Will I still get V.A. benefits in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father is a veteran so I get a check every month I'm in school.

Will this continue in med school?

It's NOT the post-911 GI-Bill. It's under a chapter.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Chapter dependencies usually run out at age 24. You are ultimately going to want to contact the Department of Veteran Affairs, there should be a national phone number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I didn't know that about the chapters. I only knew that the insurance usually stops at age 26.

And I know all about the national number, I stay calling them about my money LOL.

Thanks, I didn't know that about the chapters. I only knew that the insurance usually stops at age 26.

And I know all about the national number, I stay calling them about my money LOL.

If the insurance runs out at 26, then the benefits may run until 26 as well. However, I believe they only offer support for a set amount of credit hours (Usually the equivalent of full-time for 4 years).

Yes, you're covered as long as you are in school up until age 26. You get less coverage if you are less than full time, but are still covered some.

post 9-11 is actually under a chapter. It's called chapter 33 and from my knowledge is the only one that allows you to transfer your benefits to your dependents. It does in fact allow you to pay for medical school and once again from understanding the limitations are the 15 years from EAS and the 36 consecutive months of full-time enrollment. Besides that you should be good. So if they have paid for 30 months of undergrad you only have 6 months for medical school. I hope this helps but I agree that you should definitely call the VA to clear things up the problem is that sometimes they are more confusing and create more problems. This new benefit is still knew and people are still trying to figure all the little knooks and crannies.