Will taking all the science prereqs at a CC hurt my chances of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dick Martin LP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just graduated from a 4-year university with a 3.75 GPA and a B.S. in psychology. I have recently found an interest in dentistry and was looking to take all the science prerequisite classes at a community college. That being said, will taking those classes at a community college be frowned upon by dental schools? Also, if I apply to dental schools before I finish my prerequisites (but have them completed before dental school starts) would that also be something that is negatively viewed?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just graduated from a 4-year university with a 3.75 GPA and a B.S. in psychology. I have recently found an interest in dentistry and was looking to take all the science prerequisite classes at a community college. That being said, will taking those classes at a community college be frowned upon by dental schools? Also, if I apply to dental schools before I finish my prerequisites (but have them completed before dental school starts) would that also be something that is negatively viewed?

I agree, some schools even specify on their websites that they do not accept prereqs from CC. I would contact the admission office of your state and explain your situation/ask what they think. you need hours shadowing to apply too so you also have to consider that