Will the true Devil please stand up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryPharmD

Salt Miner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked with a new grad pharmacist at my rotation site, and we were talking about different companies. I mentioned Walgreens being the devil. She promptly corrected me and said that CVS is the devil. I asked why. Here's what she said:

No 1.5X overtime
14 hour days (I know not all stores make you do this, but she said that many do)
No sign on bonus

I realize that this only really applies to her taking into account the time she graduated and the market that she works in but it does make me think....

This pharmacist works for neither WAGs nor CVS

Members don't see this ad.

the no sign on bonus is false, everyone that I know that just graduated and signed with them got a nice bonus.

the 12-14 hours however are often true

and I believe the no overtime to be a company-wide truth

btw, they're both the devil

You're asking the people to differentiate between Mussolini's fascist regime and Hitler's Nazi Germany. They are both horrible for the profession, with patently disingenuous motives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Signing bonuses are location specific. An area of need will give you one, others will not. I worked with a pharmacist yesterday who took at 30k bonus when she graduated 2 years ago. After a year, she moved back to Florida. She is now paying back all 30k plus interest, even though she is still with Walgreens. The bonus required her to work in that area for 3 years.

One of my friends worked for CVS all through school. They gave her a 5k signing bonus for a one year committment. Walgreens offered their interns 15k with a three year committment. This is for the Tampa Bay area.

I asked for no signing bonus/no committment. I want to be free to leave a job at anytime, with no obligations to pay back money.

You're asking the people to differentiate between Mussolini's fascist regime and Hitler's Nazi Germany. They are both horrible for the profession, with patently disingenuous motives.

This is way off topic, but, okay, both bad... Though one directly resulted in and perpetrated 6 million+ murders.

Not the best example of indistinguishability, if your looking for a high level of such.

This is way off topic, but, okay, both bad... Though one directly resulted in and perpetrated 6 million+ murders.

Not the best example of indistinguishability, if your looking for a high level of such.

well, about those alleged 6m murders, I really think we need to investigate the matter further so we can know for sure...

oh and there are no gay people in Iran

Where is Old Timer!?!?!?! Come on buddy don't let me down!!! Start beating that CVS is awsome drum.

Quick, get me my drum.

I have been a pharmacist for 25 years. 19 years of Independent Community Practice with Nursing Home, Apothecary and Full Service Practice. The last six years have been with CVS.

Here is the real truth. Independent Pharmacy practice has it's good points and it's bad points. Unfortunately, most community practice is volume based. Since insurance has reduced reimbursement per prescription you need to fill more prescriptions to make the same money you used to make.

The secret to having a successful career in Chain Pharmacy is dependent on several factors:

Field Management: Unless you have a good District Manager, Pharmacy Supervisor and scheduler, you will be screwed. Does it matter if the CEO is great if your boss sticks it to you at every opportunity? I have been extremely lucky. I have had the same DM for all six years and he is very supportive of pharmacists. I've had several pharmacy supervisors and all have been good to me. If you read through the posts of people who had problems with CVS and Walgreens, you will see most of the problems are because field management did not support the pharmacists or place them in a position where they could excel.

Comfort Level: You have to find a store that is the best fit for your abilities. My district has 19 stores. Volume ranges from 800 per week up to 4500 per week. There are city stores and suburban stores. You have to be in a place where you can thrive. There are great pharmacists at 1500 per week that wilt at 2500 per week. It's field managements job to place you in a place where your abilities will come to the fore.

Commit to the Company: If you are just collecting a pay check, you are no good to your patients and no good for your company. That means trying to change those things that you see that are not right.
As for CVS:

Salary: Very competitive.
Sign on Bonus: Area dependent.
Hours: Flexible, at least in my area. There are stores that run with 14 hour days and stores that use split 7 hour shifts. The pharmacists in the store make their own schedule as long as the store is covered. The busier stores work every 3rd or 4th weekend as opposed to every other weekend.
Overtime: You get an extra six dollars per hour for all hours worked over 44 hours per week. State or local laws that mandate over-time will prevail over this policy.
Strength of Company: Financially CVS is a very strong company. They are poised to influence the entire health care system with the purchase of Caremark and Minute Clinics. They give stock options to Pharmacists. Those options paid for one year of college for my oldest daughter.
Professional Development: There are great opportunities to do community programs, outreach programs, brown bag programs. Loads of free CE. They paid for me to become certified to give injections.

I can only speak for myself. I have had a great experience at CVS. I may be an anomaly. I have seen postings on this board of bad experiences that CVS pharmacists have had with the company. They are almost related to the quality of the field management. If you decide to interview with CVS, make sure you interview the DM or Pharmacy Supervisor while you are being interviewed.

That's the non-kool aid version.

ALLEGED murders sir............Just kidding, good point.

CVS is also very supportive of it's interns. In fact, they recently send out an e-mail asking 5th and 6th year students to come foward and represent them in a convention, do a presentation, etc. Sure, they are not sending paid pharmacists there, but it is still something that not a lot of places do.

Hmm.... 1.5x overtime is mandated in my state, just move out here, problem solved :)

Hmm.... 1.5x overtime is mandated in my state, just move out here, problem solved :)

Yep - state labor law! It took a long time & was hard earned.

CVS, Walgreens, UCSF hospital pharmacy - every place must comply with this - unless you sign a waiver.

Haven't me a pharmacist yet who has signed that waiver & I've worked for 30+ years in many venues.

I don't work for either WAGS or CVS - but my advice to any graduate - get some experience. Volunteer to do any shift, any assignment in which you are competent. Find the place you feel comfortable, but don't think you can't change - I've done it.

Don't ever have your employer put you in a position which is dangerous to you or your patient. Find the line you won't cross & don't ever cross it!

I've found that works in every venue I've ever worked.

Real estate prices :eek: and political ideology prevent that.

this state is more conservative than you think, and RE prices are tanking like mad, buy now :thumbup: One of my friend's pharmacists is a RE agent if you need one

this state is more conservative than you think, and RE prices are tanking like mad, buy now :thumbup: One of my friend's pharmacists is a RE agent if you need one

OC perhaps - not Silicon Valley or SF....politically.

RE - they go up, they go down - I'm ahead, but I don't think I'd buy right now if I were just starting out.