Will postdoc in Canada cause trouble for licensure in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blamblam

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My partner is applying for a job in Vancouver. If I do postdoc in Canada would the hours count toward licensure in the US? I know this may vary by state but I was hoping to find some sort of general guidelines or hear some anecdotes.

Also, any suggestions for post-docs in or around Vancouver would be much appreciated! I'm on internship at a university counseling center and have VA experience. Hoping to start my career in a UCC and transition into private practice.

Many thanks!
 
My partner is applying for a job in Vancouver. If I do postdoc in Canada would the hours count toward licensure in the US? I know this may vary by state but I was hoping to find some sort of general guidelines or hear some anecdotes.

Also, any suggestions for post-docs in or around Vancouver would be much appreciated! I'm on internship at a university counseling center and have VA experience. Hoping to start my career in a UCC and transition into private practice.

Many thanks!

Good question. You'll need to check the licensure requirements state by state.

Obviously, one place to look for a postdoc would be UBC's counseling center. You might also check out Vancouver Coastal Health.