Why does Pritzker have such a high average indebtedness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDub1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard from multiple sources that Pritzker is one of the most generous medical schools with financial aid with nearly everyone given a 1/2 or full tuition scholarship. Is this a recent development? I'm just wondering why they have such a high average indebtedness ($167,000) if they are so generous.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from multiple sources that Pritzker is one of the most generous medical schools with financial aid with nearly everyone given a 1/2 or full tuition scholarship. Is this a recent development? I'm just wondering why they have such a high average indebtedness ($167,000) if they are so generous.

I've also wondered this, as I've heard Pritzker is really generous with both need-based and merit-based aid. Doesn't mesh with the stats available, though. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
tuition itself is probably around 40-50K, so that plus fees and Chicago cost of living x 4 years is a lot of monies, even if you are only paying 50% of tuition.

tuition itself is probably around 40-50K, so that plus fees and Chicago cost of living x 4 years is a lot of monies, even if you are only paying 50% of tuition.

Yeah, cost of living's really high in Chicago, plus they are famous for giving out a bunch of massive merit scholarships, but maybe a good portion of students don't really receive that much?

Tuition did just cross $40,000 but the cost of living isn't actually too bad in that area of Chicago. Certainly it's not cheap but it still doesn't seem to add up to me.

Couple of reasons, IMO. First, I believe they dramatically upped the massive merit scholarships within the past two years (when they cut their class down significantly yet kept the same amount of scholarship money). The stats for avg. indebtedness are for last year's graduating class so it wouldn't account for this. Also, probably less likely, Pritzker may tend to take more private school undergrads who often carry more debt with them to medical school. This also counts towards the eventual "avg. indebtedness".

Personally, I think it's the former. Everyone I've talked to at Pritzker has gotten at least 1/3rd tuition by the time of matriculation and their tuition as-is isn't stratospheric (yes, it's avg./above avg., but nothing like OOS public). That's my best guess though...

Status
Not open for further replies.