Wife's questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmick101

Kung Fu DDS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is actually Jmick's wife but I thought that this would be a good place to get answers to questions that I have.
Here's the situation:
Since my husband attends Pacific, is is not able to do the Army's 6 week OBLC between school years as he is only on a summer break for four weeks. So he has to attend it after he graduates. I have been told that this training is 11 weeks long.
He would like to do an AEGD but misses the window of opportunity for starting one that year. I assume from what I read on SDN that he will be a general dentist for a few months and then go on to the AEGD, if accepted.
My questions are:
1. Is OBLC something we (the kids and I) can accompany him to or do I move to the first duty station without him?
2. I read on the AMEDD OBLC website that the training was 7 weeks. Did they change it or am I reading it wrong? (That's quite possible since there is so much Army jargon in those kinds of things)
3. Can we request that our first duty station be at a particular base that has the AEGD program he wants so that we only have to move once? I'd like my son's schooling to be as stable as possible in the first few years (he'll just be turning 5).
Any information from others who have been through this transitional time with a family would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

#1: From what I have seen during my OBC in 02', he will be placed in a BOQ or a hotel room if BOQ rooms are full. Some of my friends did bring their family but it was not recommended.
#2: Usually the Army OBC residence course is about 7 weeks in duration along with 2 weeks of additional army dental orientation, for a total of about 9 weeks. People who could not do the 6 weeks of OBC during the summer time did their OBC training after graduation.
#3: I believe there are only 3 location for a 2 year AGDE Residency... Hawaii, Fort Hood (TX), and Fort Benning (GA). At that point it is really up to the need of the service and his career manager, However, most of the time, they are very willing to work with your family... make sure that your husband informs his career manager of his requests.