Wilderness Medicine?

Started by quideam
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know anything about wilderness medicine? I know that it's a fellowship you can do if you're board-certified/eligible EM... but do you guys know what you would do with that fellowship? Jobs/opprotunities?

Thanks! 🙂

Quid
 
Im pretty interested in WM, as are lots of people in EM. Seems like for the most part, it is just an interesting aside/professional hobby more than a career opportunity. I think there ARE some people who get paid for it (nat'l parks, basecamps, etc.) but not too many. As far as fellowships go, again from what I can gather looks more to be just interesting than directly lucrative. Of course, Im sure that being involved in a fellowship program would make it easier to make the right contacts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey - looking over the shoulder of my jr resident who was reading this thread. my name's Grant and I'm a starting the Fellowship at Stanford in wilderness medince this august. to answer a couple thoughts: it is a chance to dive into teaching, clinical and apllied research, and travel. 2 months of the fellowship you're expected to get into the backcountry somewhere in the world and do wilderness medicine/research . furthermore, Stanford is a hotbed for all the founders of the movement, and they're an amazing resource to get inspired, bounce ideas off of, and of course -make connections.
do you need the fellwoship? no. i think there is a huge field out there where you can get into expedition medicine as a trip doc, hang out on the lecture circuit, or give medical advice....it is all easier with a fellowship training under yuor belt.
end of the day. wilderness medicine is not a lucrative career choice. rather, it is a chance to combine your passion for the outdoors with your career and keep psyched and hang out with fun people. go to www.WMS.org go to a meeting, membership, or get involved.
Grant
 
I'm going to be starting MS 1 at Marshall University in Huntington, WV this year and I believe we have some kind of Wilderness Medicine program of study. I don't think there's a fellowship, but I'm pretty sure we have a clerkship. This isn't helpful for people who are ready to apply to residency, but for those living on the east coast it provides at least a place to do a visiting rotation.

I know that there is a monthly meeting of Huntington clinicians and academians who discuss Wilderness Medicine. I think there's an even more structured program for residents who are interested in perhaps an emphasis in WM...but like I said, I don't think there's a real fellowship.

musom.marshall.edu if you're interested in more info...
 
kungfufishing said:
Im pretty interested in WM, as are lots of people in EM. Seems like for the most part, it is just an interesting aside/professional hobby more than a career opportunity. I think there ARE some people who get paid for it (nat'l parks, basecamps, etc.) but not too many. As far as fellowships go, again from what I can gather looks more to be just interesting than directly lucrative. Of course, Im sure that being involved in a fellowship program would make it easier to make the right contacts.

kungfu has made it his mission in life to seduce a sasquatch. that's his *real* reason for being interested in wilderness medicine.
 
from the looks of you, at least one of your parents already achieved my goal...