Why is "Step Up to Medicine" reviewed by mostly medical students at "lower-tier" schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Completely unimportant, just-because-I-was-wondering type of question. I was simply surprised, I was expecting contributors from Harvard, Yale, Vanderbilt, etc, but nope. It's a lot of people from places like Lake Erie, Edward Via. Not saying that's bad I'm sure they're brilliant people. Like I said I was just surprised, there may not even be a real answer.

Members don't see this ad.

They have more important things to do, you'll have to make do with low-tier no name trash.

Reactions: 5 users
They have more important things to do, you'll have to make do with low-tier no name trash.
Yeah man, trash. I'm just a future physician composed of waste. : (

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know but I did find that book unreadable

Reactions: 3 users
and Master the Boards is written by nursing and naturopaths.... what has the world come to. [sarcasm]

Completely unimportant, just-because-I-was-wondering type of question. I was simply surprised, I was expecting contributors from Harvard, Yale, Vanderbilt, etc, but nope. It's a lot of people from places like Lake Erie, Edward Via. Not saying that's bad I'm sure they're brilliant people. Like I said I was just surprised, there may not even be a real answer.
Why are you reading Step Up to Medicine as a premed?

Reactions: 1 users

Because name brand doesn't matter that much when it comes to mastering material. They aren't teaching the real/better medicine at Harvard, while the rest of us are just learning second rate medicine. The rest of it is that there are just a lot more docs from all the other schools. There are what, like 200 med schools in the country? Is it really surprising that all books aren't authored by people from just 5-10 schools?

Incidentally, if you really want to do the most effective pre-study, forget Harvard and Yale. You should focus more on works from Princeton. I have a whole series on DVD that delves into lots of rare diseases.

The Ambulatory Medicine chapter is the entire family medicine shelf.

He is just trying to build new good habits. The ones, you know, med students at "high" tier places have. Reading SUTM ain't one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Actually I was looking for a book that simply outlines core pathophysiology, but goes into more depth than my EMS textbook did. There is some irrelevant information because we can't do lab work or imaging but it has some great extra considerations too. I picked it up out of curiosity and it was actually exactly what I was looking for, so I bought it. Yes, the edition will probably change several times before I actually need it.

Why are you looking up the medical student reviewers of a book

Why is a pre-med starting a thread in Allo

I was under the impression that this forum was for medical student related issues. This is clearly not one.

Everyone knows that everyone at the respectable med schools like Harvard or Yale already have memorized Step Up before they start med school and have finished studying Harrison's before they take Step 1. By the time they're in clinicals they're writing their own text books and publishing cutting edge research that us peons at low-tier schools could only hope to understand someday...

Reactions: 3 users
lol is this a thing a lot of people don't know about? students are always freaking over the family shelf
I felt that it covered more like ~60-70% of the FM shelf.

f29.png

Ftfy