Why do people say they "wrote" the MCAT or test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always found this puzzling. It seems like the correct term would be to "take" or "took" a test. Are people who use "wrote" ESL students?

I suspect it is the case as I would make the same mistake in Spanish classes.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, whatever makes it more confusing and difficult... :rolleyes:

so let's say "wrote" instead of "took"

BrettBatchelor said:
I have always found this puzzling. It seems like the correct term would be to "take" or "took" a test. Are people who use "wrote" ESL students?

They are not necessarily ESL students; in different places people say different things; for example in Canada I think most people say they "wrote" an exam. In my highschool (British Curriculum) we used to say that we "sat for a paper" or "sat for an exam" instead of "took an exam".
It is not about a correct versus incorrect term. It is just a reflection of how many different peole with different backgrounds post on this board.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've had professors say "write" "sit for" and "take" an exam.

BrettBatchelor said:

Where exactly did you take this test to Brett? It's simply cultural. Canadians say the same. You write on a test so you can say you wrote the MCAT. But you don't take the MCAT and walk out of the room, so is saying "taking the MCAT" any better?

And I live in Los Angeles!

Indians say "gave" (atleast Gujarati Indians). I "gave" the MCAT.
Sounds kinda weird in English...

well you know that some some poeple just say................i aced the test :p

Reactions: 1 users
regionalize and culture thing. So people wrote the exam, others took the test, and even some smacked that bitch and turned it over.

I know in britan that is a popular term "wrote" additionally in aristocrtatic society some of my uppity friends use that.

Reactions: 1 user
How about when people say "I was waiting on line"? What is that? It's "in line."

Canadians I know generally say they wrote the MCAT and attended university whereas I would say I attended college, etc.

In my area we "take" exams but "writing" exams sounds a lot better - you wrote something down, not took it (stole it?) and ran out of the room.

Another difference I've noticed is "I got an A" vs. "I made an A". I always used the former but lately I think that "making" an A sounds a lot better - it reflects the work that goes into it, not like someone just gave you an A!

Members don't see this ad :)
Steiner said:
How about when people say "I was waiting on line"? What is that? It's "in line."

Waiting in a que is also a popular term.

Never fear - the AAMC is making every effort to standardize the wide array of language used in reference to this event. Indeed, soon we will all "click" for the MCAT. Although, I do believe they are keeping the phrase, "smacking that bitch and turning it over," which is generally accepted by people and aliens of all cultures, races and religions around the galaxy.

Caboose.

Reactions: 1 users
BrettBatchelor said:

Actually, in Spanish "take" makes sense; that is the way you would say it.

Caboose said:
Never fear - the AAMC is making every effort to standardize the wide array of language used in reference to this event. Indeed, soon we will all "click" for the MCAT. Although, I do believe they are keeping the phrase, "smacking that bitch and turning it over," which is generally accepted by people and aliens of all cultures, races and religions around the galaxy.

Caboose.

haha. yeah it's just a cultural thing.

Yeah, Canadians and Brits would say that they "wrote" the exam.

As someone pointed out in many of the romance languages you "do or make" the exam. I like the idea of "doing" the MCAT. Hehehe.

well in my region they say

wo kao le MCAT

;)

radioh3ad said:
well in my region they say

wo kao le MCAT

;)

yea cultural. My british friends always say "wrote."

I studied in the UK for a year, and "writing" and "sitting for" exams was standard. It's particularly fitting, because in the UK university system, that's what you do ... sit and write and write and write and write. And then sit and drink.

tomorrowgirl99 said:
Waiting in a que is also a popular term.

Perhaps in Quebec. Elsewhere, people wait in a queue.

DrDarwin said:
Perhaps in Quebec. Elsewhere, people wait in a queue.
I noticed that too.

Thanks for the responses. I just cringe everytime I see someone say they "wrote" an exam because it doesn't sound normal to me.

I get the same feeling when people use the word 'exam' in place of 'test'.. I heard a lot of that when I went to college on the East coast... so it's a double whammy when people say "WROTE an EXAM".. drives me doubly nuts..

But, hey, if you can't beat them, join them.

Back in Michigan, they used to say "tennis shoes" and "pop" (soda) .. now it's "sneakers" and "soda"... :eek: !!!

I ate the mcat

what aboot Canada?

some of you guys are really ******ed.

I won't say who exactly.

when you go to sit for the MCAT. You take a pencil (Hb) and you write on the test and you write on the paper. Hence afterwards you say you wrote the test. Its called proper english.

If you "took" the MCAT it means you picked it up and moved it somewhere. If I recall, that is a crime and AAMC can give you a zero and charge you for doing so.

If you "sit" the MCAT. You went in and sat on it. Hmmm makes it difficult to write the MCAT, unless you have the HB up your A$$.

In Quebec the translation is waiting in a tail, or waiting in line. Just to remind you, that is a different language and not ENGLISH.

BTW, I answered this thread... so now we know who is retarted. ME.

docbill said:
Hence afterwards you say you wrote the test. Its called proper english.

you're not writing the test.. you're writing ON the test/answer sheet...... unless of course you really are one of those AAMC people.. then i guess you could walk around and tell everyone you wrote the test

point taken. I mean point written!

Take/took doesn't make sense because when you write an exam you don't actually take it anywhere, you leave it there. If you actually took the exam, you would get a zero... unless it was a take home exam :p

Saying wrote/write is common around the world, even in other languages. The use of the term write/wrote typically derives from the fact that an exam is traditional completed in writing. Though our advancement in technology we are now able to use scan-trons and computers to do this, but this doesn't make the term took/take any more viable. Saying took/take would be considered ESL if anything, because most speakers of true English do not use that term. If you haven't noticed, Americans seem to have a language of their own. English speakers like to call it... American :p

Take/took doesn't make sense because when you write an exam you don't actually take it anywhere, you leave it there. If you actually took the exam, you would get a zero... unless it was a take home exam :p

Saying wrote/write is common around the world, even in other languages. The use of the term write/wrote typically derives from the fact that an exam is traditional completed in writing. Though our advancement in technology we are now able to use scan-trons and computers to do this, but this doesn't make the term took/take any more viable. Saying took/take would be considered ESL if anything, because most speakers of true English do not use that term. If you haven't noticed, Americans seem to have a language of their own. English speakers like to call it... American :p
And this thread from 2005 was bumped because...?

Never heard of writing an exam. But that's an interesting way to put it. Im rather fond of smacked the bitch. But that's a personal choice

Why do you say "take" the MCAT? Do you physically take it from the testing center?

Would LOVE to see someone try

A souvenir, perhaps?

stealing-computer.gif

I wrote the MCAT... I attended [Insert University]...

Let me give you some examples...

Boston UNIVERSITY
Harvard UNIVERSITY
New York UNIVERSITY
Cornell UNIVERSITY
Northwestern UNIVERSITY
Wayne State UNIVERSITY

A college is a part of a university... for example, College/Faculty of Arts and Sciences, College/Faculty of Medicine etc etc etc.

In Canada...
College = Smaller, cheaper, easier to get into, trade professions offered, associates and limited bachelors degrees
University = Larger, more expensive, harder to get into, bachelors, masters, PhD, MD, JD, PharmD etc. etc. offered.

In the US...
College vs University....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher...ollege.22_versus_.22university.22_terminology

I wrote the MCAT... I attended [Insert University]...

Let me give you some examples...

Boston UNIVERSITY
Harvard UNIVERSITY
New York UNIVERSITY
Cornell UNIVERSITY
Northwestern UNIVERSITY
Wayne State UNIVERSITY

A college is a part of a university... for example, College/Faculty of Arts and Sciences, College/Faculty of Medicine etc etc etc.
Unless it's a standalone institution like a LAC.

On a related note I plan on finger blasting the MCAT.

Regional colloquialisms like these usually don't bother me, but 'wrote the MCAT' does for some reason. You didn't write the test, the AAMC did. Supposing you did write anything, they would be your answers, not the test. To all the people who say you don't actually physically take the test anywhere, I would ask them if they've ever taken a class, course, lesson, walk, jog, hike, a day off, a vacation, or a holiday. 'Take' means more than just physically apprehending an object, but 'write' means only to produce something written. Please find me another instance when the object for 'write' is anything but the actual thing written.

I caressed the MCAT, and it spurned me like a jealous lover. But, with infinite patience, the beast yielded. The MCAT came to me, and I rode the MCAT.

Indians say "gave" (atleast Gujarati Indians). I "gave" the MCAT.
Sounds kinda weird in English...

Same in Russian. And yeah, it does sound pretty weird in English.

Never fear - the AAMC is making every effort to standardize the wide array of language used in reference to this event. Indeed, soon we will all "click" for the MCAT.

I am going to click the MCAT at the end of May.

Best,
C

regionalize and culture thing. So people wrote the exam, others took the test, and even some smacked that bitch and turned it over.

I know in britan that is a popular term "wrote" additionally in aristocrtatic society some of my uppity friends use that.

HAHA... I think this should be a mandatory replacement for "I am going to write the MCAT on ____"

Regional colloquialisms like these usually don't bother me, but 'wrote the MCAT' does for some reason. You didn't write the test, the AAMC did. Supposing you did write anything, they would be your answers, not the test. To all the people who say you don't actually physically take the test anywhere, I would ask them if they've ever taken a class, course, lesson, walk, jog, hike, a day off, a vacation, or a holiday. 'Take' means more than just physically apprehending an object, but 'write' means only to produce something written. Please find me another instance when the object for 'write' is anything but the actual thing written.

Cornu Ammonis, you're right bro, I totally agree with your logic. I just took a ****, but in reality I left it behind!

Alright study break over I guess.