why is texas special?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Brain said:
True. They're pretty high here in Sugar Land though.

Damn man you live in sugar land? People out there are friggin rich!

Members don't see this ad.

Learfan said:
You be the judge. According to the bank, my house could be sold for $130K and the annual taxes are about $2200. Not too bad.

Then don't move here to Pearland. We're shelling out over $11,000 a year in property taxes. Such is life without an income tax.

chaeymaey said:
That is so true! People really do get stuck here in a way totally different from anywhere else. I totally thought that I would go out of state for college and I didn't. Then I thought I would go out of state for med, and now I'm practically praying to go to a TX med school. Must be something in the water...

No kidding. Here I am, embarking on 2 more degrees across the street from my undergrad in TX, despite applying and interviewing all over the country. I was even born in a hospital within walking distance of both schools. As much as my parents are nuts about purifying water...that must be it :)

But if you're in a big city like Houston, there's actually quite a bit of artsy happenings and off-kilter culture that you wouldn't expect in "the South".

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy...As maybe the only person from New mexico on SDN, I must hasten to my beloved state's defense. Sure we may be underserved, underpopulated, and undereducated, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Heck, most of the country won't even know it's actually part of the union until it's quarter comes out. Our medical schools top five for rural medicine and top 20 for family med.

Aside from nuevo mexico, sure texas has it's problems and Cowboys fans are the worst people on earth, but have you been to Austin? I challenge anyone to find a nicer city in that part of the country.

sigepwelker said:
Aside from nuevo mexico, sure texas has it's problems and Cowboys fans are the worst people on earth, but have you been to Austin? I challenge anyone to find a nicer city in that part of the country.

People always rave about Austin. I've never spent much time there so could someone please tell me what's so appealing about the city?

Out here in Texas we are known for 3 things...

Cattle, Athletes, and Beautiful Women....CAN I GET AN AMEN!!! I love this place, its so nice, warm/scortchingly hot weather, it can go from 30 degrees to 110 in the span of 30 minutes...The Dallas Cowboys aka "AMERICA'S TEAM" which they officially got coined as after the film Debbie Does Dallas as far as why they do their own medical school application, who really cares?? is it that big of a deal? :confused: :confused: :laugh: :laugh: :p :p :D :D :oops: :oops:

Omidjoon said:
Out here in Texas we are known for 3 things...

Cattle, Athletes, and Beautiful Women....CAN I GET AN AMEN!!! I love this place, its so nice, warm/scortchingly hot weather, it can go from 30 degrees to 110 in the span of 30 minutes...The Dallas Cowboys aka "AMERICA'S TEAM" which they officially got coined as after the film Debbie Does Dallas as far as why they do their own medical school application, who really cares?? is it that big of a deal? : :oops: :oops:

Athletes? How are they known for athletes? Curious...

And about the Cowboys thing: Try telling 36 million Californians and 20 million New Yorkers that the "Cowgirls" are America's team. They sure as heck aren't mine... :thumbdown:

UCSBMed1 said:
Athletes? How are they known for athletes? Curious...

Well, Texas is the breeding ground for some of the best football in the country. High school football in Texas needs to be explained to outsiders because you can't fathom the intensity. As far as other sports - I see you have a Kings avatar. That means you know who won the NBA title this year - a Texas team.

And about the Cowboys thing: Try telling 36 million Californians and 20 million New Yorkers that the "Cowgirls" are America's team. They sure as heck aren't mine... :thumbdown:

Ok let me give it a shot: Hey Californians, Hey New Yorkers, the Cowboys are America's Team. suck it trebek!

MadameLULU said:
People always rave about Austin. I've never spent much time there so could someone please tell me what's so appealing about the city?
nothing dude, its a big liberal, weirdo haven. aside from that, there are tons of young people and its a pretty attractive city peoplewise id say. the nightlifes good. actually id say its one of the best cities in texas now that i think about it. its hilly, and theres some nice real estate i believe. but the liberal weirdo factor is detracting.

Okay, here's what I don't understand. I think like 3 people now have mentioned 'hot women' as one of the perks of living in Texas. Did I miss something here? Texas has a few pretty people (like anywhere else) but what is most striking about Texans is not their beauty but their obesity! I have had several friends and relatives visit me from Nevada and California, and all have commented on how fat Texas people, and Texas women in particular are. So I dont' understand why some people are saying Texas has a lot of hot women. Have you guys never been to the west coast? Or do you find the fatness attractive? I'm confused :confused:

getunconcsious said:
Okay, here's what I don't understand. I think like 3 people now have mentioned 'hot women' as one of the perks of living in Texas. Did I miss something here? Texas has a few pretty people (like anywhere else) but what is most striking about Texans is not their beauty but their obesity! I have had several friends and relatives visit me from Nevada and California, and all have commented on how fat Texas people, and Texas women in particular are. So I dont' understand why some people are saying Texas has a lot of hot women. Have you guys never been to the west coast? Or do you find the fatness attractive? I'm confused :confused:
houstons fat as hell. austin not really since its a young city and not quite as "dirty south". austins got a lot of hot sorority chicks and thats the perspective i get around the ut campus, the fatties stay inside and away from view. i hear new yorks beautiful compared to tx, somehow ppl there do not get away with being ugly, too cutthroat maybe. sigh, gotta get out of tx asap.

whatever HATERS. Getunconscious and Shredder - thank you for the anecdotal evidence. However - I am a purveyor of science and I say that Texas women are 76.45% hotter than the northeast and 35.44% hotter than the west coast.

The figures are from a formula I call the SitraAchra Theorem which calculates the rate at which I become aroused around women of a particular location.

It's science.

SitraAchra said:
Well, Texas is the breeding ground for some of the best football in the country. High school football in Texas needs to be explained to outsiders because you can't fathom the intensity. As far as other sports - I see you have a Kings avatar. That means you know who won the NBA title this year - a Texas team.

Ok let me give it a shot: Hey Californians, Hey New Yorkers, the Cowboys are America's Team. suck it trebek!

High school football? Give me a break! How much money does that bring in, or how much publicity does it get outside of Texas? The fact that you need to explain it to non-Texans doesn't help prove your point as "Texas--the athletic state."

If you want to talk about the sport that "breeds athletes," look no further than the one that produces the most quality PROFESSIONAL athletes, and has the greatest number of professional sports teams (and championships). I don't really need to tell you what state that is do I? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only here for the salsa. That's all I missed when I was away.

Look at any college or Pro football teams starting line-up ANYWHRE in the US.

A significant proportion of these folks have played Texas high school football.

:thumbup:
:smuggrin:

sunnyjohn said:

I'm glad someone gets it!

Shredder said:
nothing dude, its a big liberal, weirdo haven. aside from that, there are tons of young people and its a pretty attractive city peoplewise id say. the nightlifes good. actually id say its one of the best cities in texas now that i think about it. its hilly, and theres some nice real estate i believe. but the liberal weirdo factor is detracting.

If you really need a state that is MORE CONSERVATIVE than TEXAS you are a scary, scary man. The thing I dislike most about Texas is the conservative ideology. Other than that, our state kicks ass! And I would also agree that Texas women are pretty hott ;) Ah vanity...everyone's favorite sin :laugh:

UCSBMed1 said:
High school football? Give me a break! How much money does that bring in, or how much publicity does it get outside of Texas? The fact that you need to explain it to non-Texans doesn't help prove your point as "Texas--the athletic state."

If you want to talk about the sport that "breeds athletes," look no further than the one that produces the most quality PROFESSIONAL athletes, and has the greatest number of professional sports teams (and championships). I don't really need to tell you what state that is do I? :cool:

As for the money that Texas high school brings in, let's say it's more than some lower tiered Div I colleges bring in, and most Div II. I know for a fact that the coach in my home town and a couple others in the district are making a six figured salary. As for exposure, just last season, my old high school, Ryan High in Denton played Southlake Carrol on ESPN. Yes that's ESPN. This isn't the first time it's happened either. These two teams have been nationally ranked and publicized for the past several years. I am sure the same is true for other teams in years past located in Texas.

getunconcsious said:

I met a guy that moved here from Canada that said that Texas was packed full of women and a lot of them are hot and single. I’m too involved in my studies to notice but I’d like to know where they hang out. :) I think the older people in Texas tend to be obese.

theringworm said:
As for the money that Texas high school brings in, let's say it's more than some lower tiered Div I colleges bring in, and most Div II. I know for a fact that the coach in my home town and a couple others in the district are making a six figured salary. As for exposure, just last season, my old high school, Ryan High in Denton played Southlake Carrol on ESPN. Yes that's ESPN. This isn't the first time it's happened either. These two teams have been nationally ranked and publicized for the past several years. I am sure the same is true for other teams in years past located in Texas.
Go Southlake! It's your Birthday!

dance.gif

The stars at night, are big and bright,
deep in the heart of Texas!
The prairie sky is wide and high,
The sage in bloom is like perfume,
Reminds me of, the one I love,

The coyotes wail, along the trail,
The rabbits rush, around the brush,
The cowboys cry, "Ki-yip-pee-yi,"
The doggies bawl, and bawl and bawl,

tgerwuds said:
The stars at night, are big and bright,
The prairie sky is wide and high,
The sage in bloom is like perfume,
Reminds me of, the one I love,

The coyotes wail, along the trail,
The rabbits rush, around the brush,
The cowboys cry, "Ki-yip-pee-yi,"
The doggies bawl, and bawl and bawl,

oh, yeah! I forgot... the WOMEN ARE ALSO HOT!

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Yeah but Texas schools give you more bang for your buck. Baylor (#12 or 13) cost 6,550 and UTSW (#18) cost 7,550 per year. Name other top 20s that cost this little to attend. Texas schools rock!

Ummm...the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA comes to mind. Haha.

UCSBMed1 said:

Have you not heard of Friday Night Lights? That's all about Odessa's Permian High and Midland's Lee High......right here in Texas. Or hmmm....lemme see....Varsity Blues?? I could go on and on and on, but ya know what I mean. Permian High in Odessa has a football stadium that is larger than some of the University stadiums in Texas and most other states that don't have amazing football programs. Believe me, you don't want to get into a football "smack talking war" with a bunch of Texans....you wont come out alive!

sigepwelker said:
Easy...As maybe the only person from New mexico on SDN, I must hasten to my beloved state's defense. Sure we may be underserved, underpopulated, and undereducated, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Heck, most of the country won't even know it's actually part of the union until it's quarter comes out. Our medical schools top five for rural medicine and top 20 for family med.

Austin sucks, or at least Congress, from the Hickory Street Cafe to 4th street. As a country boy who moved there to work downtown, I was shocked when Leslie got pissy with me for looking at him/her. I had to make a break for the good ol conservative haven of Amarillo. I tend to agree with Moosepilot, although I do run into a liberal or two every now and then. I think they get blown off of I-40 by accident, so I don't blame 'em. I just start walking towards then with a leather covered calculus book, which they mistake for a bible, and voila', gone never to return. :smuggrin:

sunnyjohn said:

:laugh: :laugh:

You need to look outside the Big-XII, bro. Most players aren't from Texas, just like most aren't from California. To say that any one state dominates a country of 286 million in producing professional athletes is preposterous.

jodyleeann said:
Have you not heard of Friday Night Lights? That's all about Odessa's Permian High and Midland's Lee High......right here in Texas. Or hmmm....lemme see....Varsity Blues?? I could go on and on and on, but ya know what I mean. Permian High in Odessa has a football stadium that is larger than some of the University stadiums in Texas and most other states that don't have amazing football programs. Believe me, you don't want to get into a football "smack talking war" with a bunch of Texans....you wont come out alive!

No one's arguing with you regarding Texas' dominance in prep-football. The fact that anyone would be proud of being the capital of pimple-faced gridiron is laughable to me.

Who gives a flying crap about HS football! I sure as heck don't. And I don't recall ever seeing that HS football game on ESPN as someone mentioned, and I watch A LOT of ESPN. Guess it was only broadcast "deep in the heart of Texas." :laugh:

sunnyjohn said:
http://www.texasfootball.com/

Alas, folks not from TEXAS will never understand.

You all are sooooooooooo funny with your Tx discussion. But in all seriousness, while it is not the greatest state of the 50, I don't think it would be the most boring place to live at. I think places like Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas/Forthworth, etc.

I'd rather live there then live in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, Montana, The dakotas, etc.

Also, Tx has a lot of cultural diversity that you don't get in many other states. They may not be the greatest place, but they aren't the worst place to live.

Oh and they do have one of the top 20 med schools in their state, in having Baylor present. So you can't beat that. :)

On a recent trip back to my hometown in california to visit friends, I realized a few things. First as much as I like california, Texas is not such a bad place. I like the food better in Texas. Austin was a bit weird at first but i miss the place now that i have moved away. I miss all the free stuff you can do there, the endless things that you can do outdoors and the young atmosphere. The best things about texas are cheap tuition and the general hospitality of texans. The worst things are the horrible weather Crazy texas weather don't like it wait a minute and it may change.

Last edited:
relema said:
On a recent trip back to my hometown in california to visit friends, I realized a few things. First as much as one day I want to end up back in california, Texas is not such a bad place. I like the food better in Texas. Austin was a bit weird at first but i miss the place now that i have moved away. I miss all the free stuff you can do there, the endless things that you can do outdoors and the young atmosphere. The best things about texas are cheap tuition and the general hospitality of texans. The worst things are the horrible weather and the crazy bible thumpers. Crazy texas weather don't like it wait a minute and it may change.

but doesn't Cali have cheap tuition too????????? A friend of mine (not premed) told me his tuition prices and they are cheap in comparison to here in Fl.

Shredder said:
houstons fat as hell. austin not really since its a young city and not quite as "dirty south". austins got a lot of hot sorority chicks and thats the perspective i get around the ut campus, the fatties stay inside and away from view. i hear new yorks beautiful compared to tx, somehow ppl there do not get away with being ugly, too cutthroat maybe. sigh, gotta get out of tx asap.

Shredder,
Totally off topic but..........

What the hell is that guy doing to Donald Trump's hair in your avatar????

It looks like someone when they are putting bhindi on a person's forehead. :laugh: :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
You all are sooooooooooo funny with your Tx discussion. But in all seriousness, while it is not the greatest state of the 50, I don't think it would be the most boring place to live at. I think places like Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas/Forthworth, etc.

I'd rather live there then live in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, Montana, The dakotas, etc.

Also, Tx has a lot of cultural diversity that you don't get in many other states. They may not be the greatest place, but they aren't the worst place to live.

Oh and they do have one of the top 20 med schools in their state, in having Baylor present. So you can't beat that. :)

Two. Baylor and Southwestern

ascrimmins said:
Ummm...the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA comes to mind. Haha.
Ok, you got me on that one...but we have TWO top 20 schools (Baylor AND Southwestern) and none of the med schools in the state cost more than 10K. But you are right, University of North Carolina kicks cheap, cheap ass.

Can I get a oooo weee? Can I get a yeee haww?!

Yea..after being in the east for four years, it sure is nice to be back in TX!!

:p

BlinkyCat said:
Can I get a oooo weee? Can I get a yeee haww?!

Yea..after being in the east for four years, it sure is nice to be back in TX!!

:p
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UCSBMed1 said:
No one's arguing with you regarding Texas' dominance in prep-football. The fact that anyone would be proud of being the capital of pimple-faced gridiron is laughable to me.

Who gives a flying crap about HS football! I sure as heck don't. And I don't recall ever seeing that HS football game on ESPN as someone mentioned, and I watch A LOT of ESPN. Guess it was only broadcast "deep in the heart of Texas." :laugh:

I think you need to stop visiting this thread, you don't seem to share any of our culture or values and I'm sorry for the disparity. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SitraAchra said:
I think you need to stop visiting this thread, you don't seem to share any of our culture or values and I'm sorry for the disparity. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm just tired of Texans proclaiming that their state is the best at everything. No one likes to hear anyone brag (whether it be a Texan OR a Californian--my state has its fair share as well).

You also must remember that this is coming from a 49er fan--so anyone calling the Cowboys "America's Team" gets a Niner fan pretty pissed off, just as I'm sure it does across the country.

Also, this has nothing to do with values, as mine are pretty similar to many Texans (somewhat Conservative, more likely right of center). This is about your Texas praising and America bashing.

gujuDoc said:
but doesn't Cali have cheap tuition too????????? A friend of mine (not premed) told me his tuition prices and they are cheap in comparison to here in Fl.
They are not bad, but I stil think TX schools tuition are a bit cheaper, especially when it comes to medical school.

:thumbdown:
SitraAchra said:
And I am again forced to show you the door.

I'll post whereever the heck I want man. I'll show you my fist, you prick.

UCSBMed1 said:
You also must remember that this is coming from a 49er fan--so anyone calling the Cowboys "America's Team" gets a Niner fan pretty pissed off, just as I'm sure it does across the country.

Fellow Californian here, uhm - if you are going to argue about how much better California is, please don't use the 49ers as evidence. Let's just pretend they are not from here mmmmkay? We have the Raiders though... SILVER AND BLACK!!!

Flopotomist said:
Fellow Californian here, uhm - if you are going to argue about how much better California is, please don't use the 49ers as evidence. Let's just pretend they are not from here mmmmkay? We have the Raiders though... SILVER AND BLACK!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and by the way, if you gonna use Cali as an example, just switch over to basketball and use the Lakers as a prime example of their more excelling sport.

Flopotomist said:

How many championships have the Raiders won my friend? The 49ers have won a league leading FIVE. If any team is not from here, its the nomad Raiders. Are they from LA or Oakland, who knows? :laugh: Guess fans wouldn't either since they don't sell out the games and therefore are blacked out. Never happens to the Niners, even if they are bad.

But this thread is about Texas... ;)

gujuDoc said:
Shredder,
Totally off topic but..........

What the hell is that guy doing to Donald Trump's hair in your avatar????

It looks like someone when they are putting bhindi on a person's forehead. :laugh: :laugh:
its larry king, you didnt recognize him? hes verifying the realness of his hair, thus my caption. donalds often accused of having fake hair/wig, but hes got a full, robust head of hair

:thumbdown: tx, its cheap but you get what you pay for

gujuDoc said:
But I agree, Tx is like the sister to Fl in backwardness, though I think you got it worse. Must have something to do with being runned by the Bush family. J/k.

hahaha. :laugh:

yourmom25 said:
i dont know about y'all but i love texas. i'm proud to call it my home. haha.

I am planning to attend medical school in Texas as a Canadian student, as I f*cking hate Canada.

I know it's going to be very hard to get accepted, but I think I can do it if I continue to score 4.0 GPA ;)

I like Texas. Everytime I go there I find the people much friendlier than Canadians and the weather is very nice.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
If you really need a state that is MORE CONSERVATIVE than TEXAS you are a scary, scary man. The thing I dislike most about Texas is the conservative ideology. Other than that, our state kicks ass! And I would also agree that Texas women are pretty hott ;) Ah vanity...everyone's favorite sin :laugh:

I am pursuing a career in medicine in Texas because of your conservative ideals. Texas is just where it should be right now.

In fact, I'd also agree with the other poster. I wouldn't mind if Texas was even more republican.