Will I Stay Alive Through This?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VicodinMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the last year of high school (Graduating in '11) and am part of a research program at a local university, which I intend to attend. I'm thinking of majoring in Biochem and minoring in European History while continuing my research and my volunteer work.

I was also recently considering simultaneously doing a surgical tech program at my local community college while juggling my other courses and trying to keep up a high GPA.

Is this feasible guys? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a bad idea. Keep doing what you're doing. Don't overload yourself. You'll burn out before you know it. Keep doing research, volunteering, and keep your GPA up. You're already ahead of the curve coming into college with a research position.

Also, go out and have fun.

what? will you be able to 'survive' one major, one minor, a few cool extracurricular activities? i sure hope so.

Members don't see this ad :)
what? will you be able to 'survive' one major, one minor, a few cool extracurricular activities? i sure hope so.

Gotta agree with this.

Better get used to time management now. You will have less time in med school.

You should be able to take a full course load and get decent grades, spend 10-20 hours (really more but this would be the minimum) doing something non-school - community service, employment, tech program, and still enjoy your college experience :)

The one thing I would say is if you're moving away from home you may want to wait one semester/quarter to adjust to college life before jumping on the tech program. Just to see how you handle yourself. Not at all necessary but if you worry about learning to live away from home its not a bad idea.

Haha. Well thanks for the advice guys. I was worried because I know a bunch of people who went the pre-med route but failed to get into med school because they didn't have decent MCAT scores or GPAs or ECs. Most of them now live with their parents and can't get jobs. That's why I want to plan everything out for college so that I don't get screwed over.

I wanted to ask the people here about my college plans because I've heard it's really though to get a high GPA in biochem, especially for the med school application process. And on top of that, the surgical technician course at my local community college is a 15 credit hour per week course which would last about 15 months. So I don't want to mess up my GPA by doing both.

I'm going to follow alwaysangel's advice and not join the surgical tech course until after my first semester in college.

Haha. Well thanks for the advice guys. I was worried because I know a bunch of people who went the pre-med route but failed to get into med school because they didn't have decent MCAT scores or GPAs or ECs. Most of them now live with their parents and can't get jobs. That's why I want to plan everything out for college so that I don't get screwed over.

I wanted to ask the people here about my college plans because I've heard it's really though to get a high GPA in biochem, especially for the med school application process. And on top of that, the surgical technician course at my local community college is a 15 credit hour per week course which would last about 15 months. So I don't want to mess up my GPA by doing both.

I'm going to follow alwaysangel's advice and not join the surgical tech course until after my first semester in college.

How would you even be able to fit the surgical tech program into your academic course schedule? That doesn't even seem like it would be possible. And for your first semester of college, I would recommend that you do NOT overload on anything. This allows for an easier transition.

None of us live through this. We all die at end. :eek: