Why do students leave Columbia with such low debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentTreadOnMe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw An online article recently that said Columbia dental school is one of the good value schools because students only come out of there with like $72,000 in debt. Does anyone know why this is? Do lots of students get scholarships or something? Maybe grant money? I know the cost of living in New York is astronomical, so why do students have such low debt there?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw An online article recently that said Columbia dental school is one of the good value schools because students only come out of there with like $72,000 in debt. Does anyone know why this is? Do lots of students get scholarships or something? Maybe grant money? I know the cost of living in New York is astronomical, so why do students have such low debt there?

Uhm come again???

Source? Cause that makes no sense. I’ve got a friend who was given big scholarship money and is still coming out 200k or so in debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
Seems more like a case of rich parents bankrolling their kids into private colleges.

Tufts BU and Columbia are all private schools with absurdly low average Indebtness. Which of course doesn’t help anyone who actually has to take out loans. I have several students in my class who have everything paid for cause of physician/dentist parents paying for everything.
Ain’t it the truth. Some guys get all the luck.

Seems like a bogus website tbh..
But I wouldn't be surprised if schools were under-reporting the data.
And of course you have some students coming out with no debt due to outside help, which skews the data. I would ignore those averages and make an estimate for your own case.

Reactions: 1 user