Wilderness Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about wilderness medicine? I know that it's a fellowship you can do if you're board-certified/eligible EM... but do you guys know what you would do with that fellowship? Jobs/opprotunities?

Thanks! :)

Quid

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty interested in WM, as are lots of people in EM. Seems like for the most part, it is just an interesting aside/professional hobby more than a career opportunity. I think there ARE some people who get paid for it (nat'l parks, basecamps, etc.) but not too many. As far as fellowships go, again from what I can gather looks more to be just interesting than directly lucrative. Of course, Im sure that being involved in a fellowship program would make it easier to make the right contacts.

stanford has a EM fellowship in WM as well as faculty that are renowned for their WM work.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey - looking over the shoulder of my jr resident who was reading this thread. my name's Grant and I'm a starting the Fellowship at Stanford in wilderness medince this august. to answer a couple thoughts: it is a chance to dive into teaching, clinical and apllied research, and travel. 2 months of the fellowship you're expected to get into the backcountry somewhere in the world and do wilderness medicine/research . furthermore, Stanford is a hotbed for all the founders of the movement, and they're an amazing resource to get inspired, bounce ideas off of, and of course -make connections.
do you need the fellwoship? no. i think there is a huge field out there where you can get into expedition medicine as a trip doc, hang out on the lecture circuit, or give medical advice....it is all easier with a fellowship training under yuor belt.
end of the day. wilderness medicine is not a lucrative career choice. rather, it is a chance to combine your passion for the outdoors with your career and keep psyched and hang out with fun people. go to www.WMS.org go to a meeting, membership, or get involved.
Grant

I'm going to be starting MS 1 at Marshall University in Huntington, WV this year and I believe we have some kind of Wilderness Medicine program of study. I don't think there's a fellowship, but I'm pretty sure we have a clerkship. This isn't helpful for people who are ready to apply to residency, but for those living on the east coast it provides at least a place to do a visiting rotation.

I know that there is a monthly meeting of Huntington clinicians and academians who discuss Wilderness Medicine. I think there's an even more structured program for residents who are interested in perhaps an emphasis in WM...but like I said, I don't think there's a real fellowship.

musom.marshall.edu if you're interested in more info...

kungfufishing said:
Im pretty interested in WM, as are lots of people in EM. Seems like for the most part, it is just an interesting aside/professional hobby more than a career opportunity. I think there ARE some people who get paid for it (nat'l parks, basecamps, etc.) but not too many. As far as fellowships go, again from what I can gather looks more to be just interesting than directly lucrative. Of course, Im sure that being involved in a fellowship program would make it easier to make the right contacts.

kungfu has made it his mission in life to seduce a sasquatch. that's his *real* reason for being interested in wilderness medicine.

from the looks of you, at least one of your parents already achieved my goal...