Will failing a class kills my chances for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverInBloom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a freshman in college and I think I'm going to fail my chemistry class. Some of the concepts seem hard, and when I look at my roommates exam, whom has a different professor, I understand the material they're covering but feel lost in the stuff that's covered in my class.

I understand that I can't place the blame on the professor or rigor of class, but on myself for not doing anything. I've just gotten the grasp of this and learned my lesson all too late.

Will a failed course deteriorate my chances for medical school?

Please be honest, for I am freaking out.

Thank you for responding.

Members don't see this ad.

No it won't. You can re-take the course and your failing grade will be replaced with the new one on AACOMAS (D.O. application service). :)

Retake it. I'm retaking most of my fails. there is only 1 I can't retake it because it was only available at my old university. I goofed off my first 2 years at school..reason for the fails.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have an upward tend you will be fine. You are early in your undergrad career and have time to make up for it. I did terrible my first semester but maintained high grades from then on and have 2 acceptances already. Just make sure you move on an do better. Good luck!

As others are saying, don't fret too much about one class. Just make sure you retake and do well. I failed upper level science courses 3 times (twice in the same class) in my junior year, and I didn't do too hot on my retakes. I've managed an acceptance and a couple WL's so far this year.

I had a couple failed classes my first year. Easily explained if your following semesters are way better. I had no problem explaining it in my 1 interview that they asked about it (the rest didn't even ask) and they didn't seem to care because I've maintained a 3.6 GPA every year since then. My best friend already has his bachelors and has just been finishing pre-reqs. He failed O-chem 1 twice in a row, then barely passed it in the Spring. NSU-COM put him on the waitlist post-interview ONLY because of this.

So the lesson learned is, they don't care much if they see a few bad grades a few years ago. They do care if they see them in current grades around the time you're applying.

Chances are that you'll be curved up to a C. But even then consider retaking it.

You will be fine. Just make sure you do well on the re-take it.

Retake it and you are good. I failed one class and I retook it, Igot accepted back in september.

No, just re-take it and do better next time. There's no law that says you have to apply to Harvard.

Hello, I am a freshman in college and I think I'm going to fail my chemistry class. Some of the concepts seem hard, and when I look at my roommates exam, whom has a different professor, I understand the material they're covering but feel lost in the stuff that's covered in my class.

I understand that I can't place the blame on the professor or rigor of class, but on myself for not doing anything. I've just gotten the grasp of this and learned my lesson all too late.

Will a failed course deteriorate my chances for medical school?

Please be honest, for I am freaking out.

Thank you for responding.