blamblam

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
My partner is applying for a job in Vancouver. If I do postdoc in Canada would the hours count toward licensure in the US? I know this may vary by state but I was hoping to find some sort of general guidelines or hear some anecdotes.

Also, any suggestions for post-docs in or around Vancouver would be much appreciated! I'm on internship at a university counseling center and have VA experience. Hoping to start my career in a UCC and transition into private practice.

Many thanks!

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
Psychologist
My partner is applying for a job in Vancouver. If I do postdoc in Canada would the hours count toward licensure in the US? I know this may vary by state but I was hoping to find some sort of general guidelines or hear some anecdotes.

Also, any suggestions for post-docs in or around Vancouver would be much appreciated! I'm on internship at a university counseling center and have VA experience. Hoping to start my career in a UCC and transition into private practice.

Many thanks!
Good question. You'll need to check the licensure requirements state by state.

Obviously, one place to look for a postdoc would be UBC's counseling center. You might also check out Vancouver Coastal Health.

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Psychologist
Agreed--you'll want to check with the individual state board. Some, for example, require that you be supervised by a psychologist licensed in that specific state.

madeincanada

7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2010
Status
Psychologist
As above, it is state (or province) dependent.

It can be difficult for someone who trained in the US to go to Canada and get licensed, so it is a bidirectional PITA.