Why do people do random stuff for YEARS before going to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Except it's something I do have...I mean, how the hell do you get into med school without hundreds of hours of low-level medical work? I think I have over a thousand at this point...

I got into med school and never worked as an EMT or CNA or any medical tech :confused:
As long as you have ECs that help answer "Well....how do you know you want to do medicine as a career" I don't think having to be employed in the medical field is a necessity.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh he's already in? Crap, system failed. U his meat?

Saying that someone doesn't deserve his med school acceptance...wow, that's a pretty serious statement to make. I never expected someone on SDN to stoop to that level. I mean, I troll pretty hard, but I would never make a claim such as that lol.

Oh well.

haters_gonna_hate.jpg

Whether true or not, this again is a generalization. Some people may feel like they would rather retake some undergrad courses while also pursuing a masters degree of INTEREST because they want to LEARN. Why not? Is that not considered meaningful? You're saying a MS is useless in terms of a med school app, again it's not about necessarily improving your chances per se which is the main focus, but it's about doing things you desire. It could to the person who is pursuing it, while doing this they can reach out and do other meaningful things as well that interest them. To say they're doing it purely for resume booster is naive, yes we get it there are many people out there that do it, but many that don't. If I didn't join the military I probably would of worked as a morgue technician and done some international volunteer work while probably getting a masters degree, but I guess to some they may perceive it as being random and useless.

Also, masters don't make up for bad undergrad grades.

To each their own. In context of medical school admissions, as I have stated above, an MS is typically regarded for grade repair. Dr. Freedman has said, "If you want to get into medical school, you want to get into medical school." Of course she was talking about not limiting oneself geographically when applying, but I added an entirely new dynamic to that. If you know that a doctor is your ultimate goal, why pursue something that will not even be regarded? I suppose I can support your premise of life long learning and the passion to take in new information, but one has to simply be realistic with these things. Looking for meaningful experiences, coupled with a slight competitiveness on your resume or profile for medical school. I compiled a short list from a website where one could easily use it as a template.

Clinical excellence
Committment to the community
Achievement in biomedical research
Mentorship

If one is taking time off from school with the goal of medicine in mind, IT SHOULD BE TO TAKE TIME FROM SCHOOL. I would never enroll in a MS unless it would be absolutely necessary for my academic evaluation in the long-term. An MPH or a clinical class may be slightly different where one may try to gain additional clinical experience or a sharp perspective in global health, and even then, they should come out with relevant insight on where they went and what they did. I know several freinds who took time off for an MPH, but during that time, they amassed a numerous amount of international research and one even started his own firm overseas. One worked in Belgium at a local hospital and traveled to underserved areas. If you pursue a Masters, did no research, and just took classes just for the sake of learning, that was an utter waste. The point is to do unique things while being competitive. Hugh is doin' himself. Y'all haterz can stew...

Members don't see this ad :)
If the goals of an MS program were successfully accomplished, adequately demonstrated, effectively communicated to the admission staff, and determined to be be consistent with those experiences in previous applicants who successfully completed the medical school's curriculum then the above statement in bold is invalid.

Be more specific.

Key word is consistency !! Do you Consistently show work ethic ? Do you consistently get good grades ? Are you sure to be consistent in pursuing something you started ? The list can go on forever. My credentials say based on today's standards that I have a good chance of being accepted into medical school, but I chose to first finish a 5th year master's program researching certain molecular mechanisms of muscular dysfunction in heart muscle, and I've been thinking about this general area of research since before high school. Sure I can take the year of experiece that I have, and I'll tell you its alot more quality than a typical year of undergraduate research; I spent about 30hrs/week for 3 credits, and worked alongside a cardiologist examining the aforementioned research topic; but why not go for a publication if it is in reach ? And it seems so. And that in my opinion will demonstrate to the admission staff that I am persistent in pursuing things that I start, that is to say that I am consistent in playing the instrument that I chose to play. When I receive my MS in the summer of 2014 and apply to medical school, do you think the first thing the admission staff is thinking is "this guy is bribing us " ???

Last edited:
To each their own. In context of medical school admissions, as I have stated above, an MS is typically regarded for grade repair. Dr. Freedman has said, "If you want to get into medical school, you want to get into medical school." Of course she was talking about not limiting oneself geographically when applying, but I added an entirely new dynamic to that. If you know that a doctor is your ultimate goal, why pursue something that will not even be regarded? I suppose I can support your premise of life long learning and the passion to take in new information, but one has to simply be realistic with these things. Looking for meaningful experiences, coupled with a slight competitiveness on your resume or profile for medical school. I compiled a short list from a website where one could easily use it as a template.

Clinical excellence
Committment to the community
Achievement in biomedical research
Mentorship

If one is taking time off from school with the goal of medicine in mind, IT SHOULD BE TO TAKE TIME FROM SCHOOL. I would never enroll in a MS unless it would be absolutely necessary for my academic evaluation in the long-term. An MPH or a clinical class may be slightly different where one may try to gain additional clinical experience or a sharp perspective in global health, and even then, they should come out with relevant insight on where they went and what they did. I know several freinds who took time off for an MPH, but during that time, they amassed a numerous amount of international research and one even started his own firm overseas. One worked in Belgium at a local hospital and traveled to underserved areas. If you pursue a Masters, did no research, and just took classes just for the sake of learning, that was an utter waste. The point is to do unique things while being competitive. Hugh is doin' himself. Y'all haterz can stew...

I disagree. I understand again...in terms of whether it may be meaningful to each of their own in respect to that perspective because everyone sees things differently. School, and in general learning gives you an opportunity to expand that foundation it has given you in order to think more openly, it's not about learning facts, it about acknowledging other things or help for you to think a certain way. This may seem philosophical, but that's what it's all about. Again, as for what you said about your friends who did an MPH and did "meaningful" things, that person who just received a masters not solely based off applying to med school lets assume - that may be meaningful to him. To judge what would be meaningful based off your perspective is not right, one may get fed up with what I'm saying and try to convince that I'm shying away from the obvious, but it's not that "obvious." Everyone has different views, everyone values things differently. Working in a shelter might be more meaningful than TFA if you had a bad experience. TFA might be more meaningful than the military because your job didn't imply much and vice versa.

Key word is consistency !! Do you Consistently show work ethic ? Do you consistently get good grades ? Are you sure to be consistent in pursuing something you started ? The list can go on forever. My credentials say based on today's standards that I have a good chance of being accepted into medical school, but I chose to first finish a 5th year master's program researching certain molecular mechanisms of muscular dysfunction in heart muscle, and I've been thinking about this general area of research since before high school. And that in my opinion will demonstrate to the admission staff that I am persistent in pursuing things that I start, that is to say that I am consistent in playing the instrument that I chose to play.

:thumbup:

Question, and no offense intended: if you graduated college, why did you enlist as a medic instead of commissioning?

No offense taken. Merely a choice I considered without monetary issues being a concern, and with an HPSP, there really is no point in commissioning when I will be in the future - only difference again is monetary factors, but on top of that commissioning limits job availability which primarily tend to be paper pushers - I'm not too fond of that.

I disagree. I understand again...in terms of whether it may be meaningful to each of their own in respect to that perspective because everyone sees things differently. School, and in general learning gives you an opportunity to expand that foundation it has given you in order to think more openly, it's not about learning facts, it about acknowledging other things or help for you to think a certain way. This may seem philosophical, but that's what it's all about. Again, as for what you said about your friends who did an MPH and did "meaningful" things, that person who just received a masters not solely based off applying to med school lets assume - that may be meaningful to him. To judge what would be meaningful based off your perspective is not right, one may get fed up with what I'm saying and try to convince that I'm shying away from the obvious, but it's not that "obvious." Everyone has different views, everyone values things differently. Working in a shelter might be more meaningful than TFA if you had a bad experience. TFA might be more meaningful than the military because your job didn't imply much and vice versa.

Ok. I guess our value systems are different. Fair enough.

Key word is consistency !! Do you Consistently show work ethic ? Do you consistently get good grades ? Are you sure to be consistent in pursuing something you started ? The list can go on forever. My credentials say based on today's standards that I have a good chance of being accepted into medical school, but I chose to first finish a 5th year master's program researching certain molecular mechanisms of muscular dysfunction in heart muscle, and I've been thinking about this general area of research since before high school. Sure I can take the year of experiece that I have, and I'll tell you its alot more quality than a typical year of undergraduate research; I spent about 30hrs/week for 3 credits, and worked alongside a cardiologist examining the aforementioned research topic; but why not go for a publication if it is in reach ? And it seems so. And that in my opinion will demonstrate to the admission staff that I am persistent in pursuing things that I start, that is to say that I am consistent in playing the instrument that I chose to play. When I receive my MS in the summer of 2014 and apply to medical school, do you think the first thing the admission staff is thinking is "this guy is bribing us " ???

I really hope you have pubs, conferences, posters, abstracts, lors from dynamic peeps, kick-ass grades, and can discuss your research extensively at the drop of a hat. Five years is a long time to waste.

Ok. I guess our value systems are different. Fair enough.

I really hope you have pubs, conferences, posters, abstracts, lors from dynamic peeps, kick-ass grades, and can discuss your research extensively at the drop of a hat. Five years is a long time to waste.

As you being a future leader in medicine, a future physician I think it's beneficial not too insult someones academic endeavors by claiming it's a waste, especially someone who actually put forth the time to research a specific field - again like I said what you may deem meaningful is different to others. You need to acknowledge the differences and actually thank him for this dedicated research rather than to put someone down like that - it shouldn't matter about pubs etc etc, it takes balls to put forth that much time, there are very few people who are willing to do that.

As you being a future leader in medicine, a future physician I think it's beneficial not too insult someones academic endeavors by claiming it's a waste, especially someone who actually put forth the time to research a specific field - again like I said what you may deem meaningful is different to others. You need to acknowledge the differences and actually thank him for this dedicated research rather than to put someone down like that - it shouldn't matter about pubs etc etc, it takes balls to do put forth that much time, there are very few people who are willing to do that.

It's possible that he/she was merely being folksy.

@ La Presse its all work in progress, but nothing has been accomplished without passion:cool:

As you being a future leader in medicine, a future physician I think it's beneficial not too insult someones academic endeavors by claiming it's a waste, especially someone who actually put forth the time to research a specific field - again like I said what you may deem meaningful is different to others. You need to acknowledge the differences and actually thank him for this dedicated research rather than to put someone down like that - it shouldn't matter about pubs etc etc, it takes balls to do put forth that much time, there are very few people who are willing to do that.

Perhaps a textual analysis course is in order. The preceding sentence is an insult.

The sentence you boldfaced is implicative of a suggestion that she should be doing other things rather than just taking courses and learning. As you and heart mentioned, s/he is doing research, which s/he both has a long term commitment and a passion for. I commend her for that, but in the midst of bliss, let us not forget that results matter and they come in form of posters and letters--evidence of research, if you will. These pieces of evidence carry tremendous weight. After five years of a particular masters programs and none of that is produced.....well....yeah.

It's possible that he/she was merely being folksy.

@ La Presse its all work in progress, but nothing has been accomplished without passion:cool:

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps a textual analysis course is in order. The preceding sentence is an insult.

The sentence you boldfaced is implicative of a suggestion that she should be doing other things rather than just taking courses and learning.
As you and heart mentioned, s/he is doing research, which s/he both has a long term commitment and a passion for. I commend her for that, but in the midst of bliss, let us not forget that results matter and they come in form of posters and letters--evidence of research, if you will. These pieces of evidence carry tremendous weight. After five years of a particular masters programs and none of that is produced.....well....yeah.

Where'd you come up with that suggestion? haha, I bolded that which was a reference to that whole last statement you made - trying to turn it on me :laugh:

Fair enough.

5 years on a master's program??? Da fuk? Don't most of them finish in two?

And at this point, I really don't care who I offend. At the risk of people saying "u mad bro," well, you guys are insisting for some reason that I don't deserve my med school acceptance. I said I had nothing but admiration for most nontrads, but it really looks like you guys want to put me down for some reason. Well, fine then. But don't expect that I will have any respect for nontrads after this thread.

I am seriously disappointed. I mean, SDN was invaluable in helping me get into medical school. I had no idea that this was what people thought of me.

Entered college at 16 finished in 3 years. Just joined the Army for 4 years as a medic at the age of 19 while having intentions of attending grad school for an MPA or the alike if given the time while already have completed 150+ hours of clinical and nonclinical work, 9 months of research, TA'ed for multiple courses, made the Deans list multiple semesters all during undergrad.

You don't need to know why people do certain things because you will never know or at least acknowledge. The same could be said for you doing all these things as a checklist, applying to med school for being the leader of the premed club, did research just for credits and a resume booster.....Get into med school and live your whole life doing medicine with no chance to pursue anything else because it's too late. You're most likely just like all the thousands of people applying, nothing special about you. Just a robot, treating life like a one-way staircase. Maybe other people would like to enjoy life, take advantage of various opportunities. Medicine is always there buddy... Taking a few years off does not hurt and it gives you more of a reason to stay away from people like you with that type of mentality. Grow up.

Seeing these threads remind me why I avoid the Premed forum. Months later, I forget the reason and here I am again.

I was in the middle of writing a similar post but yours encapsulates it well. :thumbup:

I took a year off after college to continue my research. I was "medicine" going into college so I did all of the volunteering, leadership, research, etc. Research was going so well that I decided to take a year off to continue it, get a publication or two, save money and enjoy life before medicine. All of my former classmates have at least had some twinge of regret in not taking a year off.

Family illnesses forced me to hold off on residency applications so I went home to care for my relatives, continued my research, took on an editing job for research manuscripts and began mentoring premeds. Watching my friends move on to PGY-1 was a bit sad but I'll be in their shoes with the coming batch of residents. Besides, it hasn't stopped the occasional "consult" text from my friends.

In taking your time with medicine, you remember the other aspects and talents that define you. I've personally reacquainted myself with music, photography and numerous other non-medical interests. These experiences have allowed me to build rapport and really get to know my colleagues, patients, attendings, interviewers, etc.

If anything, being a nontrad med school applicant and residency applicant has worked out beautifully for me. The interview season was very good to me and I believe that is partially due to my unique background.

To the OP: Medical school will change your perspective on many things (hopefully). With all due respect, a little more tact goes a long way and will be appreciated by your colleagues and patients in the future.

OP I'm guessing you made this thread in response to your original opinion (below) being met by a bunch of people supporting the benefits of gap year(s).

Don't take any gap years if you can manage it. Remember, med school COA goes up every year, and it gets harder to get in. Also, every year you take a gap is one less year that you're making money as an attending.

The people I know taking gap years are people who either failed to get in, had some poor grades, or put off their prereqs/MCAT for too long. They'll be starting med school in their mid 20s. On the other hand, someone who didn't take any gap years will be an MD at 26 or younger.

Whose position would you rather be in?

And at this point, I really don't care who I offend. At the risk of people saying "u mad bro," well, you guys are insisting for some reason that I don't deserve my med school acceptance. I said I had nothing but admiration for most nontrads, but it really looks like you guys want to put me down for some reason. Well, fine then. But don't expect that I will have any respect for nontrads after this thread.

I am seriously disappointed. I mean, SDN was invaluable in helping me get into medical school. I had no idea that this was what people thought of me.

It's because you make posts like the first one quoted in here when you have no idea what you're talking about. An extra year of Attending salary isn't always worth an extra year of your 20's. I guarantee you most physicians would happily trade a year of their salary for a year as a carefree 20-something. Perspective bro, get some.

Don't think just because of us, all non-trads are the same. That's the problem another generalization. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. SDN still remains invaluable, maybe you shouldn't of started this thread the way you did, and I'm sure there are other non-trads that may cater more towards your stance.

The sentence you boldfaced is implicative of a suggestion that she should be doing other things rather than just taking courses and learning. As you and heart mentioned, s/he is doing research, which s/he both has a long term commitment and a passion for. I commend her for that, but in the midst of bliss, let us not forget that results matter and they come in form of posters and letters--evidence of research, if you will. These pieces of evidence carry tremendous weight. After five years of a particular masters programs and none of that is produced.....well....yeah.

It is assumed as a graduate student that paper work has been taken care of. But it is still your job to effectively communicate your work into medical school admission staff terms, and if medical school is truly your goal then I would hope that (that refers to "will what I'm about to do be relevant to medical school admission) you had taken that into consideration prior to attempting to non-traditionally influence your credentials.

Also it is advisable that you revise the statement in bold, start by considering the investment made by sponsors, the selection of candidates, and the general goal of a masters program. If it is tailored towards research, do you think they will accept an individual with low likely-hood of contributing to the scientific community ? Note: no one said you should try to cure cancer. It's like someone buying the raw materials to build a sky scraper and then they come back 2 weeks later and start yelling at the contractor... WHERE IS MY BUILDING????

Last edited:
Don't think just because of us, all non-trads are the same. That's the problem another generalization. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. SDN still remains invaluable, maybe you shouldn't of started this thread the way you did, and I'm sure there are other non-trads that may cater more towards your stance.

???

My point was that some people are insisting that I don't deserve to be admitted to med school (though I already have been) because of this thread. I think the idea of "tact" went out the window long ago.

???

My point was that some people are insisting that I don't deserve to be admitted to med school (though I already have been) because of this thread. I think the idea of "tact" went out the window long ago.

I suggest rereading all your posts. I'm sure as the years pass, considering if your account hasn't been banned by the time, you will look back at this and ask yourself why did I start this thread. :smuggrin:

Are you referring to my post ? Here is a brief description of the program:

The Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology offers a special Master's of Science (M.S.) Program designed to enhance the scientific education of its B.S.-level students who have strong academic records and have been conducting research in a laboratory in this department. Normally, the M.S. requirements are completed 15 months from receipt of the B.S."

Wow, this thread really did balloon... wanted to post this before sleeping and disappearing into the Neuro boards again.

OP: Didn't know you got in to a med school. It is not an easy process, so regardless of what everyone says in this thread: Congrats (and welcome to a new gauntlet of things to survive!).

Are you referring to my post ? Here is a brief description of the program:

OH, I thought you spent 5 years just doing a Masters.

Anyways, maybe when I'm an attending ten years later ill look back at this thread and my life with some regret. But I don't think so. It's the same thing with adults saying "high school is the best years of your life." But it really isn't. Adults just say that cause in high school they didn't have to think about mortgages and retirement. But high school brought its own set of troubles.

Same with this. You guys are acting like being in your early 20s is like living in Elysium. It isn't. And if it is, I'd like to get in on that.

It is assumed as a graduate student that paper work has been taken care of. But it is still your job to effectively communicate your work into medical school admission staff terms, and if medical school is truly your goal then I would hope that (that refers to "will what I'm about to do be relevant to medical school admission) you had taken that into consideration prior to attempting to non-traditionally influence your credentials.

Also it is advisable that you revise the statement in bold, start by considering the investment made by sponsors, the selection of candidates, and the general goal of a masters program. If it is tailored towards research, do you think they will accept an individual with low likely-hood of contributing to the scientific community ? Note: no one said you should try to cure cancer.

lol wut. Why would I need to revise my statement in bold? Is it erroneous?

???

lol if those adcoms could see you now...

Wow, this thread really did balloon... wanted to post this before sleeping and disappearing into the Neuro boards again.

OP: Didn't know you got in to a med school. It is not an easy process, so regardless of what everyone says in this thread: Congrats (and welcome to a new gauntlet of things to survive!).

Heh thanks, I'm happy for some support. :)

OH, I thought you spent 5 years just doing a Masters.

Anyways, maybe when I'm an attending ten years later ill look back at this thread and my life with some regret. But I don't think so. It's the same thing with adults saying "high school is the best years of your life." But it really isn't. Adults just say that cause in high school they didn't have to think about mortgages and retirement. But high school brought its own set of troubles.

Same with this. You guys are acting like being in your early 20s is like living in Elysium. It isn't. And if it is, I'd like to get in on that.

You might not due to your accomplishments by that time, but in regards to intangible desires I believe so.

As for HS - it's a different world in terms of social judgment and generalizations that I can't stress enough. That's why I left after sophomore year, it reminds of what's going on here.

Keep in mind that entering professional school at a young age means that you are slashing away at your 20s. Although the average age of med students is around 24-25(at least...the last time I read :oops:), when they do start med school, they have enjoyed their undergrad lives so that they won't regret things in the future. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely enjoy your 20s in med school whether it's keeping up with hobbies, going out for drinks with friends, dating, occasional travelling. However, I can understand where people come from in terms of not wanting to rush into med school SO fast. I also understand that a large amount of people don't realize their interest in the medical career until after they start college, or in some cases, at the very end of their undergrad time.

Also OP, I think the reason people are jumping on you is due to the brashness of the first post. Or the fact that you are 19 might raise eyebrows. Not that it's a bad thing, but it definitely is an outlier. Barely missed the cutoff to legally drink when you do start :eek: Despite that, I doubt anyone would think negatively of you due to age as long as you are chill/nice.

And no offense dude, but how can you know about how being in your 20s is if you haven't reached it yet ;)

lol if those adcoms could see you now...

But they can't. And that's the beauty of Internet anonymity. It lets us ask open questions and get open answers. Sometimes people make mistakes. Perhaps I did with my OP.

Course, the downside of Internet anonymity is that it lets people like torshi, textbookversion, and kgpremed11 post offensive personal attacks. But that's part of the Internet I guess.

But they can't. And that's the beauty of Internet anonymity. It lets us ask open questions and get open answers. Sometimes people make mistakes. Perhaps I did with my OP.

Course, the downside of Internet anonymity is that it lets people like torshi, textbookversion, and kgpremed11 post offensive personal attacks. But that's part of the Internet I guess.

I am on the verge of posting another Sex and the City meme.

Keep in mind that entering professional school at a young age means that you are slashing away at your 20s. Although the average age of med students is around 24-25(at least...the last time I read :oops:), when they do start med school, they have enjoyed their undergrad lives so that they won't regret things in the future. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely enjoy your 20s in med school whether it's keeping up with hobbies, going out for drinks with friends, dating, occasional travelling. However, I can understand where people come from in terms of not wanting to rush into med school SO fast. I also understand that a large amount of people don't realize their interest in the medical career until after they start college, or in some cases, at the very end of their undergrad time.

Also OP, I think the reason people are jumping on you is due to the brashness of the first post. Or the fact that you are 19 might raise eyebrows. Not that it's a bad thing, but it definitely is an outlier. Barely missed the cutoff to legally drink when you do start :eek:

I understand his view and his stance because I WAS HIM IN THE SAME EXACT POSITION, I was naive, but like I've said I came to a point of realization, only if he can, maybe down the road. I wanted to get everything done fast, and couldn't fathom the idea that some would want to take a year or more off, it was mind-boggling to me and I considered it a waste of time. I boasted about myself indiscreetly, and felt proud of where I was at the time which he is as well which I don't blame him. But, it bothers me to see his point of view especially since I thought the same, but changed over the years started to acknowledge differences, and that taking it slow really is an opportunity to take advantage of every opportunity. But, he is in a position to plow straight forward, no turning back now. He's in it for the long haul. No one is trying to convince you to take time off or that you would've considered it, but to at the very least acknowledge the fact people have their own reasons and it's not always about being a cookie cutter etc etc

Meh, we're all here aren'y we? Anyway don't let them get to you as they should't you. The irony of the anonymity seen here is that we are all so eager to defend ourselves (or that stupid picture in the upper left of our posts anyway)

But let's be real. A part of you wanted this Sh**storm.

It's not an offensive attack, it's more like a informative confrontation.

Meh, we're all here aren'y we? Anyway don't let them get to you as they should't you. The irony of the anonymity seen here is that we are all so eager to defend ourselves (or that stupid picture in the upper left of our posts anyway)

But let's be real. A part of you wanted this Sh**storm.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

lol wut. Why would I need to revise my statement in bold? Is it erroneous?

Erroneous isn't the word, you are correct in that one needs to express their credentials in terms that are convenient to deal with. For example the admission staff will not read 10 pages of a research publication, simply having the publication on file and posted on the official website of the journal of the cell should suffice in proving that you have in fact author privileges of the respective paper. But can you demonstrate how this experience has affected you, what it taught you about yourself, and what it taught you about the world ? That is the beauty of effective communication. Publications, recommendation letters, grades, certifications, are all almost prerequisites. Whats more important is whether or not you can transcribe your credentials to admission staff terms, and thus when provided with the machinery of medical training eventually translate them into true-to-the-code medical practice.

I'm think we're all done bickering for one night

I think we can keep bickering, cause it gets us cash money casper youth swag mirin thug life yolo young fresh dolla holla.

I understand his view and his stance because I WAS HIM IN THE SAME EXACT POSITION, I was naive, but like I've said I came to a point of realization, only if he can, maybe down the road. I wanted to get everything done fast, and couldn't fathom the idea that some would want to take a year or more off, it was mind-boggling to me and I considered it a waste of time. I boasted about myself indiscreetly, and felt proud of where I was at the time which he is as well which I don't blame him. But, it bothers me to see his point of view especially since I thought the same, but changed over the years started to acknowledge differences, and that taking it slow really is an opportunity to take advantage of every opportunity. But, he is in a position to plow straight forward, no turning back now. He's in it for the long haul. No one is trying to convince you to take time off or that you would've considered it, but to at the very least acknowledge the fact people have their own reasons and it's not always about being a cookie cutter etc etc

I actually would have loved to take a gap year and travel the world. But given the skyrocketing med school tuition rates and the upcoming residency crunch, well, I can't really afford it. Also, I don't know if I could defer admission for a year or not. Finally, my parents, who are bankrolling my tuition, wouldn't allow it.

What ballpark portion of med students eventually become attendings? I thought it was climbing the hierarchy ladder to get there. maybe Im totally wrong.

What ballpark portion of med students eventually become attendings? I thought it was climbing the hierarchy ladder to get there. maybe Im totally wrong.

Well over 90%...pretty much everyone that doesn't flunk out.

Saying that someone doesn't deserve his med school acceptance...wow, that's a pretty serious statement to make. I never expected someone on SDN to stoop to that level. I mean, I troll pretty hard, but I would never make a claim such as that lol.

Oh well.

And, he is not the only one to feel that way. Your first post was brash and immature. When you received backlash for it, you changed your tune to coincide with another poster that clarified for you. If you truly did not intend to convey that way, you would have chosen to write it in a different way that carry your message better.

That OP was a troll post and I am amazed to find it on SDN forum. The attitude that I got from that message was a holier-than-thou one. I do not want a doctor that looks down on others or their choices. There is no one way to enter medical school.

There is nothing wrong being an EMT with the main purpose to enter medical school. If that person has devoted his time wholeheartedly to learn and to perform his job well, I do not see a problem with it. There are experiences gained when pursuing CNA or MS. It is a blanket statement to make that there is nothing or a miniscule amount to gain from pursuing that route. Have you been through that path to know what a person can take from those experiences? Straying off the main route can provide valuable insights that help to shape a person. Having different backgrounds provide a diverse group of physicians to serve the different types of people. Some types of physicians relate better to certain groups of people.

I hope that you will come across folks and experiences that will develop you as an individual. I wish you the best in that regard.

Wow, this blew up. Lotta gunnin on this thread....you know, there is more to life than medicine and getting accepted to medical school.

Also, what's up with all of these 16 yr olds going to college!?!?

Wow, this blew up. Lotta gunnin on this thread....you know, there is more to life than medicine and getting accepted to medical school.

Also, what's up with all of these 16 yr olds going to college!?!?

They want to.be a super Hwang

I'm amazed at how this thread has blown up and the amount of hate being thrown all over the place! :eek:

Can we just agree on a couple things here?

First of all, none of us are mind readers, we will never know what's going on in each others' minds. I'll never know what you genuinely enjoy or not, regardless of what you say, and you won't know what I genuinely enjoy or not, regardless of what I say.

But hopefully we can agree on the fact that there's a huge difference between someone who is taking time after undergrad to do things they actually enjoy versus someone who is taking the time to do the things the ADCOMs expect them to enjoy. Considering the sacrifices that people make when they start medical school, I'm not only all for people enjoying some time after college, but also during college as well, which is what you would get from my posts.

I understand that some people might get MS degrees (other than SMPs) because they genuinely enjoy it. And that's fine. I can also understand how certain things do seem fishier, like someone becoming an EMT or CNA for a while after graduating college. If people have the end-goal of a physician in mind, then it's doubtful that they ever wanted to become a professional EMT or CNA at any point. In the industry I was most familiar with, I met many pilots, and I have not met a single one that spent time working as a baggage handler to either get more accustomed with the flying environment or to bolster their resume for the airlines.

As silly as the above statement sounds in the pilots example, so does people becoming EMTs and CNAs because they enjoy it tremendously. I'm not trying to insult anyone that does it, but I think that someone who is working an entry-level position is likely doing it for medical school admissions purposes, which is completely acceptable. On the other hand, someone who is traveling the world, working a job in a completely unrelated industry, spending time with family, or pursuing any other endeavor is more likely going to be doing things that they enjoy. Even though the world is not black or white, I think this is a rather fair assumption to make...

So, if I get this right...

OP asked why nontrads take the road they take, which is the polar opposite of what OP takes. The way OP asked it made everyone angry.

Everyone said OP sounds naive, judgmental, and inexperienced.

OP said his age, which people used as verification of the inexperienced claim, but OP used the fact he'd been accepted to a med school to justify his particular opinion as correct.

People continued the above claims, adding that based on OP's demeanor and behavior here, they don't think OP should have been accepted.

A couple people, many of which are similar in age to OP, defended OP. The older population balked again. OP got insulted. The older population got insulted. Getting off of lawns may or may not have been involved.

And this hasn't been locked? Did I miss something? You can't educate someone who has already passed judgement on a group of people, as OP has. Is it just that time of the season when people start bickering with each other?

OP used the fact he'd been accepted to a med school to justify his particular opinion as correct.

No, I didn't... I used my age (which may or may not even be my actual age) as a way to troll textbookversion after he personally attacked me. In fact, I later admitted that I may have been wrong in making this thread.

OP talks exactly like a borderline aspy 19 year old