Why you should not apply to Loma Linda.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

locke4234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a MS2 at Loma Linda Medical school and I've been debating whether or not I should make a thread about this. However, I think it would be a disservice to pre meds applying to this school if I did not share the truth about Loma Linda. I'll try to break things down in terms of categories that students should consider when applying to medical schools.

Curriculum

The curriculum at Loma Linda is outdated and most of it is not as relevant to boards as some other schools. It is also not a systems based curriculum and is highly disorganized. I have never seen a more disorganized way of presenting material in my life. For example, it is intuitive that when you learn about the cardiac system you learn about its anatomy, physiology, embryology, biochemistry, genetics, etc. However, at Loma Linda you will learn about completely different systems in different subjects. What this means is that in anatomy you will be learning about the heart but in say, physiology you might be learning about renal. This leads to odd pairing that is not conducive to learning. During one test cycle you will be forced to learn GI, immunology, and pulmonary. That is really dense and is extremely difficult to do. Not to mention highly disorganized because those systems are not traditionally paired together. Testing here is also a NIGHTMARE. You have test weeks where you have 3 days of multiple choice exams and 2 days of practical exams (anatomy and cell). That's another thing we call histology "cell structure and function".... Some good things are that lectures are recorded. Although, professors always forget to record lectures and I heard that they may stop doing it after trying it for one year. There are some professors who outright refuse to do so as well. The professors are also not great teachers. They don't really know how to teach and often go out of their way to test low yield topics more than high yield boards topics. Another good thing is that it is pass/fail so you don't have to worry about competing with your classmates. Lastly, the teaching is trash and most of the professors don't know how to teach medicine.

Retention Rates

A lot students do not graduate on time at loma linda. I can already confirm that there are about 15 - 20 students missing from our class. This is not normal because it is more than 10% of our class and the national average is about 10 percent.

Boards Scores and Matching to Residencies

Board scores are below average at Loma Linda and this will affect what residencies you want. There is a lot of talk about Loma Linda accepting candidates that are not academically strong because they like to accept students that fit their mission to serve the community and continue Christs health ministry. Therefore, they do not care about rankings and will take risks with accepting certain students. Sounds good at first, right? WRONG! I have even heard that certain administrators say that boards are not a priority. This is extremely bad for students and Loma Linda is doing them a disservice because your step 1 score holds 90% of your applications weight for residencies. I have also heard that most people do not match to what they really want. They also do not publish their match list, which is suspicious. Also, the school gives you 5 weeks of dedicated study time for board exams which is lower than the average 6-8 weeks you get at other schools.

Social/Student life and Religion

Loma Linda is a relatively conservative place. You will find judgmental people here and a minority who are not. You have no choice but to take religion courses along with basic sciences and are required to go to chapel. Loma Linda also does not allow students to drink or have pre marital sex because they make you sign a contract that says you have to abide by their religious based policies. People do drink but if you are caught or exposed they do have grounds to pretty much dismiss you. Social life is really tricky at Loma Linda because students here are honestly kinda lame. They are very clicky because most students are from Adventist schools and they pretty much all know each other. So it is difficult for those who did not come from an Adventist school. Students are not very friendly in that sense because they have a hard time accepting others into their cliques and groups more so than public school kids.

Mental Health

I am convinced that there is a mental health issue at Loma Linda. We had 3 resident suicides, which the school is trying to hide. Instead they are trying to ship students to therapy. The problem is that the school is not taking any responsibility and almost blames you for issues like burnout. In reality, mental health issues are a combination of environmental factors and intrinsic factors. The school does not want to acknowledge that their curriculum is causing burnout and negative mental health outcomes. My own mental health has become dangerously unhealthy over the past year with thoughts of depression, suicide, etc.

Politics

Many medical schools do have politics in terms of admissions where people pull strings all the time. However, it is extremely rampant in Loma Linda to a point where most admin are kinda corrupt in my opinion. Many people have had their mommy and daddy pull strings because they knew admin to get them in. Or they schemed their way in through various connections.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
@locke4234 Sounds like a bad fit for you. Aside from the religious components, it seems like your descriptions are something that every other MS2 would write about their own medical school.

Reactions: 6 users
@locke4234 Sounds like a bad fit for you. Aside from the religious components, it seems like your descriptions are something that every other MS2 would write about their own medical school.

I second this, issues with curriculum not lining up perfectly, long test days, people taking years off because of failing boards, and people not exactly matching where they want is pretty classic for medical school. Not sure if you had different expectations going in but the only odd thing about Loma Linda is that there are religious classes and you cant have sex/drink

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't you go to a medical school with a systems-based curriculum?

Reactions: 1 user
Something about not liking cats?????
I feel like threads like these are the reason why faculty & administration wants a P/F Step 1. Not so much for students to find emotional relief from Step 1 stress, but more so for administration & faculty to be let off the hook when they fail to meet the consistent demand to meet the rise in Step 1 scores. There has been an aggregate agreement that putting less emphasis on Step 1 would shift it over to Step 2/Level 2. This to me seems to appeal to faculty as they have less personal responsibility over the education process once they ship students off to clinical rotations as it becomes less of their responsibility and more of the students when it comes to being able to perform on rotations, shelf exams, and subsequent boards.

I feel that there is a significant trade off for students from mid and lower MD tier schools along with DO schools when this gets implemented who want to match into competitive specialties. I think some form of P/F outlined in the official discussion is going to pass whether it's going to be a quartile score system or an aggregate score system as it appeals to too many parties for all the wrong reasons. I am disappointed in the response that school faculty have adopted as it seems like they are framing the current system as the Titanic crashing and they are attempting to be the first ones to secure safety boats for themselves at the expense of the students who they charged to be passengers on a sinking ship. The image may be a little graphic, but I have felt that across the board administrators are pushing changes that will be a long term benefit for the institution and are willing to compromise the future potential of their students.

Last edited:
And as for the religious components, heaven forbid an openly religious school would require you to adhere to their faith-based code of conduct. Honestly, I have no patience for this kind of complaint. It isn't like they hid these policies and sprang them on unsuspecting matriculants. It's understood that, yeah, if you're going to Loma Linda you'll be expected to live in harmony with Adventist values. If you don't want to do that, no one's compelling you to apply there.

Some people's children...

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
At the end of the day you are a USMD student. That in and of itself makes the school worth attending. Like said above, I said all of that and more about my school. Minus religion of course. You can take some kind of relief in knowing that most, if not all, other medical schools treat their students like crap. I know it’s hard to see because you are only able to experience one medical school.

Ps I do still loathe my medschool so your feelings aren’t likely to go away. They just becoming less after you match In a place you are happy and as the school gets farther in your rear view mirror.

Members don't see this ad :)
And as for the religious components, heaven forbid an openly religious school would require you to adhere to their faith-based code of conduct. Honestly, I have no patience for this kind of complaint. It isn't like they hid these policies and sprang them on unsuspecting matriculants. It's understood that, yeah, if you're going to Loma Linda you'll be expected to live in harmony with Adventist values. If you don't want to do that, no one's compelling you to apply there.

I think you misunderstood. It wasn't a complaint it was more of an FYI. Some individuals value moderate drinking and healthy sexual relationships in their lives. The world does not revolve around Adventist principles. Therefore, I was merely stating facts to help future students plan accordingly.

I think you misunderstood. It wasn't a complaint it was more of an FYI. Some individuals value moderate drinking and healthy sexual relationships in their lives. The world does not revolve around Adventist principles. Therefore, I was merely stating facts to help future students plan accordingly.
They make it pretty clear on their website and across the various internets. If you didn’t do your due diligence prior to matriculation, that is absolutely NOT the school’s fault.

Reactions: 5 users
They make it pretty clear on their website and across the various internets. If you didn’t do your due diligence prior to matriculation, that is absolutely NOT the school’s fault.
As a gay atheist who enjoys the occasional alcoholic beverage, should I apply to this school? /s

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
By their standards, you would give one helluva “diversity of thought” essay.
I looked at their secondary questions out of curiosity. They are basically all "how much do you love Jesus?" My app would get thrown in the trash so quickly.

• Haha
Not sure why you're getting heated about this. I clearly stated that this was not a complaint and therefore was not blaming anyone. Maybe you should have done your due diligence to try and understand what I wrote before you commented.

I looked at their secondary questions out of curiosity. They are basically all "how much do you love Jesus?" My app would get thrown in the trash so quickly.
Suffice to say my experience with Jesus was exclusively in the teenage years, and it would yield less of a “thrown in the trash” and more of a “lit on fire and put out with holy water.” So I am right there with you.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
What I don’t get about this rant is that you knew about these rules before going to the school. I even knew these things and I didn’t even apply or look at the schools website. Also I’m really curious as to how they would even know that you’re having sex or drinking. What are they going to do? Hook you up to a polygraph lmao. Hidden cameras?

Not sure why you're getting heated about this. I clearly stated that this was not a complaint and therefore was not blaming anyone. Maybe you should have done your due diligence to try and understand what I wrote before you commented.

You are warning students about something that you didn’t know (but should have known) and you dislike. Whether you want to call it a complaint or not is a matter of semantics. The intent and message is the same.

Reactions: 2 users
Now don’t get me wrong I am a religious person and am not trashing the school for having rules like this. I just don’t agree with how it is enforced. In my opinion forgiveness is the central tenet not being kicked out of the school

Reactions: 3 users
You are warning students about something that you didn’t know (but should have known) and you dislike. Whether you want to call it a complaint or not is a matter of semantics. The intent and message is the same.
Where did I state that I didn't know about the policy and that I disliked it? I actually knew about it because I am Adventist and I practice those principles in my life. I think you're just mad that you were incorrect in your assumptions about what I said. Nice try though!

Where did I state that I didn't know about the policy and that I disliked it? I actually knew about it because I am Adventist and I practice those principles in my life. I think you're just mad that you were incorrect in your assumptions about what I said. Nice try though!
The entire point of your post is that people should not apply to Loma Linda and the religious aspects are cited as warnings - the intent in message is quite present despite absence of direct verbiage. I am not mad and hold no ill will. Just pointing out that warning students of something they should know before they apply is really counter productive.

But why would you make a whole post about why people should not apply there and cite these principles as one of the reasons if you agree with these principles?

But why would you make a whole post about why people should not apply there and cite these principles as one of the reasons if you agree with these principles?
Because there are individuals who do not know about it. I've had many people ask me if this was true or not in the past. I've also seen people who were surprised that they had to sign a contract that prohibited them from doing those things to point where they could be dismissed for it.

Reactions: 1 user
What I don’t get about this rant is that you knew about these rules before going to the school. I even knew these things and I didn’t even apply or look at the schools website. Also I’m really curious as to how they would even know that you’re having sex or drinking. What are they going to do? Hook you up to a polygraph lmao. Hidden cameras?

You do a walk of shame in the morning reeking of beer and see where it gets you at Loma Linda.

• Haha
The entire point of your post is that people should not apply to Loma Linda and the religious aspects are cited as warnings - the intent in message is quite present despite absence of direct verbiage. I am not mad and hold no ill will. Just pointing out that warning students of something they should know before they apply is really counter productive.
I understand what you're saying. However, it is not common knowledge that you could be dismissed at Loma Linda for drinking at your house or in private. There are many who have asked me about this and that information was specifically for people who do not know this. I should have been more specific about that. That is why I did not see this as a counter productive point.

This whole thread is very confusing. The entire point - the title - states not to apply to Loma Linda which implies you dislike the rules you must follow.

You have no choice but to take religion courses along with basic sciences and are required to go to chapel.

This tone implies distaste. If you're going to bash your own school and cite the many reasons you want others to avoid it all costs at least own it.. how do you expect to then 180 and claim you're not complaining at all, subscribe to these principles of your school, but are just "warning" others? Completely contradictory. If you're not complaining nor have distaste for the incarcerating aspects of this school (of which is public knowledge and still voluntary to attend), then I'm not sure what the point of all this is.

That’s progress according to some people. Underwear companies can’t market to who they want anymore without being called discriminatory.

Are female students here more eager to get married and therefore have lower standards? Asking for a friend

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
calipremed is a hero, never fails to brighten anyone's day

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Been married 5 years now...if you are getting married for your needs, I am going to have to give you some bad news...

That’s why I’m applying exclusively Mormon schools

• Haha
I can see where a Loma Linda student who is Adventist might have heard non-religious classmates complain about mandatory chapel, prohibitions on premarital sex and other rules, etc and might not dislike the rules or find them difficult but feel that others should be warned that those rules exist.

To me, the old fashion curriculum would be more of a problem than the old fashioned code of conduct and I see where the OP is coming from.

Reactions: 7 users
This whole thread is very confusing. The entire point - the title - states not to apply to Loma Linda which implies you dislike the rules you must follow.

This tone implies distaste. If you're going to bash your own school and cite the many reasons you want others to avoid it all costs at least own it.. how do you expect to then 180 and claim you're not complaining at all, subscribe to these principles of your school, but are just "warning" others? Completely contradictory. If you're not complaining nor have distaste for the incarcerating aspects of this school (of which is public knowledge and still voluntary to attend), then I'm not sure what the point of all this is.
I can see how this is confusing to you and others. The point about drinking was not intended to be a personal dislike for the Adventist principle itself. I agree that I should have been more specific on that point and expanded upon it. To be clear, I don't agree with the fact that the school can dismiss you for drinking in your own home or off-campus. It is understandable if you are doing it on-campus and in areas that are legally affiliated with the school. What I "subscribe" to is the policy being a guideline for students to better fit the mission and school's philosophy. Not something you should be dismissed for.

Even if somebody didn’t know about these rules before, they certainly would learn about them during the tour. Of course then you have to ensure your interview performance is awful so you don’t have to risk turning down an MD acceptance. I don’t even vape but will be sure to have a juul in my suit pocket during interviews at schools where I’m skeptical about being happy at for this very reason

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Even if somebody didn’t know about these rules before, they certainly would learn about them during the tour. Of course then you have to ensure your interview performance is awful so you don’t have to risk turning down an MD acceptance. I don’t even vape but will be sure to have a juul in my suit pocket during interviews at schools where I’m skeptical about being happy at for this very reason

Don't waste the committee's time. Don't take a chance. Log onto your AMCAS application and withdraw your application before you even leave the building after the interview. :smuggrin:

• Haha
Wouldn’t that withdraw you from consideration at all schools though?

• Haha
OK, so how do you withdraw from just one school? There has to be a way to do it before a decision comes out.
Almost every secondary application has the option. Accidentally clicked it once. Not a good feeling, thankfully there was a confirmation box....

Status
Not open for further replies.