Why is there a stigma attached to wanting to own "fancy cars" on SDN?

... No other field offers the same level of job security with that kind of income.

As I have said in hundreds of other threads, this is the battle cry of virtually everyone in medicine who ends up hating their jobs. This stuff is important from a distance but won't make a long houred job you don't enjoy palatable.

And it's not even really a true statement-- there are lots of tight markets in certain specialties, plenty of people who can't find the right job, or find the job security notions a myth when their group loses a big hospital contract and has to lay doctors off. In my prior career I also worked with quite a few doctors whose practices went bankrupt -- and the economy was better then. The number of doctors I know back in job search mode isn't insignificant. Medicine is a good gig for the right, hard working person who loves the job function, but you are going to work very very hard and in many settings you can still be at risk of being fired - job security only seems "guaranteed" in the eyes of premeds.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, everybody seriously entertaining and responding to this kid-- remember what you thought when you were fifteen?? Remember how right you thought you were about everything you thought?? Okay.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Medicine is risky in several respects.
2. IQ is not correlative to success in business and anecdotal evidence shouldn't guide you.
3. Playing it "safe" in life will get you nowhere anyways.

Your post has been invalidated.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you sexually molest a patient, kill/injure them through a a mistake so obvious that it's not even a mistake, or attack an uber driver after a night of clubbing, the boss isn't going to walk in one day and say "sorry, I'm letting you go".

This is assuming you're a PCP working for someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
But honestly it's a harder longer road than some of you believe

]Absolutely. I'm not even at the halfway point yet.

Not even at the halfway point? Ha!

What, are we now including Kindergarden and elementary school on the road to being a doctor? Kid, you're right you're not even halfway there becuase you haven't even started yet. Your long road begins when you begin medical school. Quite frankly, high school and college are all complete jokes compared to the effort and hours you will be giving up to go through medical education.

I would be willing to bet 100 bucks that you wash out before even attending medical school.

You can't just fake your way through interviews? I do it all the time very effectively—kind of like Ted Cruz.

Oh you do it all the time with all those interviews you've had as a 17 year old? Kid you are hilarious. Tell us all about your extensive interview experience. Please.

Perhaps tell us of that time you had to fake your way through that interview at Wendy's for your summer job?

Alright, enough of this dumpster fire. Someone close this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you sexually molest a patient, kill/injure them through a a mistake so obvious that it's not even a mistake, or attack an uber driver after a night of clubbing, the boss isn't going to walk in one day and say "sorry, I'm letting you go".

Ok consider yourself corrected then-- you are wrong -- you can absolutely be fired in medicine without a causal incident. I personally know a bunch of doctors who got laid off recently when their practice lost a contract with the big local hospital to another practice. I know a guy who is now getting a full time MBA because his boss wanted someone willing to do more overnights and weekends and abruptly let him go.

I also know people who had to relocate to distant states to find work. You are delusional if you think people come right out of residency and get to choose the perfect job and stay there so long as they play nice with uber. We all can be fired if the economics dictate, and there's always someone willing to work harder for less and cover the less desirable shifts breathing down our necks. It's much better than some fields but nothing is guaranteed and it's still a rat race.

I know a guy who is now getting a full time MBA because his boss wanted someone willing to do more overnights and weekends and abruptly let him go.
See, but I would want to be that guy willing to do more overnights and weekends. No family equates to more time and energy being directed towards these things. That gives me an edge. Is this what business and medicine are ultimately about? If so, I'm hooked.

And the uber thing was a reference to that Miami doctor who was fired recently.

Just something to consider OP - as a high schooler living with your parents now, maybe the thought of living with your parents as an actual adult seems ok becuase you don't know anything else, but after living alone and being independent in college, I can almost guarantee that you won't want to move back in with your parents for residency. It's one thing to be a post-grad with no job prospects moving back home for a little bit to get affairs in order, it's another thing to plan from the age of 17 to live with your parents as a fully autonomous, working professional. You need to live a little and get out in the world on your own before you can declare such ideas, in my opinion. If you still value having a fancy car over your independence years down the road after med school, then you do you man.

Just something to consider OP - as a high schooler living with your parents now, maybe the thought of living with your parents as an actual adult seems ok becuase you don't know anything else, but after living alone and being independent in college, I can almost guarantee that you won't want to move back in with your parents for residency. It's one thing to be a post-grad with no job prospects moving back home for a little bit to get affairs in order, it's another thing to plan from the age of 17 to live with your parents as a fully autonomous, working professional. You need to live a little and get out in the world on your own before you can declare such ideas, in my opinion. If you still value having a fancy car over your independence years down the road after med school, then you do you man.
I'm not leaving for college either.

You are severely limiting yourself then. I can't see how you believe you will even land a competitive speciality because hard work is definitely not the complete answer.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, right. If you want to make it in medicine you have to be flexible and go where the opportunities are. Most of us moved for both med school and residency. Some also have to move for prelim years and/or fellowship as well. And then a lot of us moved again for our job after training. It's simply unrealistic to think you can do all stages of your career at a single locale. Doctors are more nomadic -- Most likely you are going to move 3+ times in this journey.

Yeah, right. If you want to make it in medicine you have to be flexible and go where the opportunities are. Most of us moved for both med school and residency. Some also have to move for prelim years and/or fellowship as well. And then a lot of us moved again for our job after training. It's simply unrealistic to think you can do all stages of your career at a single locale. Doctors are more nomadic -- Most likely you are going to move 3+ times in this journey.
I live in a city that makes it on the top 10 cities with the most healthcare jobs list.

You are severely limiting yourself then. I can't see how you believe you will even land a competitive speciality because hard work is definitely not the complete answer.
For anything outside of the sciences I am severely limiting myself. I just so happen to live in an area that is a haven for science and healthcare in general. It's not really my decision to stay for undergrad either but rather my parents. I'm okay with it because there are really good science research universities where I live but nothing top tier when it comes to business or law.

Do not question OP, heathens, for he has attained the knowledge and wisdom of all the earths and heavens- a sage at his finest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in a city that makes it on the top 10 cities with the most healthcare jobs list.

Except this will only benefit your relatively insignificant undergraduate years. When it comes to med school and especially residency you don't get to pick and choose. Do you know how the residency match works?

Except this will only benefit your relatively insignificant undergraduate years. When it comes to med school and especially residency you don't get to pick and choose. Do you know how the residency match works?
No I don't know how residency match works. I just know that there are more opportunities here than in most other US cities. There is a top 5 ranked hospital here in addition to others. I just know that what type of residency you match into is based upon your med school scores; the better they are, the more likely you'll be able to get into a higher-end program. That's all I know about that. (The know it all teenager admits defeat!)

And there are two med schools in this city alone

You live in Cleveland OP- 2 med schools, a top 5 hospital and crappy roads.

What do I win?

No I don't know how residency match works. I just know that there are more opportunities here than in most other US cities. There is a top 5 ranked hospital here in addition to others. I just know that what type of residency you match into is based upon your med school scores; the better they are, the more likely you'll be able to get into a higher-end program. That's all I know about that. (The know it all teenager admits defeat!)

And there are two med schools in this city alone

I suggest you read up on how it works. Just know that you don't make the decision as where you end up for residency. Your rank list and a computer algorithm does.

The financial situation you hope you to find yourself in as a physician is not the straightforward path you seem to think it is.

I know we're far off the topic however, personally instead of investing in the ultra expensive brand name cars. Just buy a brand new BMW or (Whatever brand you fancy) (Not the ones that are $100k) and get custom work done on it. You could probably spend around $100k on it and have a ton of hp, torque, a fresh custom body work done on it, etc. If that option isn't for you then turn junkers or unique looking cars into a style of art if you'd like if you're on a budget. $100k is a lot of money but if save up $25k for 4 years it wouldn't be so bad after you get out of residency but you will most likely be paying off loans or trying to open your own practice, etc.

If you're going to have a good career you might as well enjoy yourself but don't be stupid with your money like yeah guys gonna buy a $200,000 car after I get out of residency and a nice house... Okay I'm sure people aren't that ignorant to say that but maybe the people who haven't got into medical school yet like the undergrads.
(I guess it could apply to the individuals who have mommy and daddy pay for their college loans. (Not hating on them but makes you a bit envious.)

I know some guys personally that like to invest in cars only and don't spend any money on anything else. It's a great hobby for sure but it's a lavish lifestyle if you want to get into racing at the tracks. I'm sure a lot of the people that want to buy nice car's is just for casual purposes though but that can be just as expensive if you're buying multiple brand name cars for the sake of doing it which is silly. (Please don't let your car sit in your garage or in your driveway on your estate if you're not going to even drive it..)

I know we're far off the topic however, personally instead of investing in the ultra expensive brand name cars. Just buy a brand new BMW or (Whatever brand you fancy) (Not the ones that are $100k) and get custom work done on it. You could probably spend around $100k on it and have a ton of hp, torque, a fresh custom body work done on it, etc. If that option isn't for you then turn junkers or unique looking cars into a style of art if you'd like if you're on a budget. $100k is a lot of money but if save up $25k for 4 years it wouldn't be so bad after you get out of residency but you will most likely be paying off loans or trying to open your own practice, etc.

If you're going to have a good career you might as well enjoy yourself but don't be stupid with your money like yeah guys gonna buy a $200,000 car after I get out of residency and a nice house... Okay I'm sure people aren't that ignorant to say that but maybe the people who haven't got into medical school yet like the undergrads.
(I guess it could apply to the individuals who have mommy and daddy pay for their college loans. (Not hating on them but makes you a bit envious.)

I know some guys personally that like to invest in cars only and don't spend any money on anything else. It's a great hobby for sure but it's a lavish lifestyle if you want to get into racing at the tracks. I'm sure a lot of the people that want to buy nice car's is just for casual purposes though but that can be just as expensive if you're buying multiple brand name cars for the sake of doing it which is silly. (Please don't let your car sit in your garage or in your driveway on your estate if you're not going to even drive it..)
Why the hell would I spend 100k modifying a car worth far less than that? You have to understand that I don't have plans to live a lavish life style. I would never want a large house because I wouldn't have time to maintain it. I would not purchase a new car either; leasing is a much better option. $2700 a month for 36 months on a LP 610-4 Huracan seems much more attractive. That's $32,400 a year. Not saying it's going to happen or anything.
The only cars I would modify (if I had the time) would be resto-mods or used, cheaper rally-type cars (e.g lancer evo).
This is all fantasizing in case I ever live in Florida or something. If I lived where I do now, I would buy a hummer just to get over the pot holes.

Why the hell would I spend 100k modifying a car worth far less than that? You have to understand that I don't have plans to live a lavish life style. I would never want a large house because I wouldn't have time to maintain it. I would not purchase a new car either; leasing is a much better option. $2700 a month for 36 months on a LP 610-4 Huracan seems much more attractive. That's $32,400 a year. Not saying it's going to happen or anything.
The only cars I would modify (if I had the time) would be resto-mods or used, cheaper rally-type cars (e.g lancer evo).
This is all fantasizing in case I ever live in Florida or something. If I lived where I do now, I would buy a hummer just to get over the pot holes.

Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself when you're 35-40 years old when you're a medical professional just saying. I mean you literally have 15-30 years before you're going to retire anyways. If cars aren't your thing invest money into a hobby that you enjoy like golf, tennis, bodybuilding, yoga, boxing, martial arts, etc. Not everybody likes spending tons of money on cars, and not everybody races their super nice sports cars on the tracks either. Everyone's got their own style, if you want to spend $100k (in total or w/e you want) on a custom style of art you can but I hope it's equip well.

I like to buy things and own them personally. I do agree leasing is a nice option. (Since you have the option to buy later if you'd like.) I mean you're probably not going to go to the tracks in a leased vehicle though.. That's of course if thats your thing. Not everybody races on the tracks obviously and you might not have the time too. (As a medical professional you might not risk getting hurt.)

I know what you mean about the pot holes where I currently live theres tons of them rip car investments.. lol I wouldn't invest in a giant house either (Maybe but not right away). It's a complete waste of money. I would rarely use the space it has unless I became a very social person who likes to have people over every other weekend. Realistically that's not going to happen for several years until I get comfortable with my "future" job anyways + I would have to be single for something like that unless my wife would be comfortable with that kind of lifestyle.

Sorry to inform you but that philosophy will bring you more pain then happiness. Ignorant physicians spending that type of money right out of residency is partially why the website Whitecoatinvestor.com was made. When you grow older you will regret those decisions. Seriously, try to find a less expensive hobby.

Sorry to inform you but that philosophy will bring you more pain then happiness. Ignorant physicians spending that type of money right out of residency is partially why the website Whitecoatinvestor.com was made. When you grow older you will regret those decisions. Seriously, try to find a less expensive hobby.
Cars for some people are more than a hobby. I was raised around cars from a young age and have always had a passion for them. I couldn't tell you how many posters and models of cars I have in my room right now ranging from 1950s Buicks to the latest Lamborghinis. I agree that you shouldn't make any big purchases until your networth rises above zero, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't once you're an established professional. Clearly I like the idea of medicine if I'd rather pursue that than take over my father's business.
There is actually a very prominent car reviewer on Youtube by the name of Saabkyle04 who's father owns a used car dealership as well. Despite his love of cars, he decided to become a full-time pharmacist rather than take over the business and possibly make more money in the long run. He still has time to put up reviews and owns several toys of his own while working full-time. Obviously medicine doesn't provide the same amount of disposable time but his story is certainly one I look up to.

Dear OP, do whatever you want. No one cares. Sincerely, everyone. In 15-20 years, you'll be a different person anyways so, like everything else in high school, none of this matters.

Forget all that...this is what you really want:
sucp-1103-10-o%2Brandy-kathie-fryes-1955-chevy-210%2Bfront-side-view.jpg

If I was a doctor the most expensive vehicle I would ever buy is a new loaded diesel truck, and it would last me more than 20 years...
Only used ones are affoardable on a middle class salary lol.. new ones require one to make mid six figures

Anyways, the thing is if you are interested in medicine for job security, and a steady paycheck then most people would discourage you from going into the field.. You don't want to talk about money when making a career choice, it should be on the bottom of your list
not saying don't factor it, but it shouldn't be a top priority

I also hope you realize that you won't be making an actual doctor paycheck until after residency that's 4+4+3 years at a minimum away
if you do neurosurgery it is 4+4+7 years away
oncology 4+4+4+2 years away

And then once you're making "doctor money" you'll have six figures worth of student debt, you might have a family, you probably will want to buy a house, etc

The whole idea that oh I'll go to med school, and then live a rich lifestyle is not realistic..
If fancy cars, and beach side mansions are your thing go into finance or start a business...

If I was a doctor the most expensive vehicle I would ever buy is a new loaded diesel truck, and it would last me more than 20 years...
Only used ones are affoardable on a middle class salary lol.. new ones require one to make mid six figures

Anyways, the thing is if you are interested in medicine for job security, and a steady paycheck then most people would discourage you from going into the field.. You don't want to talk about money when making a career choice, it should be on the bottom of your list
not saying don't factor it, but it shouldn't be a top priority

I also hope you realize that you won't be making an actual doctor paycheck until after residency that's 4+4+3 years at a minimum away
if you do neurosurgery it is 4+4+7 years away
oncology 4+4+4+2 years away

And then once you're making "doctor money" you'll have six figures worth of student debt, you might have a family, you probably will want to buy a house, etc

The whole idea that oh I'll go to med school, and then live a rich lifestyle is not realistic..
If fancy cars, and beach side mansions are your thing go into finance or start a business...
I addressed all of these concerns in previous posts. I also disagree with the don't go into a career for money thing. Who works on Wall Street primarily because they love finance?

I addressed all of these concerns in previous posts. I also disagree with the don't go into a career for money thing. Who works on Wall Street primarily because they love finance?

Easily 99% of people on this forum (me included) speak out of ignorance when they bring up business or finance. Nevertheless, in your current state of mind, medicine is not for you. Once you reach college you will probably figure that out. Probably...

You don't tell people someone they love and cherish just died because you could do nothing just because you want to make a lot of money..
Doctors in it for money probably don't make good doctors, they just want a paycheck.. they won't go above and beyond the call of duty

You don't tell people someone they love and cherish just died because you could do nothing just because you want to make a lot of money..
Doctors in it for money probably don't make good doctors, they just want a paycheck.. they won't go above and beyond the call of duty
It's not a matter of me wanting to be rich through medicine; it's me wanting to be compensated significantly more than my classmates who didn't sacrifice their twenties, who don't have to work 80 hours a week, who don't have 200k in debt, who don't have the same level of stress, who have better life styles, and who don't have to compromise their personal health to maintain the health of others.

It's not a matter of me wanting to be rich through medicine; it's me wanting to be compensated significantly more than my classmates who didn't sacrifice their twenties, who don't have to work 80 hours a week, who don't have 200k in debt, who don't have the same level of stress, who have better life styles, and who don't have to compromise their personal health to maintain the health of others.
So you're willing to be miserable just for extra compensation? See that's the thing, medicine is a sacrifice.. Instead of going to your kids big game, you just might end up caring for some really sick person in the hospital.
It's not something you do for money.. nope.. I wouldn't even look into medicine if I was after money
What I'd do is go into finance, make a ton invest, open a business, invest, etc
I'd slave my 20s away living like a broke person and investing so I can then relax through my 30s, and 40s and live comfortably

So you're willing to be miserable just for extra compensation? See that's the thing, medicine is a sacrifice.. Instead of going to your kids big game, you just might end up caring for some really sick person in the hospital.
It's not something you do for money.. nope.. I wouldn't even look into medicine if I was after money
What I'd do is go into finance, make a ton invest, open a business, invest, etc
I'd slave my 20s away living like a broke person and investing so I can then relax through my 30s, and 40s and live comfortably
I don't think you understand my position on this but that's okay.

Good news guys

I've finally accepted my mortality and the fact that I will be driving a Prius for an indefinite period of time. After experiencing a car robbery (not personally), I understand that I would be harmed significantly emotionally if I ever had the car of my dreams broken into. I would still want to go into medicine and be a public slave even if socialized medicine was put into place solely because I honestly can not see myself doing anything else (even if I was paid a resident's pay forever). I'm actually a very compassionate person when I'm not trying to act all tough-like, but it gets more difficult to feel like this holistically towards humans as I see that they are ultimately the scum of the earth. Maybe I should be a vet since animals are so innocent. Anyways I now withdraw most of the things I've said in this thread.

I know this is a few days old and has already been answered but I wanted to agree with the other poster that said this is wrong. You actually can be fired without "doing something wrong".

I have two friends who were employed general surgeons with different hospital system. The hospitals decided that they were over staffed and 30 days later they were out of a job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know this is a few days old and has already been answered but I wanted to agree with the other poster that said this is wrong. You actually can be fired without "doing something wrong".

I have two friends who were employed general surgeons with different hospital system. The hospitals decided that they were over staffed and 30 days later they were out of a job.

My heart goes out to those people, that sounds scary..

But since demand for physicians is so high, they'll find new employment faster than, say, an English major :)

Why even ask? Its your money, do with it as you please. Questions like this just get hte big rolling eyes from me. If you want confirmation that its okay youre probably not going to find it in this forum.

But since demand for physicians is so high, they'll find new employment faster than, say, an English major :)
You'd be surprised. Like anything, there aren't a lot of great jobs and there's an awful lot at the bottom of the pile that someone might take it they didn't know any better or were desperate.

You'd be surprised.

An unfair question from the outside: might there be other issues involved that the excuse of "over staffed" might cover? Frankly, surgeons being let go for "over-staffing" tells me that I do not want to work for that hospital system, and that they should expect lesser qualified surgeons applying in the future.

An unfair question from the outside: might there be other issues involved that the excuse of "over staffed" might cover? Frankly, surgeons being let go for "over-staffing" tells me that I do not want to work for that hospital system, and that they should expect lesser qualified surgeons applying in the future.
If it had been just one I would think that perhaps it was more of a personality issue.

However in this case I think they overextended themselves by employing too many new surgeons at one time, pissing off the people that had been taking the call and building their practice from the emergency room and realized that their money was better spent else where when the new guys probably didn't earn their keep.

This particular hospital system is not known for being physician friendly so I don't think they thought about what it would do to the surgeons that had been working there for years and now suddenly found themselves without a lot of ER call for business. Hospitals can play those games when they're the only game in town but we're in a big city and it's very easy to go down the street and operate elsewhere.

As I browse the forums, I'm picking up an anti-materialistic vibe pretty much anywhere money is mentioned which is understandable. What really bothers me is that people always go after cars.

Examples of such threads:
1.) Should I go into medicine for the money?
A: If your plan is to drive fancy cars, no.

2.) Good car choices for a medical resident?
A: Toyotas, Hondas, and Subarus are all good choices. Stay away from European cars.

It really annoys me how people associate "new money" with European sports/luxury cars as if the only purpose for these cars is to show off how rich you are.

I'm a long-time car enthusiast, and don't find anything wrong with wanting to own a Porsche or lower end Ferrari as a physician. I DON'T, on the other-hand, expect to live in a mansion, wear a Rolex watch, own a private jet, etc. I don't know why you have to always associate expensive cars with an expensive lifestyle.

I actually frown upon those who daily drive Lambos just because they have the money to; my philosophy says that you shouldn't drive such a car if you don't truly understand its mechanics or how to drive it.

Sorry if this isn't too medically related; I just had to release some steam after constantly seeing people speak negatively about these things.

Because the fancier the car the more expensive the maintenance and upkeep, and many people don't factor that stuff into their budget and just go for the flashiest thing they can "afford" when in reality they can't afford it at all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This happens a lot more than you'd think... A corporate healthcare system where my friends are at laid off dozens of doctors after there was a population shift away from the region. Another hospital around here took on too many doctors in anticipation of a fracking-industry boom which never happened, and they ended up laying off many. A private practice employed over a fifteen doctors around here but the partners ended up selling to a competitor that swooped in and only rehired one or two of the employee physicians. I've got a few more examples, but moral is that all those doctors ended up losing their jobs due to external factors. Most had to relocate away from the area to find jobs (probably exacerbated by being rural areas), leaving behind their community lives. Of course it's easier for them to find new jobs, as with many skilled and educated workers, but it can still be a struggle, especially for family. Job loss can really happen to anyone, even doctors.

The last thing I will say on here is that I miss the days of when cars were a way for people to express themselves and not just seen as transportation. I'm referring to the post WWII era when cars were a symbol of autonomy for young people in the USA; the ability to go out and socialize on your own, etc; Back when every single car on the road looked different instead of seeing the same 5 cars go past your window. It is sad to see car culture in America die slowly with fewer people in my generation having the same appreciation that the previous generations did. Most millennials now-a-days couldn't tell you the basics of how a combustion engine works nor could they change their oil themselves—and sadly enough—I know a few who couldn't pop their hood.
I don't see owning a nice car (whether it be a retro muscle car, a modern sports car, or a Tesla) as a materialistic possession—I see it as an experience. Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences. I don't expect anyone to understand; it's okay. Just have to move on with the times I guess...

Um the lower end Ferraris aren't cheap. And just getting parts for them will be more than the monthly income of many doctors. And so yeah that's a screaming red flag that you are focused on being a high wealth individual, a focus that shouldn't be driving your career choice for a career such as medicine. If you said you wanted to fix up used Chevys that's fine. These days most doctors drive relatively modest cars to their relatively modest homes.
1) You don't know anything about high end cars (at all).

2) I have a handful of attendings on my facebook who drive 250k+ cars.

3) You're one of those anti luxury nazis.

OP you can definitely have a high end car as a doctor. Insurance is cheap. 6k for a new clutch every 20-40k miles. 11k tops if it needs a new flywheel. Tricyclics gotta change annually at 1500 year 1, 3k on year 2, and 5k on year 3 then back down to 1500. This is for ferraris/lambos. Cheaper for bentleys/porsches.

I find it comical when people try to convince others to avoid nice things. Reality is you're going to be dead one day rotting in the ground and your older years (above 50) could very well be spent in poor health. Enjoy life while you can. Buying an audi/bmw (daily driver) and leasing a lambo/ferrari on top of it is an excellent idea if you're a car person.
Maintenance is NOT that high. Lease payments aren't ridiculous either. So what exactly is wrong with it? Absolutely nothing.

...Insurance is cheap. 6k for a new clutch every 20-40k miles. 11k tops if it needs a new flywheel. Tricyclics gotta change annually at 1500 year 1, 3k on year 2, and 5k on year 3 then back down to 1500...
I find it comical when people try to convince others to avoid nice things...
And I find it comical when people who don't yet have a doctors income (and are at best "Facebook friends" with those who do) but are somehow experts on what those with attending incomes can afford. The days of doctors having such disposable income that they can afford spending six digits on cars they don't use is over. And having two cars means garaging two cars, insuring two cars, maintaining two cars even if the price tag isn't crazy ( although the figures you listed for maintenance actually would be a much bigger bite out of people's incomes than most would want to spend on their second car). It's expensive even if your second car is a Toyota, let alone a Ferrari.

If your point is that, like OP, you could live with your parents eating Raman and have a luxury car sitting in a garage someplace, I think we've already addressed this -- but for most that's the comical situation.

We've already addressed this -- can you live like crap but have a nice car in the garage? Perhaps. But you'll probably not have that second luxury automobile to drive around in, and I suspect quickly grow out of this notion, which I think only really has wings on the high school board.

Write back in 20 years when/if you are in the socioeconomic position to afford all this - I suspect it will be an amusing (comical) read.

I find it amusing that right now NFL teams are all putting on seminars for their rookies on how now to end up broke and a lot of the mindsets they are trying to break regarding fancy cars and unrealistic and unnecessary expenditures are found on this thread.

The days of doctors having such disposable income that they can afford spending six digits on cars they don't use is over
What do you mean by "six digit cars they don't use"? I thought the joke was that doctors have so little free time that the only time they can enjoy themselves in on the drive to or from the hospital.

So to clarify:
- You're saying the days of having a disposable income that is more than what most others have is over
Well, I guess that's fine with me as long as I have as much free time as most others professionals do if I'm not being compensated monetarily for working 80 hours a week

- Physicians work 70-80 hours a week and basically dedicate their lives to the profession; it's difficult to have time for a family, maintain hobbies, or sleep adequately.

Alright, so I'm going to be working overtime, constantly stressed out and sleep deprived. I will have little time and money to pursue the hobbies I care for like restoring cars. Okay, sounds pretty unappealing so far, but maybe it will ultimately be worth the sacrifice because I will have autonomy and respect from the public.
- People on SDN: Doctors are losing autonomy and socialized medicine is becoming a reality; more doctors will be working for large hospitals. The 'doctor status' is dying too as more people see it as a regular job and physicians as crooks who rip you off for a 15 minute checkup.
Umm. So no money, no autonomy, no respect, no time, no life, no health. So it seems to me now that the only reason I should consider this field is if if I want to basically enslave myself. Yet, demand for physicians is going up but getting into a medical school isn't any easier nor is the lifestyle or salary improving. I'm utterly confused.

You said previously that you have to like the lifestyle to be successful at the job. Does that encompass just the stress and late shifts at the hospital or the whole not having a life and being a slave part?

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me anymore. I'm baffled.