Why Do Programs Get "Phased Out?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestIndiPsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing lately that "Counseling Psychology" programs are being phased out within the graduate level. I have a close friend of mine who I've been mentoring actually who wants to go into counseling but fears that by the time she graduates with her Doctoral degree, the degree will lose it's value.. (especially since you usually have to get your Masters first in Counseling before they will accept you..)
So my questions are..

Is this a growing trend??

Does the "phasing out" attack the failed lucrativeness or worth of a degree or is it due to the fact that the school itself may just not be able to afford it/ wants to cut costs????

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

You should call the APA and departments that have counseling Ph.D. programs with that question. I would not invest 6+ years of my life in a program based on what I learned solely from this board.............

I know that my undergraduate institution is working on switching from Counseling to Clinical psych, but I think that is mainly due to the fact that it is housed in the Department of Psychology and not the School of Education.

I think there will be a need for those with Counseling Psychology degrees. There may be fewer academic positions for the reason you mentioned but there are always counseling centers as well as research positions. It all depends on what you want to go into I feel.

Just my $.02 but keep in mind I am still a grad student who isn't even close to hitting the job market.

Members don't see this ad :)
at my school the developmental phd is being phased out and a clinical phd with emphasis on lifespan development will be developed. i know at NYU they have hugely restructured thier psychology phd programs in the recent past. these examples, anyway, seem to show an influence of market forces and an assessment of current and prospective needs.

couselling psych jsut doesn't get enough grant money b/c of their funding source structure. the grants typically go through alternate routes than clinical.