begining to believe it. i hope by the end of the day you get off on knowing that u are at a top 10. one day you will realize how immature u sound.

p.s where's oceandoc when u need him?
p.ss please excuse spelling. typing in the dark.

Well, and this is one thing I admit that slightly confuses me about osteopathic medicine. I dont know who or from which camp it originated, but what gets propagated around here is osteopathic physicians tend to emphazise generalist medicine and tend towards primary care, et cetera. But, a while ago I saw a study of the medical schools with the largest average student debt (sorry, the link is broken so i cant repost it), and 7 schools of the top 10 worst offenders were D.O. schools

You are absolutely right. DO schools, with the noted exception of the few state funded institutions, have higher tuition but emphasize primary care to their students. I like to call it the Osteopathic Primary Care Paradox. By having astronomical tuition they are steering their students away from the very specialties they claim to promote. Not everyone can or wants to commit to the NHSC scholarships as an MSI or MSII, and they certainly will be less apt to consider primary care after accumulating 4 years of 40K+ debt.

You guys are hitting the nail on the head regarding the debt load vs. primary care focus. I recently got accepted to my 1st choice DO school, and while I'm estatic to have the chance to go to medical school, frankly, the debt load terrifies me. I know for a fact I'll be more than 200 grand in debt when I graduate. Does anyone know the average amount of debt a student accrues at a private allopathic school? Is it significantly less?

This whole "holsitic" ideaology isn't pure and utter crap. The difference is that an MD will more than likely see a person suffering from X condition, then prescribe medications to treat the symptoms.

A DO would inquire of the person other potential causes of condition X other than pathology. Working conditions, living conditions, etc. may all be factors contributing to the person's presentation of condition X. Eliminate the contributing factor and the person doesn't need to spend money every month refilling his prescription.

I have never seen or heard of an MD work like this, but have heard many stories of DO's doing this.

cuz i couldnt get into an MD school, except st georges but forget that

I think all you MD students should go to MDapplicants.com and see what kind of stats some MD students got in with. I think then you probably won't have much to say.

People People People!

Ignore those like Icewoman whose sole purpose is to cruise forums to stir fights with DOs... She's been seen in so many threads I've lost count. Who knows why she does this... Perhaps she has always wanted to be a DO herself???

Methinks she doth protest too much.

:laugh:

G

I really like what the IceWoman writes. It makes me feel good about myself to know that no matter how poorly I do in Histo, there will always be someone out there dumberer than me.

Ice! Ice! Baby, too cold! Too Cold!
Ding, ding, ding, ding, da, da, ding, ding.

:clap:

Haha... you guys are funny. You automatically have to assume that I can't be telling the truth (about being in a top 10 med school) b/c I don't think DO's are on the same level as MD's in general.

They don't believe you because you sound like a *****.

Originally posted by Su4n2
Ice woman,

one of our biochem prof used to teach in Sinai and she said that she can really tell a difference between the type of PEOPLE that allo vs osteo schools attract. i am begining to believe it. i hope by the end of the day you get off on knowing that u are at a top 10. one day you will realize how immature u sound.

I was a graduate student at an MD school and am currently applying DO. Having interviewed at a couple of DO schools and having dated MD med students and interacted with them extensively I'll back Su4n2 statement up. There is a maturity gap between the two. Many of the MD students I interacted with were very immature. Not to say there aren't immature DO students, but at least at the MD school I was at there seem to be a lot. Here's a true story...I was a TA in medical micro and the following transpired.

In walks a guy carrying a sandwich.

"Ahh..You can't eat that in here." I said politely.
"Why." He responded.
:confused: for a few seconds before composing myself.
"Well, this is a micro lab and..there's no eating in lab."
:mad: The look I get back from the student.
"I feel fine." The student said....I SWEAR I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP!
"Have you ever been able to eat in any lab you were in!" I said getting angry.
The professor walks over eyebrows furrowed.
"Why is he eating in here?" He asks me.
"You can't eat in here." The professor says to the student.
:mad: Look from student
Finally the student walks out of the room and stands an inch from the door and continues to eat his sandwich staring at us.

Unbelievable...That's just one of many stories I have....But again, DO students can be immature as well.