Will A DUI on my record stop me from having a career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulKing

pking1980
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in the pharmacy field.

I'm new to this and I know I have a DUI i obtained in 2002 that comes up on my criminal record.

I'm from Riverside California and I want to know if i'll even be eligible to be a pharamcist if I have this on my record before I start school

also i'm trying to go the cheapest route possible to get educated on the field and was curious if these classes at my local community college would be of any validity.

somebody please help me out.

http://www.rcc.edu/programs/certificate_details.cfm?code=111

http://www.rcc.edu/programs/certificate_details.cfm?code=112

could someone answer the first question and then click these links and tell me if I were to enroll in these classes and take them through the year 2008 and somehow intern somewhere could I possibly be in the field by the end of next year.

Or do I have to get schooling elsewhere.

someone please give me some insight it'd be highly appreciated.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about the DUI charge because I'm just a pre-pharmacy major myself, but I can tell you that those certificate programs will not help you in the pharmacy field. You need to check the pharmacy program you want to enter, get their prerequisites and then find out if your cc has those classes that transfers over to the pharmacy program.

You need to be taking biology, chemistry, economics, english and so forth. All of these can be taken at the community college.

Here is a sample prerequisite list for Xavier University the school I am applying to....other schools have similar requirements again check
with the school you want to attend.

http://www.xula.edu/pharmacy/saforms/Pre-PharmRequirementsForm-9-10-07.pdf

HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
really?

how about this program at Chaffey College? I've been told by current pharamacy technicians that you need to get licensed, and get work experience and then you'll gradually move up. But that the schooling or where you graduated from isn't that important it's more about what you know and/or who you know.

but I'm looking to work at you basic grocery store/cvs/walgreens setting.. nothing major.

do you think this would be a beneficial program then?

how bout this one?

http://www.mariccollege.edu/maricco...tudy/HealthCare/PharmacyTechnicianDiploma.htm

we also have a college called Chaffey in Ontario. I'd really rather avoid the trade school route because it costs so much money.

how about this program at Chaffey College? I've been told by current pharamacy technicians that you need to get licensed, and get work experience and then you'll gradually move up. But that the schooling or where you graduated from isn't that important it's more about what you know and/or who you know.

wow i don't know why that pharmacy technician would tell you that. Are you sure you want to become a pharmacist not a pharmacy technician? there's a big difference and no matter how many years you work as a technician you don't just get promoted to a pharmacist w/out going to years of school first..! if only :laugh:

i'm sorry michelle. I don't mean pharmacist.

right now i'm only looking to be a pharmacy technician. and i'm actually only looking for the minimal schooling to be eligible.

I want to get into the field further down the line but I want to just be a P.T. for right now and I am just looking for a little advice.

any advice on being a Pharmacy Technician would be appreciated.

all you have to do is study for the pharmtech exam, pass it, and you're a pharmtech

it's that easy?

no schooling necessary?.. what books exactly would I need to better help me pass the exam?

is it a situation where I pass the exam, and then apply at local pharmacies? I can't believe i'm getting so much positive feedback. I've been asking around and nobody wants to talk about it.

I thank you all.

It all depends, you see all the commercials for pharmacy technician school but at the same time you can buy some cheap pharm tech exam prep book off amazon, practice conversions and a few other topics and go take the test, then you are a pharm tech. Many stores will train you at the store after they hire you once you have your license.
Personally I wouldn't waste time or money on all those classes, learn on the job site instead.

what do you have to know to get your license though?

what books would I need to study to get my license and you can't hired anywhere unless you have your license right?

www.ptcb.org is the website to get licensed as a Certified Pharmacy Technician.
When I became certified I had 0 experience in pharmacy before, I used this book --> http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacy-Tech...5886019?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193796643&sr=8-2

and I also bought index card with the 100 most common drugs in the US, along with some simple math calculations and got 85% in the test. That was, by purely reading the book. I encourage you however, to memorize and understand as much as possible. Drug names and what they're for are a must! Including vitamins!

Good luck! :)

wow stevie.

that's awesome.

so is that somewhat of a pre-requisite to being in the pharmacist field with classes available at my local cc?

it appears so.

thanks for the info. any other info would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

those are the prereqs for pharm school admission.

Although you can get a tech license if u pass ptcb, it's very hard to find a job without school training. People who find the jobs without going to school for it usually have college education in other areas. But, u can look into it as well. I'd recommend finding a community college Pharm Tech program because they are cheap.

Walgreens and CVS are always hiring ... you might get a crapy salary at first, but after 6 months-1 year things will start to get better.

thanks for all the info.

i'm starting to get it now. Chaffey College in a local city has a pharmacy technician program that I imagine isn't as expensive as one of the programs one of these trade schools offer.

I think that's the route I'm going to go.

One thing i'm really worried about is my dui being a reason to get denied for my license when I apply.

anyone know anybody who's recieved their license with a DUI or have recieved one themselves.

thanks for all the info.

thanks for all the info.

i'm starting to get it now. Chaffey College in a local city has a pharmacy technician program that I imagine isn't as expensive as one of the programs one of these trade schools offer.

I think that's the route I'm going to go.

One thing i'm really worried about is my dui being a reason to get denied for my license when I apply.

anyone know anybody who's recieved their license with a DUI or have recieved one themselves.

thanks for all the info.

Google California board of pharmacy. they have phone number, call them and ask urself.

I'm a CA pharmacy technician....

Step 1) Sign up and take the PTCE
Step 2) Study for 1-2 hours before the test, take the test
Step 3) Fill out California Pharmacy Technician form, get fingerprints done (~$50), pay $50 fee.
Step 4) Wait and get licensed.

It's seriously a joke, that easy.

P.S. DUI shouldn't necessarily exclude you, plus it happened 5 years ago. A simple explanation should be fine.