Why pharmacy is NOT a good career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ladyg228

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The Bureau of Labor Statistics released new Job Outlook, which in negative now. It's -3% for 2019-2029. What Kevin is saying the job outlook for 2018-2028 was 0%. Pardon, but is it 2028 now? Though the BLS changed their predictions. What creeps me out is that what would the job outlook for 2020-2030. Is it -5% or -7%? Not only the inflow of a new grads contributing to such state of things, but also automation and closing independent pharmacies due to chains/insurances aggressive practices of reimbursement . Personally, I was supposed to work at one independent pharmacy but the hospital in which the owner rented the space decided to cancel the leasing agreement and redirect the scripts to its mail-order pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
The Bureau of Labor Statistics released new Job Outlook, which in negative now. It's -3% for 2019-2029. What Kevin is saying the job outlook for 2018-2028 was 0%. Pardon, but is it 2028 now? Though the BLS changed their predictions. What creeps me out is that what would the job outlook for 2020-2030. Is it -5% or -7%? Not only the inflow of a new grads contributing to such state of things, but also automation and closing independent pharmacies due to chains/insurances aggressive practices of reimbursement . Personally, I was supposed to work at one independent pharmacy but the hospital in which the owner rented the space decided to cancel the leasing agreement and redirect the scripts to its mail-order pharmacy.

BLS is a few years behind the actual market, we are probably already at -5% to -10% at this point. Just looking at the NAPLEX 1st attempt number for the past 3 years (2017-2019), there has been roughly ~14,000 PharmD graduates/year. That is the influx of 42,000 PharmD within 3 years, would there be even 10% of position available in the last 3 years.....HIGHLY unlikely.

Now, factoring in company mergers, later retirement, RPH re-joining the workforce post-retirement, PharmD who take on second employment to have full-time employment, PGY-1/PGY-2 residents fulfilling positions that were once staffed by pharmacist. The number of available positions continue to diminish for a multitude of reasons. At the current trajectory, there will NEVER be enough positions for the sheer amount of current PharmDs.

Bonus: You can add in another ~15,000 pharmD from 2020 and in another 9 months, there will be additional ~15,000 from 2021.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BLS is a few years behind the actual market, we are probably already at -5% to -10% at this point. Just looking at the NAPLEX 1st attempt number for the past 3 years (2017-2019), there has been roughly ~14,000 PharmD graduates/year. That is the influx of 42,000 PharmD within 3 years, would there be even 10% of position available in the last 3 years.....HIGHLY unlikely.

Now, factoring in company mergers, later retirement, RPH re-joining the workforce post-retirement, PharmD who take on second employment to have full-time employment, PGY-1/PGY-2 residents fulfilling positions that were once staffed by pharmacist. The number of available positions continue to diminish for a multitude of reasons. At the current trajectory, there will NEVER be enough positions for the sheer amount of current PharmDs.

Bonus: You can add in another ~15,000 pharmD from 2020 and in another 9 months, there will be additional ~15,000 from 2021.
I thought so too that BLS way behind the actual market. At this point, it's immoral for pharmacy schools to accept new students since they teach something that will disappear soon. Probably, people don't realize how things can change quickly within a couple of years. Also, I think the school thing will balance out in the future the hard way. More and more unemployed pharmacists will apply for student loan forgiveness, only then the government decided not to finance something unprofitable. Gradually, pharmacy schools will die out since no loans (or very limited quantity) will be provided for pharmacy degrees. As for now, schools are trying to squeeze the most while they are not regulated.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I thought so too that BLS way behind the actual market. At this point, it's immoral for pharmacy schools to accept new students since they teach something that will disappear soon. Probably, people don't realize how things can change quickly within a couple of years. Also, I think the school thing will balance out in the future the hard way. More and more unemployed pharmacists will apply for student loan forgiveness, only then the government decided not to finance something unprofitable. Gradually, pharmacy schools will die out since no loans (or very limited quantity) will be provided for pharmacy degrees. As for now, schools are trying to squeeze the most while they are not regulated.
Government has already started the process. The military is no longer taking in anymore pharmacists nor pharmacy students. Only thing that could be done at this point is to close down schools which also has begun.

If you're a new grad for the next 5 years or so, may want to find a back up job to survive.

Government has already started the process. The military is no longer taking in anymore pharmacists nor pharmacy students. Only thing that could be done at this point is to close down schools which also has begun.

If you're a new grad for the next 5 years or so, may want to find a back up job to survive.

What is the government actually doing about it?
Do you have links, I'd like to read on it.

What is the government actually doing about it?
Do you have links, I'd like to read on it.
There is nothing government should or will do about it. This is our problem. We have to utilize the government to fix it but government itself isnt going to initiate.

The reason I know the military isnt hiring is because I applied to become a navy officer. They said of all the healthcare professionals, pharmacist is the only profession they will not be actively recruiting or hiring for awhile.

There is nothing government should or will do about it. This is our problem. We have to utilize the government to fix it but government itself isnt going to initiate.

The reason I know the military isnt hiring is because I applied to become a navy officer. They said of all the healthcare professionals, pharmacist is the only profession they will not be actively recruiting or hiring for awhile.

The government helped create the problem by giving big loans to anyone who wanted to go pharmacy school. This fueled the over saturation.

It's more like -20%... 2020 data hasn't even been included in the projections which includes the mass layoffs at WAG, WM, CVS, hospitals, zero job growth due to covid, etc. Whoever is going into pharmacy these days is a lost cause and I have zero sympathies for them...

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
It's more like -20%... 2020 data hasn't even been included in the projections which includes the mass layoffs at WAG, WM, CVS, hospitals, zero job growth due to covid, etc. Whoever is going into pharmacy these days is a lost cause and I have zero sympathies for them...
It's definitely alarming to see some of the responses from pre-pharms. It's insane to me that facts/knowledge about the market are taken as "buzzkill" or "the bitter/discontent ramblings of a jaded pharmacist." Numbers don't lie!

Simply sharing information to help guide young individuals to make an informed decision.
Life becomes exponential harder when you amass debt you have no way of paying back or getting rid of!

Say NO to debt slavery friends!

It's very typical to see pre-pharm kids thinking that somehow this doesn't/won't have an effect on them. They see a few jobs posted in the area and think, "look, see, jobs!" not realizing that there will be 30-40 people at least applying for each spot.

Reactions: 6 users
It's very typical to see pre-pharm kids thinking that somehow this doesn't/won't have an effect on them. They see a few jobs posted in the area and think, "look, see, jobs!" not realizing that there will be 30-40 people at least applying for each spot.
Well the vast majority of 2020 grads are still unemployed so make that a couple hundred applicants per job opening. Though most employers will close out those postings within a few days due to sheer volume of applicants...

Well the vast majority of 2020 grads are still unemployed so make that a couple hundred applicants per job opening. Though most employers will close out those postings within a few days due to sheer volume of applicants...

I still get job notifications in my area and some have been open for quite some time. However, these are niche positions that are difficult to fill. New grads certainly aren't qualified for these positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still get job notifications in my area and some have been open for quite some time. However, these are niche positions that are difficult to fill. New grads certainly aren't qualified for these positions.
It would be interesting to see the numbers around:
•How many apps are automatically screened out by HR before reaching the hiring manager
•Average number of days a real job posting gets before being taken down
•Average number of applications to job postings that stay up for >1 month

I posted a part time/prn for my pharmacy a few months ago. Got 50 applicants in first 2 days and ended up with 200+ by second week. I stopped checking after 200 so there may have been way more.

Not sure if any new grads will qualify for any position other than cvs or walgreens haha. I dont even bother to look at the resume unless the applicant had at least 2 years of experience.

It's definitely alarming to see some of the responses from pre-pharms. It's insane to me that facts/knowledge about the market are taken as "buzzkill" or "the bitter/discontent ramblings of a jaded pharmacist." Numbers don't lie!

Simply sharing information to help guide young individuals to make an informed decision.
Life becomes exponential harder when you amass debt you have no way of paying back or getting rid of!

Im discouraging people to go into pharmacy because i want to stop this rapid decline of quality of our profession, not because I care about these pre-pharma being in debt lol i could careless if they want to throw away their money and not be able to find a job.

Last edited:
I posted a part time/prn for my pharmacy a few months ago. Got 50 applicants in first 2 days and ended up with 200+ by second week. I stopped checking after 200 so there may have been way more.
What are you offering them? $30/hr?

This is interesting. Military pharmacy officers have been tough slots to fill and keep filled historically.

The government helped create the problem by giving big loans to anyone who wanted to go pharmacy school. This fueled the over saturation.

Don't blame the government. Take PR (personal responsibility). I bought my first home before the housing crash in 2008. Realtors wanted me to spend more, my lender would give me more. I bought and took only what I was comfortable with and did fine.

Wonderfully vague. I don’t even know what that means. Only cowards lowball? Or real market value is even less than 30/hr? Seems like it could be read either way to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This is interesting. Military pharmacy officers have been tough slots to fill and keep filled historically.
The impression that I get is that it is sort of a low level management position...Not much adventure to jabber about at the O'club...Are there still O'clubs that a few ancients haven't taken over? The last one I was in I got booted out of for wearing a "utility uniform"....all my duds were 500 miles and two hours behind me...

Wonderfully vague. I don’t even know what that means. Only cowards lowball? Or real market value is even less than 30/hr? Seems like it could be read either way to me.
If you think that the market value of a profession could go from $60/hr to $30/hr, for any career, I dont know what to tell you. If you think that offering $30/hr for rph is justified just because of the current situation then you are the problem.

If you think that the market value of a profession could go from $60/hr to $30/hr, for any career, I dont know what to tell you. If you think that offering $30/hr for rph is justified just because of the current situation then you are the problem.

Interesting way to frame my post. I never said it was justified, only that using the term ‘coward’ and how you constructed the sentence was vague enough to be taken either way. How is lowballing “cowardly“? Why not just tell us what the true market value is that you offered?

Interesting way to frame my post. I never said it was justified, only that using the term ‘coward’ and how you constructed the sentence was vague enough to be taken either way. How is lowballing “cowardly“? Why not just tell us what the true market value is that you offered?
No, it wasnt vague. Just because I didnt state a specific amount, anyone reading the reply would still know exactly what i meant. Unless youre actually paying a pharmacist $30/hr or you think that its justified to pay a pharmacist $30/hr, no one should question what I said. Period.

Well unless youre a coward... lol

No, it wasnt vague. Just because I didnt state a specific amount, anyone reading the reply would still know exactly what i meant. Unless youre actually paying a pharmacist $30/hr or you think that its justified to pay a pharmacist $30/hr, no one should question what I said. Period.

What does reading comprehension have to do with being a coward? I am not sure you know what that word means lol

Your statement is not as clear as you think it is. How should we know what you consider true market value?

Reactions: 4 users
Are you kidding me? It's always easy for ASD(HA) to meet manpower requirements. They go through RIF and rehire cycles all the time. Whenever there was a shortage, it was a function of making the RIF deal too good.

PHS is another story.

Q: "Is Joe Biden using a teleprompter?"

A: "WE'RE NOT GOING TO FALL FOR THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN'S TALKING POINTS AND ENGAGE IN YOUR DISTRACTION TACTICS. YOU DO THIS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A COHERENT ARGUMENT FOR WHY TRUMP DESERVES RE-ELECTION..."

Q: Are you paying pharmacists less than $30/hr?

A: ANYONE WITH A BRAIN SHOULD KNOW WHAT MARKET RATE MEANS. I DON'T NEED TO DEFINE THIS BECAUSE IT'S COMMON SENSE... YOU'RE THE REAL PROBLEM FOR BRINGING THIS UP...

What does reading comprehension have to do with being a coward? I am not sure you know what that word means lol

Your statement is not as clear as you think it is. How should we know what you consider true market value?
Not sure how you would think paying a pharmacist $30/hr is justified.

I would consider someone a coward for paying a pharmacist $30/hr because you simply can at this point. Yes, i know how the economy works. I thought that you would simply understand what I meant without having to explain why we are worth more than $30/hr.

There is nothing wrong with questioning something but why would you in this case? Do you really think due to purposely created saturation, all of a sudden our value as a pharmacist just dropped in half? Where do we draw the line then? Why even pay a pharmacist? Im sure there will be plenty of pharmacists that will volunteer to work just to keep themselves busy. Yes, Ive met a few older retired pharmacists who did that. Why dont we just hire a bunch of those? We could be potentially saving so much money. Since this is all about money, correct?

We are being treated like dirt because we allowed them to. When someone decided to pay us half of what we were being paid a year ago, we say, “oh sure why not? Thats just how the world works. We dont deserve to be paid because there are plenty of us and techs could do all of our work anyways.”

I am not gonna sit here be c*cked. Im going to fight for what is right. Starting with paying my staff what they deserve.

Last edited:
Only non-for-profit organizations are allowed to use volunteers as free labor. Everyone else has to pay minimum wage.

I would consider someone a coward for paying a pharmacist $30/hr because you simply can at this point. Yes, i know how the economy works. I thought that you would simply understand what I meant without having to explain why we are worth more than $30/hr.

There is nothing wrong with questioning something but why would you in this case? Do you really think due to purposely created saturation, all of a sudden our value as a pharmacist just dropped in half? Where do we draw the line then? Why even pay a pharmacist? Im sure there will be plenty of pharmacists that will volunteer to work just to keep themselves busy. Yes, Ive met a few older retired pharmacists who did that. Why dont we just hire a bunch of those? We could be potentially saving so much money. Since this is all about money, correct?

We are being treated like dirt because we allowed them to. When someone decided to pay us half of what we were being paid a year ago, we say, “oh sure why not? Thats just how the world works. We dont deserve to be paid because there are plenty of us and techs could do all of our work anyways.”

I am not gonna sit here be c*cked. Im going to fight for what is right. Starting with paying my staff what they deserve.

I swear I originally posted this in the pre-pharmacy forum for the specific purpose of informing PRE-PHARMS! This is absolute BS it got moved to job market forum :bang:

Yup the student mod censors everything into this hidden forum. Gotta sweep the truth under the rug and protect those pre-pharms from having their passionate dreams crushed.

Yup the student mod censors everything into this hidden forum. Gotta sweep the truth under the rug and protect those pre-pharms from having their passionate dreams crushed.

Sry, the student mod has been busy entertaining pms from our Veterans Forum members. Been slacking a bit on this side of the arena.

But Alas, trying to hide the truth is getting harder by the month! I think I need a bigger rug...

Sry, the student mod has been busy entertaining pms from our Veterans Forum members. Been slacking a bit on this side of the arena.

But Alas, trying to hide the truth is getting harder by the month! I think I need a bigger rug...
Having established that even if pharmacy school is free, doing pharmacy wouldn't be worth it. So why are you still doing pharmacy? You're c/o 2021 or 2022 IIRC?

Just because you graduated a couple months ago does not put you on a pedestal to give you the high road over “pre pharmers”. How are you different?

Having established that even if pharmacy school is free, doing pharmacy wouldn't be worth it. So why are you still doing pharmacy? You're c/o 2021 or 2022 IIRC?

TLDR; military pension, no debt, work half the time for same wages as many grads, close to FIRE status, gives me time to invest in hobbies thus time to fish

It is worth it for us that know how to crunch basic numbers and draw basic readings on career forecasts. Especially some of us that are making a career change with plans on hitting the magic FIRE status by early-mid 40's due to our own diligence. That said, here is my reasoning for doing pharmacy:

Military pension + monthly housing allowance both with a tax exemption + all cost of schooling coverage brings my current take home pay to the tune of $6,721.09 a month as a fulltime student (again, tax exempt). Of course, once I graduate it'll drop 2k so $4,721.09 a month plus yearly inflation adjustments (not including spouse income of course).

With a 10 point veteran preference for VA facilities (and having already worked with their pharmacy system for some time) I do put myself in a decent position for hire. With that, a military buy-back clause for my years of service would allow me to double dip my service time toward a pension grasp with the VA (thus, establishing a second pension). Let's say its so bad though that no VA or 501(c)3 facility wants me. It's so bad that the only people who will take me is part time at the lowest wages out there in the boonies (better hunting and fishing for me). Let's dare to say it'll go down to $30 an hour when I graduate with 20 or less hours a week. With my predicted and very low possible income, I'm still pushing 70 - 85k for simply working at lower than ideal hours with lower than ideal wages. So, doing something at half the work time with the same pay as those working full time with debt....Sounds....nice? Where do I sign up?

I don't need to rely on the highest competitive wages or longest hours so long as I get established a "small" piece of that wage so I can invest in my hobbies and cut down my FIRE goal by just a few more years. Do you know how much fishing / hunting that gives me for simply having someone pay for me to go to pharmacy school? Don't get me wrong, I genuinely have an interest in the health field without necessarily being "hands on" with patients and would like to get as many hours as I see fit. Having worked in a pharmacy for some years only made that much more sense for me to just put in a few extra paid-years-of-school in exchange of better negotiating my own life forecast.

Having said that, I am an extreme outlier and if you put me in a position as many of the current students, I'd leave and not look back. Why? Saturation + Debt does not financially make sense and for many it never will.

Just because you graduated a couple months ago does not put you on a pedestal to give you the high road over “pre pharmers”. How are you different?

She speaks the truth.

why do people even watch this clown ... he was preaching dan lok's pyramid scheme shenanigans... that's when I couldn't take him seriously
He's a MCPHS diploma mill grad... pretty much has no credibility...

I wouldn't say it's "immoral". There are plenty of 50,000 USD art schools that accept new students that they teach something that isn't exactly financially pragmatic. I have no issues with my pharmacy school. I went there for the experience and to learn. Any expectation of potential earnings is a fault of the student, not the school.

Currently, I am on government benefits and semi-homeless. I keep applying for pharmacist jobs though. My goal is to make between 25-35 an hour but I would be happy with anything over $15 an hour.

"Probably, people don't realize how things can change quickly within a couple of years" yeah pharmacy saturation is not a "new thing" there has been saturation from at least 2009. This is the new normal. The schools are chasing easy federal money which will not dry up any time soon. What may dry up is warm bodies to fill the pharmacy school seats with as potential pharmacy students decide to major in studies that have more financial reward. "government decided not to finance something unprofitable" I think the government still gives loans for psychology, art, and other soft sciences so I don't think that will be the case. Good luck everyone looking for a job.

Remember to take responsibility for your situation. It is not pharmacy school's fault. It is your fault for failing to do research on your future career!

"Membership Revoked"

Good bye. I hope this member is in a better place now (online). I feel like the angry ones never last long in a civilized society.

I wouldn't say it's "immoral". There are plenty of 50,000 USD art schools that accept new students that they teach something that isn't exactly financially pragmatic. I have no issues with my pharmacy school. I went there for the experience and to learn. Any expectation of potential earnings is a fault of the student, not the school.

Currently, I am on government benefits and semi-homeless. I keep applying for pharmacist jobs though. My goal is to make between 25-35 an hour but I would be happy with anything over $15 an hour.

"Probably, people don't realize how things can change quickly within a couple of years" yeah pharmacy saturation is not a "new thing" there has been saturation from at least 2009. This is the new normal. The schools are chasing easy federal money which will not dry up any time soon. What may dry up is warm bodies to fill the pharmacy school seats with as potential pharmacy students decide to major in studies that have more financial reward. "government decided not to finance something unprofitable" I think the government still gives loans for psychology, art, and other soft sciences so I don't think that will be the case. Good luck everyone looking for a job.

Remember to take responsibility for your situation. It is not pharmacy school's fault. It is your fault for failing to do research on your future career!

So why did you become a pharmacist?

So why did you become a pharmacist?
Mainly for the experience of going to pharmacy school and for having a fun peer group to talk to about drugs. I was getting bored in life and going to school is a fun social experience. Also I wanted to take the NAPLEX but they wouldn't let me take it unless I went to pharmacy school first.

Mainly for the experience of going to pharmacy school and for having a fun peer group to talk to about drugs. I was getting bored in life and going to school is a fun social experience. Also I wanted to take the NAPLEX but they wouldn't let me take it unless I went to pharmacy school first.

I give you credit for responding, most won't. It seems like you achieved those goals. For me it was always about having a good career, a respectable one. To a large part that's come true, but in others it hasn't. Why don't you move on?

I give you credit for responding, most won't. It seems like you achieved those goals. For me it was always about having a good career, a respectable one. To a large part that's come true, but in others it hasn't. Why don't you move on?
What exactly do you mean move on? Move on to another career besides pharmacy?