Why don't people go to Canada to become doctors?

Basically I don't have any problem with private medical schools (that don't accept any sort of government aid) accepting foreigners. My main concern is with finances. Many schools and/or their affiliated hospital receive some form of federal or state compensation. This money is generated through taxes paid by Americans. The way I see it, Americans shouldn't be paying for foreigner's education. Now, if the "foreigner" has been well established in the United States and paying their fair share in taxes, then absolutely they are entitled to the same rights as the rest of us.

Lordy...

This thread.

You mentioned this in your last post, but there is really very little to worry about here. A lot of state schools only take a small percentage of OOS and foreign students. There's an entire system where I'm from that breaks down what county we are even accepted by - so that the state is evenly represented. I mean there's such a small percentage of foreign matriculants - I really do not see at all why you are so bent out of shape.

If someone from a different country, who usually as someone else pointed out has better stats than a lot of us do, wants to get a good medical education in the United States and a) go back and work in their country - great, we can rest assured that they have the education to back them up - I'm glad we could give up some spots for them, and b) if they want to work here... why the hell not? If they are a better physician then there shouldn't be a problem

You also speak about increasing the amount of Americans that should be in medical school. Uhm, newsflash since you're not in college yet... You're going to have a lot of classmates that should not be premed. You're going to have some kids that fail damn near every class and still tell you that they're going to medical school. So, no. Every American kid who thinks they want to be a doctor does not deserve to be in medical school just because they think they want to be a doctor. The sense of entitlement based on the fact that you're American is kind of sickening to people.

Members don't see this ad.

To refute that last standing point, 300k in Canada does not buy what 300k buys in the US. Gas is 3x as expensive, food 2x, rent 1.5x, and so on. So it balances out in the end really and makes it a non-point.

Either way, this conversation is null on every point now.

I don't think I fully understand what country you are referencing. Are you saying that America is more expensive than Canada?

Edit: Ignore. Stupid comment.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at the "Does not buy what it buys in America" I would be inclined to agree..but I had to check.

Either way, if you're doing it for the paycheck. You shouldn't be in this line of work.

Looking at the "Does not buy what it buys in America" I would be inclined to agree..but I had to check.

Either way, if you're doing it for the paycheck. You shouldn't be in this line of work.

:thumbup: