Why do people go to DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why do people go to DO school?

• Low MCAT

Votes: 121 48.0%
  • Low GPA

Votes: 72 28.6%
  • Genuine interest in osteopathic medicine

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Location/Cost/Other

Votes: 26 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
agree 10000% :thumbup:

also, what a stupid poll. Lets get opinions of random pre-med people.

I got into MD, went DO because it was cheaper. /thread
Then I went into a competitive specialty (and also interviewed fro MD ortho). /thread again

How is it cheaper? Every DO school I've seen is just as much or more expensive due to lack of available aid.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO school is like a hand dryer in a public restroom. You know if paper towels are available you are always going to pick them over having hot air blown on your hands. Hand dryers are always telling you why they are a better alternative to paper towels (good for environment, etc). Every now and then you might meet a person who prefers hand dryers, but you know something is a little off and secretly they yearn to dry their hands with a paper towel if given the opportunity. Some people even forgo drying their hands if there are no paper towels. Ultimately, both paper towels and hand dryers accomplish their goal of drying your hands, but one never truly feels dry when using a hand dryer. This is DO school in a nutshell.

DO school is like a hand dryer in a public restroom. You know if paper towels are available you are always going to pick them over having hot air blown on your hands. Hand dryers are always telling you why they are a better alternative to paper towels (good for environment, etc). Every now and then you might meet a person who prefers hand dryers, but you know something is a little off and secretly they yearn to dry their hands with a paper towel if given the opportunity. Some people even forgo drying their hands if there are no paper towels. Ultimately, both paper towels and hand dryers accomplish their goal of drying your hands, but one never truly feels dry when using a hand dryer. This is DO school in a nutshell.

This might be the best analogy I've seen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Strong post count to trolling.

This might be the best analogy I've seen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

+1

How did you think of this analogy? I mean what possessed you to think of bathroom hand drying in terms of DO schools? I had never even thought about half of the things you said in terms of bathroom hand drying in and of itself. With that said...

Quality work :thumbup::laugh:

Brilliant, just... brilliant.

+1

How did you think of this analogy? I mean what possessed you to think of bathroom hand drying in terms of DO schools? I had never even thought about half of the things you said in terms of bathroom hand drying in and of itself. With that said...

Quality work :thumbup::laugh:

It was actually during an eight hour drive home post DO school interview. I believe it was a McDonalds restroom off the highway in bfe where I made the connection.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Good analogy. :thumbup::thumbup:

It was actually during an eight hour drive home post DO school interview. I believe it was a McDonalds restroom off the highway in bfe where I made the connection.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Lol @ that being your first post.

QFT:thumbup:

lol.... I very much respect my DO school colleagues. Just as I respect my HMS colleagues. After a few inter-school meetings with med students from multiple schools ranging from "Top 10 MD" to brand new DO, you realize that the school someone is attending doesn't really say much about who they are. My colleagues at the nearby relatively new DO school are going through 95% of the same B.S. I am going through. The differences really are marginal.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's like sports car versus scooter analogy. Which would you ride to your high school reunion? If you can't get a sports car you have to ride the scooter.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it!

tumblr_m5qf8nssHo1qbaj4uo1_500.gif

Welcome to SDN good sir.

Best analogy. Mad props to you. :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

What if the hand dryers are the only option available? Would it make sense to use papers towels from an international bathroom? :confused:

It's like sports car versus scooter analogy. Which would you ride to your high school reunion? If you can't get a sports car you have to ride the scooter.

Nah, sports car to scooter is too extreme imo.

What if the hand dryers are the only option available? Would it make sense to use papers towels from an international bathroom? :confused:

I use toilet paper because I hate the hand dryers. Also, I refuse to touch handles on bathroom doors.

I use toilet paper because I hate the hand dryers. Also, I refuse to touch handles on bathroom doors.

Yessss. International md schools are toilet paper. Your hands will be dry but you have to deal w all the tp residue/pieces left behind. Perfect.

Yessss. International md schools are toilet paper. Your hands will be dry but you have to deal w all the tp residue/pieces left behind. Perfect.

No! Not if the quality of the toilet paper/paper towels are the same. It's even possible to open the door using your chin.

No! Not if the quality of the toilet paper/paper towels are the same. It's even possible to open the door using your chin.

Yup. I'm not putting my hand on the door, but I'll gladly put my face down by it and risk getting slammed in the face :laugh:

you are my favorite

That was incredible.

Wow. Pure quality.

I really must know the answer to why people wouldn't go to a do school.
(I'm a premed)

Isn't going to a do many fold better than going to the carribean?

I really must know the answer to why people wouldn't go to a do school.
(I'm a premed)

Isn't going to a do many fold better than going to the carribean?

No one here is saying that Carib > DO.

Most people use DO as a backup for MD (see poll). They're less selective, and easier to get into.

US MD > DO > Carib/int'l

The real question being asked here is why do people attend DO schools versus MD schools. While there are those who buy into the idea of Osteopathic medicine wholeheartedly, the vast majority of people go to DO schools because it is less competitive and you still have the opportunity to get a residency and practice medicine after graduating. Most people I've talked to who are in the process of applying look at their DO choices as "backup" schools. I haven't talked to many people who prefer the DO to MD route.

Just going off my personal observations, nothing against DO pals.

Yes I know the question being asked here. In the end, DO schools should be looked at as extra opportunities to become doctors and not just merely as "back ups."

My question stemming from the bold is from the people you have talked to what were their reasons they would go to an MD school over DO?

Most people use DO as a backup for MD (see poll). They're less selective, and easier to get into.

US MD > DO >>>> Carib/int'l

ftfy

US MD > Int'l MD>>>DO

DOs, we know about you....

Yes I know the question being asked here. In the end, DO schools should be looked at as extra opportunities to become doctors and not just merely as "back ups."

My question stemming from the bold is from the people you have talked to what were their reasons they would go to an MD school over DO?

Well, that's the way it is. I think it's human nature to want to go to the more competitive school. Osteopathic medicine, right or wrong, comes with a stigma. I'd rather distance myself from it completely, if given the choice, wouldn't you?

Well, that's the way it is. I think it's human nature to want to go to the more competitive school. Osteopathic medicine, right or wrong, comes with a stigma. I'd rather distance myself from it completely, if given the choice, wouldn't you?

Yes, but you can't say that on SDN. It's not PC.

This thread = total trollishousness.

This whole issues is like the Kardashians. I mean who really cares?

Itsa abouta da money. For me at least. Plus I had WVU and Marshall to choose from. Which were both horrible for me.

That is a very interesting analogy. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the osteopathic profession and agree with and believe in many of osteopathic medicine's philosophies. The "whole person" approach to medicine is the way physicians should practice. The body's systems are, imo, too integrated to deny that this approach is optimal. I applied to and got accepted to some DO schools and loved everything about them, except the cost. However, I have chosen to go to an MD school because, its cheaper, closer to home, and has better opportunities for me as far as rotations and career are concerned. If my MCAT would have been higher, I'm not sure I would have applied to DO schools (that's just the Coors Light Cold Hard Fact). But, I am glad that I did because I am glad I explore osteopathic medicine. I am going to be a physician who treats the whole person. I don't have to be a DO to do that. Just like a DO student will be a great physician if he/she does what it takes to be so; they don't have to be an MD to be a good doctor. I don't have to be DO treat a patient holistically, I'll be a good doctor because I do what it takes to be a good doctor.

Just my opinion on this though... interesting analogy and in my personal experience, somewhat realistic.

US MD > DO > Carib/int'l

If that's the case, then Why do so many people still end up going to the Caribbean? Some people go straight to the Caribbean without even considering Do..

If that's the case, then Why do so many people still end up going to the Caribbean? Some people go straight to the Caribbean without even considering Do..
Ignorance and the beach

I think people are just afraid of DO schools bceause they know nothing about them. Plus there is still a stigma in some areas. I have heard absolutely horrible things about carribean schools and rotations . . . from students in carribean schools. I would wholeheartedly prefer going to osteopathic school than a carribean school. That's is not to say they don't produce fine doctors down south of the border...

I feel like carribean schools have more relaxed acceptance standards. There is a fantastic excel spread sheet on here somewhere that outlines residency matches and what not and DO's match better statistically. If I can find it, I'll post the link but I'm at work so no promises. I have known a few people who didn't get into DO schools but did get into carribean school.

All of this is moot, though because it's the physician that makes a good doctor, not the letters behind their name.

All of the above. Plus dat MD prestige!

I think people are just afraid of DO schools bceause they know nothing about them. Plus there is still a stigma in some areas. I have heard absolutely horrible things about carribean schools and rotations . . . from students in carribean schools. I would wholeheartedly prefer going to osteopathic school than a carribean school. That's is not to say they don't produce fine doctors down south of the border...

I feel like carribean schools have more relaxed acceptance standards. There is a fantastic excel spread sheet on here somewhere that outlines residency matches and what not and DO's match better statistically. If I can find it, I'll post the link but I'm at work so no promises. I have known a few people who didn't get into DO schools but did get into carribean school.

All of this is moot, though because it's the physician that makes a good doctor, not the letters behind their name.

Agree.

Now I may "out of bounds" with these next few sentences, but aren't carriibean medical schools are primary reason there are more medical graduates than residency spots? This may have nothing to do with anything, BUT if one could swallow there ignorant pride and go to DO school instead of carribMD, then maybe such a "crisis" could be lessened or resolved altogether. Isn't there something about carribMD money being left out of the residency funding, so carribMD schools basically dish out cash to save their graduates spots, which leave some US students sol? I might be completely off base so if anyone wants to correct or add I won't get offended (unless you're being offensive)

Agree.

Now I may "out of bounds" with these next few sentences, but aren't carriibean medical schools are primary reason there are more medical graduates than residency spots? This may have nothing to do with anything, BUT if one could swallow there ignorant pride and go to DO school instead of carribMD, then maybe such a "crisis" could be lessened or resolved altogether. Isn't there something about carribMD money being left out of the residency funding, so carribMD schools basically dish out cash to save their graduates spots, which leave some US students sol? I might be completely off base so if anyone wants to correct or add I won't get offended (unless you're being offensive)

Yup, because shifting the number of excess medical graduates from the Caribbean to US DO schools would lessen the number of graduates. :thumbup:

Use your brain man.

Yup, because shifting the number of excess medical graduates from the Caribbean to US DO schools would lessen the number of graduates. :thumbup:

Use your brain man.
Unless you consider how fast DO schools are popping up over the country and that they have bigger class sizes than MD's. The excess is going to happen. Wouldn't keeping the money inside the US health system help to alleviate the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.