Why did you want to become a doctor as opposed to other careers that help people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DntStopBelievin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was just interested in knowing why some of you decided to become doctors. For many the reason for doing it is to make a difference in people's lives. However, there are so many careers out there that "help people" like nurses, medical technicians, teachers. All are integral not only to the medical field but to people's lives, so why become doctor?

Also, I notice how many pre-meds on this site ask about the "recipe" for a great medical school candidate (i.e. asking how much volunteering to do, if they should get more EC or research experiences in, panicking for getting a 30 on the MCAT). Im really shocked that they want to become doctors but make volunteering sound like something to cross off on a checklist! And so, do you think the competition has made many lose sight of why they wanted to become a doctor in the first place?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Greater interest in the field, greater freedom to change my interest once i enter school (med school vs. clinical psych), job stability, income.

2) Yes, but it is a checklist to a degree.

The autonomy that doctors have appeals to me, the fact that you can do so much with a medical degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every one choose it because they want to help people, some to other other to themselves.

1a) To be able to learn more of what I love (medical science) and being able to use that knowledge to directly influence others.

This pretty much eliminates all non-healthcare fields, and eliminates doing research.

1b) To have the autonomy and leadership to be able to diagnose and treat patients.

This eliminates being a PA, or other such similar professions.

EDIT: And of course, the other reasons you don't mention in an interview, like job stability, money (or what'll be left of it after the healthcare reform), social prestige, etc.

1) Mental stimulation. I like thinking, problem solving. Teaching for me is too repetitive. I'd enjoy if for the first 5 years, but after memorizing my lecture notes, I'd get bored. I also don't think I'm the best when it comes to explaining to others. I could of done something for a service protion of the government, but I would get fed up with political BS. I would also be a hard a** when I see people abusing the system, which will result in lots of complaints and my termination.

2) Some may be interested in volunteering, but are just concerned in general if they have done enough. Others may not be satisified with what they are doing. I spent a summer in medical records where I sorted charts. Not only was it uninteresting, but no one would ever talk. It was like I was in solitairy confinement or something. For a short time I also volunteered in a recovery wing, where I just sat there. There was nothing for me to do. Why do I drive 30 minutes, to sit in a chair for the sake of 'volunteering'.

Also, some people are putting themselves through college. If mom and dad aren't helping, and you're looking at 6-figure debt from medical school, spending time at work instead of volunteering may be critical.

And ya, some people just don't care about the helping others, and want a good income, and to look really, really cool.

i like the problem solving and challenges of the profession :) helping ppl is just a side effect of the job lol :p

Hey guys,
I was just interested in knowing why some of you decided to become doctors. For many the reason for doing it is to make a difference in people's lives. However, there are so many careers out there that "help people" like nurses, medical technicians, teachers. All are integral not only to the medical field but to people's lives, so why become doctor?

Also, I notice how many pre-meds on this site ask about the "recipe" for a great medical school candidate (i.e. asking how much volunteering to do, if they should get more EC or research experiences in, panicking for getting a 30 on the MCAT). Im really shocked that they want to become doctors but make volunteering sound like something to cross off on a checklist! And so, do you think the competition has made many lose sight of why they wanted to become a doctor in the first place?

Thanks for any input!

1) I just want to stress how important it is to have SOME stock answer to the "why med school" question for your interviews. It seems like an obvious question, but you'd be surprised how many pre-meds get the deer in the headlights face when that's their first question.

2) The honest truth is that a lot of the volunteering that a pre-med gets to do borders on a waste of time. Furthermore, the bottom line is that demonstrating your experience in the medical field is going to get you into med school, but it's your stats that are going to get you even CONSIDERED in the first place. The fact is that you have to find a balance between studying for class and the MCAT and being able to show that you know what you're getting into.

i want respect and adulation. and drive fast cars, and marry a young pretty gal.. the white coat is also rather nifty.

the answer to why med? is I would argue the hardest question to answer. Above all else, it is by far the hardest one to answer because - it offers itself up for cliche ridden, redundant answers (that adcoms have heard over and over) and that cringe-worthy starry-eyed enthusiasm that might not be shared by adcoms who have been through a lot.

Although my answer during interviews will follow the standard I like to help people, etc. it will be decorated in my own personal experiences that no one else has had. My own personal flare, my own personal viewpoint - thats what is going to seperate you from the rest.

That is why everyone on SDN stresses that you do the things you are most passionate about for your ECs and try the least bit to treat it as a checklist because you're not going to gain anything beyond a mental satisfaction for completing it. It's not about padding your resume, its about gaining experiences to further yourself as an individual - and hopefully if things work out, a future physician.

Money and prestige, but of course I didn't say that during my interviews. I alluded to it by mentioning "financial stability" like everyone else.

the answer to why med? is I would argue the hardest question to answer. Above all else, it is by far the hardest one to answer because - it offers itself up for cliche ridden, redundant answers (that adcoms have heard over and over) and that cringe-worthy starry-eyed enthusiasm that might not be shared by adcoms who have been through a lot.

Although my answer during interviews will follow the standard I like to help people, etc. it will be decorated in my own personal experiences that no one else has had. My own personal flare, my own personal viewpoint - thats what is going to seperate you from the rest.

That is why everyone on SDN stresses that you do the things you are most passionate about for your ECs and try the least bit to treat it as a checklist because you're not going to gain anything beyond a mental satisfaction for completing it. It's not about padding your resume, its about gaining experiences to further yourself as an individual - and hopefully if things work out, a future physician.
I love your answer! It is very true. The reason I asked these questions in the first place is because I asked a med student friend of mine to read my personal statement which was about why i wanted to get into medicine. I included in the very beginning why i first considered it. It was what she and everyone else called a "cliche" story of a sick grandparent. She told me that it wasnt a good idea to write about it because the adcom was TIRED of reading "those" stories. I felt insulted because in a sense i felt like the adcom was being oppressive. I wrote about it any way because i'm not going to deny the truth just to impress some adcom. I just hope they like me for who i am and my motivations! I also hope all students are passionate about their ECs like you said and grow as individuals (rather than being a walking talking resume)

I want to have the final say, to know that I did everything in my power to help the person. I want to be fully responsible for my decisions. This is for when I am right and wrong. I wouldn't want a job any other way.

Then again... when they restrict autonomy more and more...