Wife's new eyeglass prescription ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sphagmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife is 46 and nearsighted. She had her eyes examined and came out with a prescription:

right eye: -7.75 Sphere ......... Cylinder: spn
left eye: -9.00 Sphere ........... Cylinder: spn

She was way overdue for a new pair of eyeglassess, and I suppose she went almost 20 years with her old pair.

She tried the new pair on and said she sees 'distance' crisp and well. But when she went to her computer she complained that fonts on the screen were blurry. She can see close up print fine with her 'old' eyeglasses, though. Now, she is upset because she thinks the prescription is wrong.

I don't know anything about eyeglasses, but I surmised that there probably is an adjustment period and asked her not to be too hasty about doubting her prescription. She wants to go back and forth now ... using her old eyeglasses for reading and the new ones for distance. I don't like this idea.

What are your thoughts? Is it common to have a prescription ground wrong? Should she give it a couple of days wearing her new eyeglasses full time? Thanks for any information rendered.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there no Add written into the prescription? It might look like a +2.00 or +2.50 after the main prescription.

I'm not a doctor, but as an optician I can recommend that she try to wear her new glasses as much as possible. Like, when she wakes up in the morning, she needs to put on her new glasses first thing and put the old ones in a drawer where she won't even think to touch them. If after say...a week or so she is still having major difficulties and ISN'T seeing improvement with each day, it may be a good idea to go back to your doctor and have them do a prescription check. But only after giving her eyes a fair chance to try to adjust to the new Rx. This service should be offered for free.

Prescriptions can definitely sometimes be off. If the patient tested first thing in the morning, she may have refracted better than she otherwise would. Or if she tested at the end of the day, her eyes may have been tired. Either of these things could affect whether 1 is really clearer than 2. So please tell your wife to give them a try, but that if they are truly not working out after she really tried them, that it's okay to go back to the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.