Why do people do random stuff for YEARS before going to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm one of those "time wasters" who had another career first (successful but not well paying) and went back to do my prereqs. I currently work in an OR to make money and get clinical experience while I'm in the application phase.

I work next to a LOT of first-year residents and see many third- and fourth-year medical students. The vast majority of them seem to have really poor social skills, act awkward in the OR, an do really nonsensical things that exasperate the staff. From my experience, few who seem confident and friendly and treat the OR staff like colleagues instead of their servants are the ones who have had real clinical jobs before medical school.

I have seen residents forget to lock the stretcher before transferring a patient from the operating table, bark at the circulating nurse with 30 years of experience and get reprimanded by their attending, contaminate the sterile field with stupid actions, say insensitive things in front of patients who are waking up after surgery, and be slobs in the break room because they have no sense that the rest of the world doesn't exist to clean up after them. I have heard through the grapevine that a few of them have paid for their actions with poor reviews.

Not that everyone should take a gap year or two before medical school, but if you spend the majority of your life in school without ever having a real job that involved working with actual patients, you're going to be at a disadvantage once you get to the clinical part of your med school years, even if it's just that you are more likely to look like a ***** for the first few months/rotations.

Opie pls, u gun get negged

Dolan pls

I'm one of those "time wasters" who had another career first (successful but not well paying) and went back to do my prereqs. I currently work in an OR to make money and get clinical experience while I'm in the application phase.

I work next to a LOT of first-year residents and see many third- and fourth-year medical students. The vast majority of them seem to have really poor social skills, act awkward in the OR, an do really nonsensical things that exasperate the staff. From my experience, few who seem confident and friendly and treat the OR staff like colleagues instead of their servants are the ones who have had real clinical jobs before medical school.

I have seen residents forget to lock the stretcher before transferring a patient from the operating table, bark at the circulating nurse with 30 years of experience and get reprimanded by their attending, contaminate the sterile field with stupid actions, say insensitive things in front of patients who are waking up after surgery, and be slobs in the break room because they have no sense that the rest of the world doesn't exist to clean up after them. I have heard through the grapevine that a few of them have paid for their actions with poor reviews.

Not that everyone should take a gap year or two before medical school, but if you spend the majority of your life in school without ever having a real job that involved working with actual patients, you're going to be at a disadvantage once you get to the clinical part of your med school years, even if it's just that you are more likely to look like a ***** for the first few months/rotations.

So u mad or u mirin?

It's worth remembering that everyone will have had several thousand hours of clinical and workplace experience before med school, so nontrads aren't special in that regard.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's great if you are prepared to begin medical school so young. Be aware, however, that you will do some growing up along the way and you will change. Late teens into mid twenties is an extremely influential time. I don't mean this in a negative way, simply that the old phrase "Youth is wasted on the young" popped into my head as I was reading. There are some things that you won't be able to realize until you're a bit older and there's nothing wrong with that. Just be aware. I truly hope that you make it to the other side with minimal regret.

I have never used the (non)word "mirin" before. I feel kind of dirty. But that shot was too good.

That was one of the wittiest things I've seen in a while.

I got accepted to U Mad. U mirin?

Well, unlike some of the fine netizens in this thread (textbookversion, kgpremed11, and LadySophia), I have enough respect for my fellow premeds to congratulate them on acceptances well deserved.

In other words...

Yea def mirin brah.

Also, expect to meet quite a few bodybuilders in medical school. This thread is over 262 pages long...

Last edited:
??

"U mirin bro" just rolls off the tongue. "U mirin sis" sounds abrupt and jarring.

I have confirmed this by repeating each phrase 20 times in case there are disbelievers.

Those marathon times in your mdapps are admirable. Makes my 4:52 look kinda weak, but I've only done one

My race two days ago reminded me how much respect I have for anyone who even finishes a marathon :thumbup: