Why we HATE the Gunners---Share your Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzrover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my first post ever, I have been following SDN for 3 years but I never felt the need to join and post something until yesterday (oh what a day yesterday was!)...feel free to join me and blast those dumb premed gunners who you deeply cannot stand:

So we had our induction ceremony for Phi Beta Kappa yesterday at the president's house and of course 26 out of the 42 inductees were premed. We had to list our activities and future goals and take a wild guess who put down everything they have done since they were born; yep, you guessed right, the 26 premeds. Oh, guess what no one cares that Sara made dean's list last semester or that she volunteers at the Children's hospital. Or better yet; "Johny, a senior, has been accepted to every state school in Florida and is currently deciding which presitious (?) instition he will attend next year" WHO GIVES A CRAP!!

Better yet, my friend (poli sci major), me, and this really hot business major were the only ones who have won "national scholarships" but we didn't list it, but guess what some of these tools did list: Who's Who among College students, one kid even put that he was a semifinalist for a national scholarship (hahaha).

But, by far best gunners moments:

1) Some kid put that he was like VP of this large nonprofit that I started. I have never seen the kid before and I am sure that he will put it on his med school application but I really don't care at this point.
2) Some tool in my major goes: I have volunteered in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatamala, etc and I want to go to Hopkins. I am sure that these are 1 week trips too. Everyone goes OHHH AHHH and I'm like 95% of the gunners in pre-med do the same damn thing, again no adcom will give a crap.
3) After the ceremony, this kid goes up to the president and she asks him what year he is. At the SAME TIME he and his mother go "Scotty is junior BUT he is has Senior Status" :scared::eek: WTF? Who cares???
4) All 26 kids are like I DO Research; when in reality we know that they stop in the lab for 3 hours a week, have no idea what is going on, and when they apply all they do is copy down their PIs protocol and lab investigations. None of these tools "really" do research.
5) Best one all day: this bulldog who's in some of my classes tells everyone that she is a nursing major. Ok no big deal. Come to find out yesterday, after 3 years she is a "bio" major (aren't they all) and she wants to be a doctor. Her dad goes to the president "Lizzy wants to go to UPenn or Case Western, but the U's medical schools is ranked too low for her". The bulldog nods her head yes. All this to the President of the school.:laugh::laugh:

I am sure you have these same kids in your classes, they kiss up to the teachers, try to put their names on everything, and always always always brag about how many prestigious schools they got into in undergrad." If this is you, I am sorry, and I hate you (badly). Do these tools really bc. top doctors?

Please share your stories especially if they are funny...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am going to start a thread called "Why we Hate the Gunners who complain about other gunners---Share your Story". I will reference this thread as one of my top reasons :D Really dude? Who cares. Getting into medical school requires you to be proactive so we are all gunners in some way.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is my first post ever, I have been following SDN for 3 years but I never felt the need to join and post something until yesterday (oh what a day yesterday was!)...feel free to join me and blast those dumb premed gunners who you deeply cannot stand:

So we had our induction ceremony for Phi Beka Kappa yesterday at the president's house and of course 26 out of the 42 inductees were premed. We had to list our activities and future goals and take a wild guess who put down everything they have done since they were born; yep, you guessed right, the 26 premeds. Oh, guess what no one cares that Sara made dean's list last semester or that she volunteers at the Children's hospital. Or better yet; "Johny, a senior, has been accepted to every state school in Florida and is currently deciding which presitious (?) instition he will attend next year" WHO GIVES A CRAP!!

Better yet, my friend (poli sci major), me, and this really hot business major were the only ones who have won "national scholarship" but we didn't list it, but guess what some of these tools did list: Who's Who among College students, one kid even put that he was a semifinalist for a national scholarship (hahaha).

1) Some kid put that he was like VP of this large nonprofit that I started. I have never seen the kid before and I am sure that he will put it on his med school application but I really don't care at this point.
2) Some tool in my major goes: I have volunteered in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatamala, etc and I want to go to Hopkins. I am sure that these are 1 week trips too. Everyone goes OHHH AHHH and I'm like 95% of the gunners in pre-med do the same damn thing, again no adcom will give a crap.
3) After the ceremony, this kid goes up to the president and she asks him what year he is. At the SAME TIME he and his mother go "Scotty is junior BUT he is has Senior Status" :scared::eek: WTF? Who cares???
4) All 26 kids are like I DO Research; when in reality we know that they stop in the lab for 3 hours a week, have no idea what is going on, and when they apply all they do is copy down their PIs protocol and lab investigations. None of these tools "really" do research.
5) Best one all day: this bulldog who's in some of my classes tells everyone that she is a nursing major. Ok no big deal. Come to find out yesterday, after 3 years she is a "bio" major (aren't they all) and she wants to be a doctor. Her dad goes to the president "Lizzy wants to go to UPenn or Case Western, but the U's medical schools is ranked too low for her". The bulldog nods her head yes. All this to the President of the school.:laugh::laugh:

I am sure you have these same kids in your classes, they kiss up to the teachers, try to put their names on everything, and always always always brag about how many prestigious schools they got into in undergrad." If these is you, I am sorry, and I hate you (badly). Do these tools really bc. top doctors?

1. Those stories were not funny
2. Stop making assumptions about someone's accomplishments
3. Learn from them because they are making the right steps to get into medical school through volunteering and research. I see their dedication, but not yours.

I just remember this kid from my orgo classes...who would always ask questions(orgo related yes) that had absolutely nothing to do with what was being taught. It's like yo, you want to get an A in orgo I? or do you want to get a PHD in organic chemistry in 3 months? He was funny sometimes too, show up to discussion with no book, and ask a question referencing a page in the book not even assigned(you know "I was just doing some extra reading on page 334 which talks about.blah blah blah")

Yeah, plenty of other gunner stories, but that guy was pretty funny.

p.S. i don't hate gunners,
fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, therefore no fear = no hate. Just funny

So we had our induction ceremony for Phi Beka Kappa yesterday at the president's house and of course 26 out of the 42 inductees were premed. We had to list our activities and future goals and take a wild guess who put down everything they have done since they were born; yep, you guessed right, the 26 premeds. Oh, guess what no one cares that Sara made dean's list last semester or that she volunteers at the Children's hospital. Or better yet; "Johny, a senior, has been accepted to every state school in Florida and is currently deciding which presitious (?) instition he will attend next year" WHO GIVES A CRAP!!

Better yet, my friend (poli sci major), me, and this really hot business major were the only ones who have won "national scholarship" but we didn't list it, but guess what some of these tools did list: Who's Who among College students, one kid even put that he was a semifinalist for a national scholarship (hahaha).

I am sure you have these same kids in your classes, they kiss up to the teachers, try to put their names on everything, and always always always brag about how many prestigious schools they got into in undergrad." If these is you, I am sorry, and I hate you (badly). Do these tools really bc. top doctors?

sounds like someone is extremely butt hurt and/or jealous and/or frustrated.

as stated above, pre-meds have to be proactive in their education and in their activities to succeed and help them achieve their goals, one of them (and likely one of the most important ones) is getting accepted to medical school. if you didn't do these things, then get over it. if you did, good for you. welcome to being a pre-med.

sounds like someone is extremely butt hurt and/or jealous and/or frustrated.

as stated above, pre-meds have to be proactive in their education and in their activities to succeed and help them achieve their goals, one of them (and likely one of the most important ones) is getting accepted to medical school. if you didn't do these things, then get over it. if you did, good for you. welcome to being a pre-med.

I don't think he's really trying to diminish someone's accomplishments, but just those who seem to have nothing else going on so thats mostly what they talk about. I mean if someone asks what year are you at an informal function, "junior with senior status" is just a funny response.

It's like when you ask certain people what they do for fun...and they recite "research, shadowing doctors, volunteering at hospitals, deans' list...u know normal stuff" :laugh:

must be tiring to hold such disdain for every single person you meet.

It's like when you ask certain people what they do for fun...and they recite "research, shadowing doctors, volunteering at hospitals, deans' list...u know normal stuff" :laugh:

I wouldn't say "fun" is being on the deans list, but I certainly consider shadowing and volunteering to be fun.

3. Learn from them because they are making the right steps to get into medical school through volunteering and research. I see their dedication, but not yours.
+1

I just wasted 1 min of my life reading your crappy first post :mad:

Mind your business and stop worrying so much about others. Who cares what they do?

I am going to start a thread called "Why we Hate the Gunners who complain about other gunners---Share your Story". I will reference this thread as one of my top reasons :D Really dude? Who cares. Getting into medical school requires you to be proactive so we are all gunners in some way.

Spoken like a true undercover gunner :smuggrin:

The truth is, none of these reasons are reason enough to hate gunners. However, some gunners hide their contempt for everyone in their general vicinity quite poorly, and those are the ones I do hate. They would gladly step on other people to secure a med school spot. It is people like these that do not deserve to become doctors.

...and that is how we welcome people on SDN. Anyways, we all know people like this and if they don't annoy you...YOU ARE THAT PERSON!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

these topics about people hating pre-meds and vice versa are very redundant. Yeah maybe you don't want to hear about other people's research or other accomplishments but that's the competitive life that you are going to see more of one you apply to medical school, during your 4 years and so on. Stop focusing on people that will upset you and fixate on yourself and how to be a better applicant. In the end, you are all on the same road to the career in medicine, and it's the same medicine worldwide so do not fret. Like my older brother said "...you might got your research published and I did not but I still got to the same medical school that you are enrolling."

Members don't see this ad :)
damn people chill out...
i thought the OP was entertaining

out of your whole list this pissed me off

I hate it when people lie and don't think they aren't going to get called out which i think you should've done, you should've blasted that kid in front of everybody too

Last edited:

What? I wasn't trying to be funny, I was simply pointing out how silly these stupid kids who gun for top medical schools are. I go to a school ranked like 50th on US News and these stupid gunners act like they are Harvard material.

Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that these are accomplishments: shadowing, volunteering in an OR, spending two hours a week with a graduate student in a lab, spending another 14 hours in the library, etc. NONE of this is original....its just the same damn kids in another form reincarnated...why do all the gunners do the same thing and think it is the greatest thing in the world (do they honestly have no other life?)--where is all the originality?

PS: that story about the orgo kid was funny...does anyone have any other stories like that, or are all you who have commented condescendingly above the same kids I am talking about? If so I am deeply sorry for you.

Last edited:
What? I wasn't trying to be funny, I was simply pointing out how silly these stupid kids who gun for top medical schools are. I go to a school ranked like 50th on US News and these stupid gunners act like they are Harvard material.

Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that these are accomplishments: shadowing, volunteering in an OR, spending two hours a week with a graduate student in a lab, spending another 14 hours in the library, etc. NONE of this is original....its just the same damn kids in another form reincarnated...why do all the gunners do the same thing and think it is the greatest thing in the world (do they honestly have no other life?)--where is all the originality?

PS: that story about the orgo kid was funny...does anyone have any other stories like that, or are all you who have commented condescendingly above the same kids I am talking about? If so I am deeply sorry for you.

And what makes you so special? This is how the game goes, and how it's been for a long time. Either play or get out if the rules upset you that much. :confused::confused::confused:

If you have this much hatred for your fellow classmates (who by the way are people, just like you), how are you ever going to survive through medical school, residency, and actually treating patients who will be just as proud and just as boastful about even smaller things in their life? People are not on this planet just to please you.

You might find yourself a happier person if you do as balder1 has mentioned above: "Stop focusing on people that will upset you and fixate on yourself and how to be a better applicant."

I find it amusing that you were in the same "Honors" Society (Or whatever your Greek letter organization was) as these people.

Will you list this on your app?

Every school has these individuals, though I really wouldn't classify the examples you used as gunners. Volunteering and Research is pretty standard.

A Gunner is another pre-med who schedules extra meeting with your PI without telling you then "wondering" where you are, in order to try to talk their way into being listed as an author on a paper. A sort of "Throwing you under the bus" mentality.

:laugh: OP sounds like an ULTRA-GUNNER, and even worse he doesn't even realize it yet.

Thanks for sharing, I actually find this pretty amusing, granted I know that folks doing all this stuff to pad their resumes will get into better schools than I will, so maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better :)

I clicked on this thread thinking I'd get to read funny stories about gunners who make themselves look like total a-holes, and it was just a bunch of posts bashing the OP :( Funny stories, please!

seems like the majority of people who responded to this thread completely missed the point. OP is not complaining about people's accomplishments nor is he jealous. OP was pointing out how annoying people are when they feel the need to rattle off every little accomplishment to any person willing to listen (and even to some who aren't). It's equally annoying that some people exaggerate little non-accomplishments (or in one case in OP's post basically make it up) in order to seem like they are accomplished (I can't believe someone actually included "Who's Who" in their accomplishments lol!)

anyway, the take home message from this post is that the reason people do this is that they have a deep seated insecurity which compels them to try and show people up. unfortunately you'll continue to find people like this and its good you have a sense of humor about it. to everyone else: do NOT act like the people described in OP's post!

Working hard, and being proactive about your education is one thing, but rubbing it in everybody's face and continuously making unrequested remarks about how great your accomplishments are is annoying.
If the gunner type feels the need of putting every single thing worth mentioning in their application, then let them, but a little modesty outside the application would go a long way in preventing the cultivation of contempt towards them by people like the guy that started this thread.

to be fair most pre-meds want to go to a top med school...that doesn't make you a "gunner"

sadly, this continues to happen in med school ...you see people who talk up their accomplishments (example: pretend like their research is the bomb when in fact it is pretty inconsequential), others who pre-read before class so they can ask "questions" that end up being statements of what the lecturer is about to say, etc. etc.

...just gotta learn to deal with it and laugh

Well back to the point of this thread...so the kid in the beginning who said he was a semifinalist for a scholarship worked at Camillus House for the homeless, and he boasted about that on his list too. Ok so he feels for the local homeless people right? I happened to see him on the med campus a month ago, walking to probably lab? when some homeless guy bumps into him and asks him for change. He ignores the guys and so the homeless dude walks toward him and he runs away yelling that he will call security.

Last edited:
to be fair most pre-meds want to go to a top med school...that doesn't make you a "gunner"

sadly, this continues to happen in med school ...you see people who talk up their accomplishments (example: pretend like their research is the bomb when in fact it is pretty inconsequential), others who pre-read before class so they can ask "questions" that end up being statements of what the lecturer is about to say, etc. etc.

...just gotta learn to deal with it and laugh

It never ends? :bang:

OP--You really sound like you're being bitter and insecure than these people were going out of their way to be gunners. You keep saying who cares, no one gives a crap--almost as to diminish whatever they mentioned.

In a couple cases it sounded like the parents mentioned the things instead of the students--proud parents don't mean the students are gunners.

People are proud of their accomplishments, and sometimes they like to share. I don't see how volunteering outside the country makes you a tool. It might not be the sole reason you get in, but I think they view at as more than "who cares, you tool?!

Don't be insecure. While the # of spots are limited, getting in is more or less independent of others. If you have a strong GPA and MCAT, you'll get in somewhere. Don't worry about others.

OP, it sounds to me like the people you're complaining aren't really gunners so much as people who are being run-of-the-mill snots. (Well, some of them. There's not even anything wrong with at least one of the things you mentioned.) That's different from being a "gunner" in my books. Yes, it's annoying when people toot their own horns so loudly that you go deaf and start getting into competitions over whose high horse is higher. But those people aren't gunners. :p

i love gunners.

they make me work harder.

Reactions: 1 user
I was a grad assistant (TA), and taught innumerable premed students. Most were pretty decent students, a few were brilliant, but there were always the "gunners":

GUNNER: Uh, hey, can I talk to you for a minute?
BLEG: Sure. What's up?
GUNNER: Uh, well, that last test was pretty hard, and, uh, I didn't really do very well.
BLEG: [looks expectantly]
GUNNER: I got, uh, 68% and, uh, I want to know how I can make up the grade.
BLEG: Study harder. Always do all the problems. We have a special review class before every test, so don't miss it.
GUNNER: Yeah, uh, I came to all those [no, he didn't], but what I meant was what can I do to make up this test?
BLEG: You can't make up the test. But don't worry, the low test score gets dropped.
GUNNER: Yeah, I know, but I only got a 75% on the first test, so I wanted to drop that one.
BLEG: Oh. Well, sorry.
GUNNER: So, what can I do?
BLEG: Study harder.
GUNNER: I mean about the last test.
BLEG: Nothing.
GUNNER: [after a long pause] Can I do some extra credit?

Yeah, sure you can. Like I really want to grade another assignment for someone who couldn't be bothered to learn the material to begin with. Now take the above story times 50.

My wife TA'd, too. She didn't get as many premed gunners, but she got a few, begging for "a gentleman's C" or some such after they blew off her "easy" class and tanked it.

Last edited:
Her dad goes to the president "Lizzy wants to go to UPenn or Case Western, but the U's medical schools is ranked too low for her". The bulldog nods her head yes. All this to the President of the school.:laugh::laugh:

I hope you didn't quote them exactly because I'm pretty sure UPenn is in the top 5 on US News. :laugh:

I was a grad assistant (TA) in physics, and taught innumerable premed students. Most were pretty decent students, a few were brilliant, but there were always the "gunners":

GUNNER: Uh, hey, can I talk to you for a minute?
BLEG: Sure. What's up?
GUNNER: Uh, well, that last test was pretty hard, and, uh, I didn't really do very well.
BLEG: [looks expectantly]
GUNNER: I got, uh, 68% and, uh, I want to know how I can make up the grade.
BLEG: Study harder. Always do all the problems. We have a special review class before every test, so don't miss it.
GUNNER: Yeah, uh, I came to all those [no, he didn't], but what I meant was what can I do to make up this test?
BLEG: You can't make up the test. But don't worry, the low test score gets dropped.
GUNNER: Yeah, I know, but I only got a 75% on the first test, so I wanted to drop that one.
BLEG: Oh. Well, sorry.
GUNNER: So, what can I do?
BLEG: Study harder.
GUNNER: I mean about the last test.
BLEG: Nothing.
GUNNER: [after a long pause] Can I do some extra credit?

Yeah, sure you can. Like I really want to grade another assignment for someone who couldn't be bothered to learn the material to begin with. Now take the above story times 50.

My wife TA'd French. She didn't get as many premed gunners, but she got a few, begging for "a gentleman's C" or some such after they blew off their "easy" French class and tanked it.
your ID confuses me quite a bit

I find it amusing that you were in the same "Honors" Society (Or whatever your Greek letter organization was) as these people.

Will you list this on your app?

Every school has these individuals, though I really wouldn't classify the examples you used as gunners. Volunteering and Research is pretty standard.

A Gunner is another pre-med who schedules extra meeting with your PI without telling you then "wondering" where you are, in order to try to talk their way into being listed as an author on a paper. A sort of "Throwing you under the bus" mentality.

Could someone tell me what a PI is? I'm always hearing this term, and just when I think I know what they mean, someone uses it in a different context. I've researched a bit and didn't come up with anything either.

The OP's post was actually pretty entertaining. I think the reason why he's getting so much backlash in this thread is because some of his points are hitting a little too close to home for some posters. :smuggrin: It's okay to be able to laugh at yourselves, guys.

I hope you didn't quote them exactly because I'm pretty sure UPenn is in the top 5 on US News. :laugh:

I think by "the U" he meant the University of Miami. It's a pretty common nickname for the school.

I laughed at the "bulldog" comment. That was truly funny.

Could someone tell me what a PI is? I'm always hearing this term, and just when I think I know what they mean, someone uses it in a different context. I've researched a bit and didn't come up with anything either.

PI = "primary/principal investigator"

In other words, your research advisor

I give a few hours before the OP is BANNED.

hey OP. Alot of people that come on SDN with hundreds of posts under their belt ARE those pre-med gunners and so you will get very negative responses on this forum if you talk shiz about them. Do not think that the vast majority of the kids in your school like those pre-meds - a lot of people find them annoying. Believe me.

Now watch how people will respond to my post with negativity and say things like - "dont be jelous" LOL

P.S. But this forum is a gold mine - in about every 50 posts there's one great one that will provide you with valuable information

hey OP. Alot of people that come on SDN with hundreds of posts under their belt ARE those pre-med gunners and so you will get very negative responses on this forum if you talk shiz about them. Do not think that the vast majority of the kids in your school like those pre-meds - a lot of people find them annoying. Believe me.

Now watch how people will respond to my post with negativity and say things like - "dont be jelous" LOL

P.S. But this forum is a gold mine - in about every 50 posts there's one great one that will provide you with valuable information

dont be jelous

I give a few hours before the OP is BANNED.

Why would I be banned? I'm not trolling or blatantly offending anyone am I?

This forum needs a thread like this to "honor" the true gunners out there.
Please people some more stories, they are quite entertaining.

You got your three questions troll. Now let us across the Bridge of Death!