Why is it so hard to get A's in science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Obviously you don't because any class can be made impossibly difficulty. You know, where you literally get 0 answers correct on an exam. :)
1zzmctk.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

It's HIS research he's testing us on, mostly. There is no other source, and he doesn't call on people in class. There literally is no way to figure this out, you *****. You are not invincible. You would be dying in this class too.

Is there something you don't f**king understand? We are tested on incomplete information, the only people doing well are those in his lab who have access to the complete information.

I find it odd that you apparently get perfect grades despite lacking the reading comprehension ability to figure this out.

Sorry. I'm reading between the lines here.... The fact of the matter is that some students are doing well. If you put forth the effort, you CAN get that information. Heck, get a job in his lab as a lab rat if that's what it takes to get an A. Obviously, some have gotten in a position to learn the stuff well. If you truly believe he is not teaching what he tests on and there is truly no other way to get what you need and he's truly 100% inaccessible, go talk to the chair of the dept about it. Instead of sitting here whining on SDN about how tough this class is and how impossible it is and how I (and others) "just don't understand," go and DO something about it. I mean...seriously. It's the same thing I'd tell a patient and trust me their problems truly ARE impossible and hopeless by comparison to the petty stuff you're complaining about (and yet, somehow, they DO do something about it w/ enough coaching and about 90-95% improve their situation and don't end up in crisis again).

Members don't see this ad :)
It's HIS research he's testing us on, mostly. There is no other source, and he doesn't call on people in class. There literally is no way to figure this out, you *****. You are not invincible. You would be dying in this class too.

Is there something you don't f**king understand? We are tested on incomplete information, the only people doing well are those in his lab who have access to the complete information.

I find it odd that you apparently get perfect grades despite lacking the reading comprehension ability to figure this out.

Someone else needs a beer...

Sorry. I'm reading between the lines here.... The fact of the matter is that some students are doing well. If you put forth the effort, you CAN get that information. Heck, get a job in his lab as a lab rat if that's what it takes to get an A. Obviously, some have gotten in a position to learn the stuff well. If you truly believe he is not teaching what he tests on and there is truly no other way to get what you need and he's truly 100% inaccessible, go talk to the chair of the dept about it. Instead of sitting here whining on SDN about how tough this class is and how impossible it is and how I (and others) "just don't understand," go and DO something about it. I mean...seriously. It's the same thing I'd tell a patient and trust me their problems truly ARE impossible and hopeless by comparison to the petty stuff you're complaining about (and yet, somehow, they DO do something about it w/ enough coaching and about 90-95% improve their situation and don't end up in crisis again).

You show so much class by not fighting back - he looks like an idiot now. Good job =):laugh:

Ladies and Gentlemen, our future medical students. :eek:

I sometimes envy people with a major in some form of Liberal Arts. Always whining about on Facebook about having to write plays, stories, papers, and apparently still finding time to party. :(

I lol'd. You clearly have no understanding of the liberal arts.

This discussion really always kills me. Can't we all just admit that there are so many variables to this that it is ridiculous to make blanket statements about difficulty?

Yes, some subjects (orgo, physics, etc), are inherently difficult. However, what never seems to be factored in are people's natural abilities, interests, etc. Put me in an advance math class and I would get my arse handed to me. It just isn't my thing. But I also know people how are great at math and would not last in the literature course I just took. They really struggle with it. So which one is "harder?"

Then, there has been this lengthy debate about professors. I think we can all admit that there are some professors that are easier, some more difficult, and some that really have no business teaching at all. Not to mention professors that play favorites, or, worst of all, interject their political views in grading their papers. Which is harder, a biased professor grading your paper, or an impartial one grading your chem test?

My point to all this is that it is really subjective. Nobody on hear can tell someone what is easier or harder, it really depends. Likewise, it is impossible for someone on here to tell someone that they are being a baby about their professor's grading etc, because there is really know way for one to know that from behind a computer.

ITT: people who have never taken a rigorous upper level class in their life.

You can get a 100% on any exam if you try hard enough!!!

bowrofl.gif

Take even a junior level physics or math class and get back at me, genius.

Why couldn't it be like other classes where if you do the work you get an A. Why do they make it so top 5 % get A's. Why do they have to make science classes so many credits to bring down our gpa. Why is this world so cruel

Because life isn't ****in cookies. Science is difficult. Little minds need not apply. *****.

Members don't see this ad :)

There's no need to resort to calling names.

Also, if the material you're being tested on is his research, the key to doing well is: PubMed the literature his lab's putting out...That way, if you get something wrong but his own research supports your stance, you can easily make a winning argument. A lot of schools have access to many journals and even if yours doesn't, there are always people willing to help you out and use their VPN access or whatever to get you the pdf.

I'd love to see some pre-meds taking upper level English composition or an advanced psycho-biology class where you need to apply multiple methods from courses you took a long time ago . It's a different cup of tea. But anyways plenty of pre-meds party, I personally am taking 18 credits this semester and partied at least once a week and still managed a 4.0. It's all about good organization and time management.

You also have a pretty average overall GPA, so I'm not sure you're one to be lecturing about time management.

Science classes are actually easier for me to get an A in than other classes, surprisingly enough. I think it's because science is based off hard evidence, and it's not up to the grader's discretion on how to interpret your answers. You're either right or wrong often, and that's a lot easier to study for.

You also have a pretty average overall GPA, so I'm not sure you're one to be lecturing about time management.

Science classes are actually easier for me to get an A in than other classes, surprisingly enough. I think it's because science is based off hard evidence, and it's not up to the grader's discretion on how to interpret your answers. You're either right or wrong often, and that's a lot easier to study for.

What's wrong with his stats? And from a very solid school...not that any of that should matter to you. Difficulty depends on how hard they make the tests. The material is all the same, but if the test is more than just knowledge it can get quite difficult. Not to mention some professors/schools require a greater volume of material than others.

If there are others getting A's there are no excuses. You do what you have to.

I agree with above posts about so many students today feeling entitled. I'm sure most of them are freshman, who have yet to realize that three years from now they will understand one class is insignificant.

It's much easier to complain and justify your own lack of dedication. That's what you're doing. You're looking for some confirmation that the effort your putting into doing well in these classes is adequate. That should be a red flag for you. If you have to do that, you're not trying hard enough.

I've seen too many students spout this type of rhetoric. Believe me, it gets you nowhere fast.

Last edited:
fwiw i never made an A in an undergrad science class. cause damn straight it was waaaaay too hard! who the hell gets like 94% on an exam?

standardized tests otoh are completely different.. as long as you can focus well enough to get like 2+ SD on the exams that matter (MCAT, STEP 1) you can not worry about in-house stuff.

If there are others getting A's there are no excuses. You do what you have to.

I agree with above posts about so many students today feeling entitled. I'm sure most of them are freshman, who have yet to realize that three years from now they will understand one class is insignificant.

It's much easier to complain and justify your own lack of dedication. That's what you're doing. You're looking for some confirmation that the effort your putting into doing well in these classes is adequate. That should be a red flag for you. If you have to do that, you're not trying hard enough.

I've seen too many students spout this type of rhetoric. Believe me, it gets you nowhere fast.

I will assume you are not talking to me.

ITT: people who have never taken a rigorous upper level class in their life.

You can get a 100% on any exam if you try hard enough!!!

bowrofl.gif

Take even a junior level physics or math class and get back at me, genius.
Wellllll...

Someone can get a 100% on any exam if they try hard enough...maybe (probably) not all exams and maybe not you lol (maybe not me either, but if its a cut and dried objective grading course like physics or math its definitely possible), but if you have adequate understanding of the material you will be able to answer the questions correctly. Subjectively graded tests (essay writing, etc...) are an exception.

Yeah, I totally got into a top school and pulled 3.9+ for most of my academic career including most of upper division because this never occurred to me. I have no idea what hard work is about, and I feel like I have the right to have grades handed to me on a silver platter. That's why I go through literally reams of printer paper every quarter diagramming crap, doing practice problems, taking hyper efficient nonlinear notes and printing out supplemental materials. That's why I use draft printing on tests for maximum legibility. That's why my family sometimes forgets that I even live with them while school is in session; because I have no idea how to study.

It all makes so much sense now! Thank you for pointing this out, I will get right on it.

What's the point of this post? You're obviously using sarcasm for something.

I'm a 4th year who has been accepted to medical school. Not once did I waste one second of my time thinking like this.

If you think excelling in classes, for you, means doing what you've described, then do it. I didn't have to disconnect from people close to me to excel in classes. I find your post ridiculous and an obvious defense mechanism for something.

DO YOUR BEST. That's all you can demand from yourself. Trust me, you'll know when you're doing your best.

Additionally, sarcasm means very little on an INTERNET FORUM. It just makes you look stupid. Was that your goal?

Yeah, I totally got into a top school and pulled 3.9+ for most of my academic career including most of upper division because this never occurred to me. I have no idea what hard work is about, and I feel like I have the right to have grades handed to me on a silver platter. That's why I go through literally reams of printer paper every quarter diagramming crap, doing practice problems, taking hyper efficient nonlinear notes and printing out supplemental materials. That's why I use draft printing on tests for maximum legibility. That's why my family sometimes forgets that I even live with them while school is in session; because I have no idea how to study.

It all makes so much sense now! Thank you for pointing this out, I will get right on it.

If you are really doing what you describe, I think this may be the problem. You sound like you're probably studying inefficiently. To get a 3.9 at a tough school should not require you to disconnect with the world. That is unhealthy and likely to lead to burnout over time as well as psychosocial issues down the road.

Oh no, I've lost respect over the internet! E-peen -1! :scared:

Lol. There is no "respect" on the internet. Again, you look stupid. It has nothing to do with your respect. If you are looking for respect on the internet, you have a whole new problem on your hands.

Most members (who know what the hell they're doing) are here to help others wanting to become physicians. You want us to support any lack of effort you've put forth. Not going to happen.

Last edited:
As long as you put in the time, it is possible to get an A in a science class. The professor for the A&P class I just finished bragged about having 65% of his students finish with a D or F. When he said this at the beginning of the semester, it was the students decision whether to believe what he was saying and work hard.....or just not give a F*** and screw around. In the end......most of them were sorry.

It just comes down to study habits. If only the top 5% of your science class gets an A.....then do what you have to do to get in the top 5% of your class.

I don't want anything. Stop calling me stupid.

No one has called you stupid.

No one worth listening to is going to tell you that settling for 2nd place and whining about how impossible it is to get first is okay. Getting 2nd is a great thing but strive for first. Obviously, someone has achieved it. Do whatever it takes to be that person. Or, if you're not willing to do that, at least be honest with yourself that you simply don't have the time/will/whatever to be that person.

No one has called you stupid.

No one worth listening to is going to tell you that settling for 2nd place and whining about how impossible it is to get first is okay. Getting 2nd is a great thing but strive for first. Obviously, someone has achieved it. Do whatever it takes to be that person. Or, if you're not willing to do that, at least be honest with yourself that you simply don't have the time/will/whatever to be that person.

Absolutely. And perhaps don't even look at it as being that person, but trying to emulate study skills that have helped them achieve. We all learn and excel in our own way. However, you clearly need to work on things. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. We've all had to take a long look at our ourselves in the mirror, at one time or another, and decide what we want out of life and how we can make that happen realistically.

It just comes down to study habits. If only the top 5% of your science class gets an A.....then do what you have to do to get in the top 5% of your class.

LOL easier said than done. What if you make a B+ and that's top 10%? I'm now less qualified because this equates to a 3.3? What if I go to a competitive school and everyone works hard in the class? I'd say in that case top 10-20% is good. GPA is not always an accurate thing. Of course there are general trends, but you see my point.

I'd say in that case top 10-20% is good. GPA is not always an accurate thing. Of course there are general trends, but you see my point.

While that is "good," and while you may be right about the accuracy of GPA, what you think doesn't matter in this situation. Your job is to do your absolute best during your undergraduate years because the competition is brutal out there. Stop thinking about how well others are doing.

We could all play this game forever.

I'm seeing a pattern: excuses flying (by no particular member), followed by rational answers to help those having a hard time, followed by more excuses. It's so much easier to come up with reasons not to advance yourself. Trust me, I know this.

I dont know because they suck?

I'm happy when i get a B in a hard science course, this semester i'm sitting on an A- going into my chem final, but im pretty sure itll drop down to a B or B- it just wouldnt suprise me because it will be insanely hard.

Anyways best of luck, we all hate finals and i bet your just stressed right now

I feel ya, OP. I'm a double major, one in molecular bio, the other in economics. Guess which one is a lot easier. I think a lot of what makes upper level science classes hard is that in order to differentiate between great students professors - at least at my school - end up testing on a lot of trivia instead of concepts. Whereas in econ for instance, it's all a couple of concepts which if you understand you'll get an A.

I probably would have had to retake orgo II if my prof. didn't give the nationally standardized test for the final. It was literally five times easier than his ridiculous midterms.

Why couldn't it be like other classes where if you do the work you get an A. Why do they make it so top 5 % get A's. Why do they have to make science classes so many credits to bring down our gpa. Why is this world so cruel

aw. :( keep your head up!!

You didn't call me stupid, so come whatever may, I will call you stupid. I've explained several times how ******edly unwinnably unfair and difficult this situation is, and you don't get it. That's okay, because you probably wouldn't even have done as well as I did in this class.

Because of this, I hope you die in a fire, because I think you're a ***** and if you managed to actually become a physician my faith in humanity would die a little. I would hate to see you get to run around killing patients while vomiting sunshine and kittens about "hope" and "believing in yourself" and other smarmy idealistic crap that does not apply to real world circumstances.

There, I said it.

What are you gonna do?

Lol

You didn't call me stupid, so come whatever may, I will call you stupid. I've explained several times how ******edly unwinnably unfair and difficult this situation is, and you don't get it. That's okay, because you probably wouldn't even have done as well as I did in this class.

Because of this, I hope you die in a fire, because I think you're a ***** and if you managed to actually become a physician my faith in humanity would die a little. I would hate to see you get to run around killing patients while vomiting sunshine and kittens about "hope" and "believing in yourself" and other smarmy idealistic crap that does not apply to real world circumstances.

There, I said it.

What are you gonna do?

LOL.... I'm going to laugh at your childishness. The fact that you even think I would care is amusing in and of itself, kid. Grow up.

LOL.... I'm going to laugh at your childishness. The fact that you even think I would care is amusing in and of itself, kid. Grow up.

:thumbup:

He just affirmed how weak he is as a prospective anything. Wishing death on somebody else? Yes, prime doctor material. ;)

Please don't use that term in a derogative fashion. You've just lost about any respect I may have had for your situation.

A couple days ago, VikingLegacy told another user:

VikingLegacy said:
I hope you get AIDS and die. :)

This post was deleted, as were the posts of all of the users that quoted him.

Why is more action not taken against him? Why isn't he banned?

For a future physician to say things like this, REPEATEDLY, is extremely depressing. Ban him.

Thank god! The PC brigade is here!

Don't you think there are some terms that those in the medical field should avoid out of medical context? Especially in an insulting fashion?

"******ed" is one of these words. This also includes things like wishing terminal illnesses on others, I would think.

Listen, I've worked with special needs kids, both in HS and college. I find this extremely insulting and frankly don't even care whether it's politically correct or not. It just shouldn't be said by a future doctor.

Don't you think there are some terms that those in the medical field should avoid out of medical context? Especially in an insulting fashion?

"******ed" is one of these words. This also includes things like wishing terminal illnesses on others, I would think.

I don't say that word to degrade the mentally challenged. I say it to make fun of stupid people.

You're a sad loser, as is this VikingLegacy character. Two little children. But don't let me stop you from whining about how hard the world is on you two. You make for an entertaining read.