Will adcom care about the bad grade explanation? Should I give up? Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.CinnamonRoll

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior at michigan state Uni, (grades are calculated by 4(A), 3.5(AB), 3(B), 2.5(BC), etc).
Basically, after my terrible freshman year (that I got a 2.8), I've been on an upward trend towards the 3.31c GPA that I have now (I know, still bad but I was hoping I could raise it to a 3.4~ish by the time I apply for class of 2019). But a few hours ago, I got the results from my final for my genetics class, and I BOMBED IT (65%). like, the worst exam that i've ever taken.

The reason I bombed it was because my alarm didn't go off (i didn't realize that my charger wasn't plugged in and my phone died), so I came to my exam 30 mins late, and could barely finish half. The parts I did finish, I half-assed it to get through as much as I could.

according to my calculations, this will put me at a 2.5(BC) grade for that class. This sucks because if I had gotten at least a 3, it would've been the first time I got above a 3.5 in college (i repeatedly hit the 3.4 every semester).

Will they care about my explanation? Will they look down on me for having made such a stupid mistake? I've never gotten below a 3 grade letter(B) after freshman year, and I'm feeling pretty depressed to a point where I am even considering dropping pre-dent...even though I wouldn't know what to do with my life. I mean, maybe I'm not good enough to be a dentist. Imagine if I slept in for a big procedure, or forgot to pay bills lol....

not to mention that my academic situation isn't the best...If I had a 3.5+ and got this grade in earlier semesters, it could've been different, but as a rising senior with a year left of classes and a 3.3c and 3.29 sGPA (for now), I'm not sure if any school will want me.

I have this summer to take the DAT. I got into a high tier research lab. I'm part of many clubs, have alot of hours, got a Job as a STEM mentor... but what's the point if I don't have the grades?...

Thanks for reading. If I do quit, I want you all to know that You've helped me alot with these forums and such, even If I didn't make an account until today.

:')

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tough situation, but no reason to give up. Your ECs look good (Do you have volunteering and shadowing?) Really, you should focus a lot on studying and making the 4 even the 4+ (If that's possible ;)) Yous should crack down and let nothing get in the way of your studies. If you have a really good DAT, like 21-22+, and you apply broadly to 15+ schools, you probably will get some interviews.
I've never had to deal with your kind of situation as throughout my academic career, I have kept a 3.7+ GPA, but there is absolutely no reason you should completely give up. Take a gap year if you want! Get very good ECs, possibly retake some classes and study hard for the DAT.
Nothing's stopping you. Put in some hard work, and you will be living your dream in no time! :thumbup:
Good Luck! :)

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply Fyz. As a depresssed student, your words are definitely making me feel a little better...
Do you think that a year of hell could make up for this? I can't say I have an upward trend anymore because my 2017 spring term cGPA will be 3.29 with that class, and it actually does a surprising amount of damage to my sGPA. (a 3.29 to a 3.19 fml)..I'm not sure a DAT could make up for that..

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough situation, but no reason to give up. Your ECs look good (Do you have volunteering and shadowing?) Really, you should focus a lot on studying and making the 4 even the 4+ (If that's possible ;)) Yous should crack down and let nothing get in the way of your studies. If you have a really good DAT, like 21-22+, and you apply broadly to 15+ schools, you probably will get some interviews.
I've never had to deal with your kind of situation as throughout my academic career, I have kept a 3.7+ GPA, but there is absolutely no reason you should completely give up. Take a gap year if you want! Get very good ECs, possibly retake some classes and study hard for the DAT.
Nothing's stopping you. Put in some hard work, and you will be living your dream in no time! :thumbup:
Good Luck! :)

-Fyz

Thanks for the reply Fyz. As a depresssed student, your words are definitely making me feel a little better...
Do you think that a year of hell could make up for this? I can't say I have an upward trend anymore because my 2017 spring term cGPA will be 3.29 with that class, and it actually does a surprising amount of damage to my sGPA. (a 3.29 to a 3.19 fml)..I'm not sure a DAT could make up for that..

You still have a chance! Fellow Spartan here who wasn't in the exact same situation, but something similar. I got my sGPA up by making sure I got all 4.0s my senior year and even stayed at MSU for a 5th year. I took on the pharmacology and toxicology minor so I was able to take extra science classes and got 4.0s in every pharm and tox class. This fall I began the BMS program at Wayne State to beef up my application in case I didn't get in this cycle. (My first time applying.) It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it since I receive multiple interviews this cycle and will be a D1 this summer.

You don't need to give up! Just know that it will be a lot of hard work, but you can do it. Make sure you pick your professors wisely at MSU and kill the DAT. Also, volunteer at the low income clinic in lansing to add some shadowing and volunteer hours. You got this!

You still have a chance! Fellow Spartan here who wasn't in the exact same situation, but something similar. I got my sGPA up by making sure I got all 4.0s my senior year and even stayed at MSU for a 5th year. I took on the pharmacology and toxicology minor so I was able to take extra science classes and got 4.0s in every pharm and tox class. This fall I began the BMS program at Wayne State to beef up my application in case I didn't get in this cycle. (My first time applying.) It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it since I receive multiple interviews this cycle and will be a D1 this summer.

You don't need to give up! Just know that it will be a lot of hard work, but you can do it. Make sure you pick your professors wisely at MSU and kill the DAT. Also, volunteer at the low income clinic in lansing to add some shadowing and volunteer hours. You got this!

GO GREEN! thank you so much for your words!
ALSO, could you please tell me more about the low income clinic?!?!

actually, i will pm you about that!

Not fully, but partially. With some endless nights of studying and finishing work, I believe you could get your sGPA up to a 3.4+. If one test can amount to 0.1 change, you can surely do so in the other direction. If you are determined to get to dental school immediately after undergrad, you're going to have to work your butt off every day and every night. Certainly don't rule out taking a gap year. Most all times it is beneficial to your grades, DAT and ECs.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me! :)

-Fyz

For what it is worth, I told the school I got a W cause i simply just didn't take the class seriously due to it being an online course. BUT and a big BUT. You must explain what you learned from the experience. I learned, to never underestimate a course regardless if it is online or in person.

Result: Accepted

Life does happen, and i would take the time to explain it. One bad grade is not the end of the world. I am sure thousands of pre-dents got a bad grade or two in their undergrad courses.

You're fine. I wouldn't mention that you overslept for a final though. It shows that you aren't ready for dental school.