Why does everyone have an issue with LUCOM but not UIWSOM?

Started by deleted244469
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted244469

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just curious about this. Incarnate Word is an extremely faith based university, just like Liberty, yet it doesn't receive any of the criticism that LU does. Is there a reason for this? I'm still debating sending my secondary into UIWSOM, but I'm also not a religious person, so I am on the fence.
 
LUCOM has been around enough longer to have drawn more ire.
LUCOM is affiliated with a well-known (in some circles) university with a reputation for absurdly repressive rules and intrusion into the personal lives of students.
Even though LUCOM wasn't in existence back then, it's parent institution Liberty University also bears some of the shadow of its founder and disgraced televangelist, the late Jerry Falwell. Scandal draws attention like nothing else.
Not a lot of people even know that UIWSOM is a thing. Give it time and maybe it will get hated on, too.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you should see what UIW is about first before drawing any conclusions. UIW is much more spiritual than religious, and there's a HUGE difference there. UIW doesn't want to enforce any certain religion or beliefs, but rather wants you to have a deeper connection to your own religious beliefs, spiritual beliefs, and to the world around you as a human being.

I don't see any cons to this unless you're atheist and have no sense of spirituality either, in which case UIW wouldn't be a good fit for this type of applicant.
 
I don't see any cons to this unless you're atheist and have no sense of spirituality either, in which case UIW wouldn't be a good fit for this type of applicant.

As an Atheist going to the parent university, not the med school, I can say that I've had nothing but pleasant experiences at UIW. It's also looked at very favorably in the community because of the charity work the students do as it is a requirement to graduate.
 
Last edited:
As an Atheist going to the parent university, not the med school, I can say that I've had nothing but pleasant experiences at UIW. It's also looked at very favorably in the community because of the charity work the students as it is a requirement to graduate.

I personally also believe Atheists wouldn't have a problem here. It was the most welcoming and heart-warming medical campus I've visited.
 
I'm just curious about this. Incarnate Word is an extremely faith based university, just like Liberty, yet it doesn't receive any of the criticism that LU does. Is there a reason for this? I'm still debating sending my secondary into UIWSOM, but I'm also not a religious person, so I am on the fence.
I think you should send a secondary to UIW since it is based in a large urban area which may provide some better quality rotations in the future. Also, the corridor between Austin and San Antonio is expected to be a high economic growth area in Texas and you will be right there. Of course, there is always uncertainty to consider. ALL new schools are a risk because you have no empirical data pertaining to match success, board scores and the quality of faculty and curriculum. That is why I would put all new schools in the safety column while you are determining target and reach schools to apply to as well.