Will Positive Drug Test for Opiates Reflect Negatively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligirly1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applying for my first hospital job as a pharmacist. I've never done illegal drugs, etc., even marijuana. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and I do take 2-3 Tramadol a day plus a Norco 5 mg about 1-2 times a week. Should I pre-emptively explain this to my potential employer when I am asked to do a drug test? (In the telephone interview they asked me if I would be willing to submit to a drug test). Does it reflect badly that I am on opiates? To be honest, I would LOVE to not be reliant on medication, but unfortunately that was not the hand I was dealt. I only get severe pain in my hands/elbows, but since you have to use your hands for well, most of everything, I have to take something to counteract the pain. I have the prescriptions for these drugs; I am well monitored with my doctors, etc; I do yoga, I'm on Enbrel and Plaquenil too... How do I handle this so that my prospective employer(s) will not think I am addicted to painkillers or that I am a liability? I want to ensure they know I am a highly motivated and driven person that is not defined by my chronic illness but that I take these medications so that I am able to function like a normal person. Any advice given is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am applying for my first hospital job as a pharmacist. I've never done illegal drugs, etc., even marijuana. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and I do take 2-3 Tramadol a day plus a Norco 5 mg about 1-2 times a week. Should I pre-emptively explain this to my potential employer when I am asked to do a drug test? (In the telephone interview they asked me if I would be willing to submit to a drug test). Does it reflect badly that I am on opiates? To be honest, I would LOVE to not be reliant on medication, but unfortunately that was not the hand I was dealt. I only get severe pain in my hands/elbows, but since you have to use your hands for well, most of everything, I have to take something to counteract the pain. I have the prescriptions for these drugs; I am well monitored with my doctors, etc; I do yoga, I'm on Enbrel and Plaquenil too... How do I handle this so that my prospective employer(s) will not think I am addicted to painkillers or that I am a liability? I want to ensure they know I am a highly motivated and driven person that is not defined by my chronic illness but that I take these medications so that I am able to function like a normal person. Any advice given is much appreciated.

All you will have to do is bring copies of valid prescriptions for all your meds. When I got my job as a hospital tech I had JUST had dental work done and was prescribed norco. I told them what they would find in my screen and I brought a copy of my Rx and they submitted it along with my drug screen results. You just don't want anything not documented or anything illegal on your test.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My drug screen was done by employee health. I think it depends on the hospital system.

No, do not mention it to your employer. I have Crohn's disease and would take maybe 4 or so hydrocodone per month (before my resection) when my stomach would hurt. At one point, I was drug tested during this period. The tests are done by an independent entity, and these people will contact you and ask why you are taking and will have you simply fax a record of the Rx, and will report back that it was a clean test. Your employer won't know.

My drug screen was done by employee health. I think it depends on the hospital system.

Even so, I would think they will not report these things to your boss so long as it's legitimate.

Your employer contracts with a company such as Labcorp to do the drug test. If you come up positive Labcorp will call you to discuss the results. If you are legally taking the medication they will get all the information and call the pharmacy where you got it to verify. They do it on a 3 way call so you can verbally tell the pharmacy it is okay to release the info. If everything checks out they will report to your employer that your drug screen was negative since you are legally taking the medication.

Even if employee health collects the drug screen they still send it off to get tested.

Do not say a word to your employer...it is none of thier business.