Will there ever be a time when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CK8652

PUDDING!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will there ever be a time when a patient with multiple prescriptions walks into a pharmacy and has weekly/monthly medication "check ups"? I've only had limited time working in a pharmacy, but I remember patients having so many monthly prescriptions they didn't know what was what. I feel like a pharmacists knowledge could be much better utilized by keeping logs and weekly/monthly updates from the patient. In the cases with multiple rx's, I feel the clinical aspect could really improve a patient's life by possibly mitigating/eliminating side effects through suggesting alternate therapies. I'm not sure about charging for the service, but does anyone else see this as feasible?

I just think with the growing number of prescriptions people are on, it would exemplify a pharmacists ability and knowledge as a health care provider. I know a lot of people who think pharmacists are over payed pill pushers and maybe this could influence the uninformed. Does this already happen and I just not know?

I know there are some industries that thrive off of superior customer service (Costco, Inn-n-out, etc) could this not work?

Members don't see this ad.

Will there ever be a time when a patient with multiple prescriptions walks into a pharmacy and has weekly/monthly medication "check ups"? I've only had limited time working in a pharmacy, but I remember patients having so many monthly prescriptions they didn't know what was what. I feel like a pharmacists knowledge could be much better utilized by keeping logs and weekly/monthly updates from the patient. In the cases with multiple rx's, I feel the clinical aspect could really improve a patient's life by possibly mitigating/eliminating side effects through suggesting alternate therapies. I'm not sure about charging for the service, but does anyone else see this as feasible?

I just think with the growing number of prescriptions people are on, it would exemplify a pharmacists ability and knowledge as a health care provider. I know a lot of people who think pharmacists are over payed pill pushers and maybe this could influence the uninformed. Does this already happen and I just not know?

I know there are some industries that thrive off of superior customer service (Costco, Inn-n-out, etc) could this not work?

its called MTM and a patient care plan. Some states are already allowing pharmacists to bill for these services.

its called MTM and a patient care plan. Some states are already allowing pharmacists to bill for these services.

But MTM as it currently stands isn't really financially viable. There are few retail chains in my areas that try to implement MTM. The problem (1) having the retail pharmacist steps away for 15 minute to talk to 1 patient, you got 48023730458034850 patients lined up when you come back. Or (2) the reimbursement doesn't cover the amount of time doing the whole MTM + administrative work.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh, I thought MTM was only in hospital, but it's community as well?

Oh, I thought MTM was only in hospital, but it's community as well?

they are mostly found in ambulatory care such as retail setting. But the poster above is completely correct. As it stand right now there isn't much of an incentive financially to provide MTM. That is why you don't see them much in retail.