Will there ever be Carribean AOA accredited Osteopathic Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious to know what people think about there ever being Carribean Osteopathic Medical Schools? And will Osteopathic Medicine spread through other countries, like it has in the United States?

Members don't see this ad.

medicine1 said:
I am just curious to know what people think about there ever being Carribean Osteopathic Medical Schools? And will Osteopathic Medicine spread through other countries, like it has in the United States?

It has.

medicine1 said:

No carribean DO school. Why would they do that?

A Canadian DO school (US DO format) in Vancouver or Toronto or Montreal would be very successful. I would say more so than most US DO schools.

DO school should work on becoming LCME accr. Of course most people already know that only international medical schools licenced by LCME are Canadian Medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Puerto Rico?

docbill said:
Of course most people already know that only international medical schools licenced by LCME are Canadian Medical school.

Puerto Rico is the U.S. so its not international. :)

I would love to see DO schools open up in Canada!
I would love to see a few DO schools open in Puerto Rico, and in some of the other US Virgin Islands.

medicine1 said:
I would love to see DO schools open up in Canada!
I would love to see a few DO schools open in Puerto Rico, and in some of the other US Virgin Islands.
There is no need for a DO schhol in Puerto Rico. As of now, there are three US fully accredited med schools in the island and one more that is well on its way to earn accredtitation from the LCME and AMA. That means that there are currently 4 med schools (allopathic) in the island. As far as I know there are no plans to open a new school there any time soon.

As far as the Puerto Rico school it would prolly just be easier to open one in Miami. We could kill two birds with one stone. :D

medicine1 said:

Yeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwww!!!!! Being both a DO AND a carribean grad.... what a stigma!!!

docbill said:
DO school should work on becoming LCME accr. Of course most people already know that only international medical schools licenced by LCME are Canadian Medical school.
Is this even possible? I mean, I doubt the AOA would ever consent to it, but is it technically possible? All LCME accredited schools are MD-granting institutions...
I'm actually interested to know if it would be possible. :confused:

subtle1epiphany said:
Is this even possible? I mean, I doubt the AOA would ever consent to it, but is it technically possible? All LCME accredited schools are MD-granting institutions...
I'm actually interested to know if it would be possible. :confused:

I think this came up earlier. It is possible but the AOA and OMS would have to do a lot to qualify. Even some, may fail to qualify.

This would be similar to the 1960s, when AMA asked two guys to evaluate the OMS and the results came back negative.

Here is my question... if MSU-CHM is LCME accr. does that make MSU-COM also accr. They do same courses and they do similar rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what's interesting. all schools that are not LCME or AOA accredited, must be WHO recognized and accredited. the schools of osteopathic medicine in other countries are not AOA recognized. i think its entirely possible for a someone to start a carribbean school based on an osteopathic curriculum, but still satisfy WHO requirements. As long as they get WHO recognized, and use connections to set up rotations somewhere, they could call their degree whatever they want, DO, MD, MBBS, anything, and as long as it gets WHO recognized, and their grads jump through the hoops to get licensed in the US, (USMLE) legally, they could call themselves MD's.

DrFeelgoodDO said:
Yeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwww!!!!! Being both a DO AND a carribean grad.... what a stigma!!!

I can see the posts now... "What are my chances to land ANY residency!" :laugh:

a while back a group of individuals "loosely" affiliated with touro attempted to do exactly what we're talking about here on the us virgin islands. not sure what happened to that effort but i've heard machinations are still going on. ya gotta love touro!

-drgiggles

PublicEnemy said:
you know what's interesting. all schools that are not LCME or AOA accredited, must be WHO recognized and accredited. the schools of osteopathic medicine in other countries are not AOA recognized. i think its entirely possible for a someone to start a carribbean school based on an osteopathic curriculum, but still satisfy WHO requirements. As long as they get WHO recognized, and use connections to set up rotations somewhere, they could call their degree whatever they want, DO, MD, MBBS, anything, and as long as it gets WHO recognized, and their grads jump through the hoops to get licensed in the US, (USMLE) legally, they could call themselves MD's.

WHO doesn't recognize or accredit any medical schools. This is the common misconception. From WHO's website itself:

"Readers are reminded that WHO has no authority to grant any form of recognition or accreditation to schools of medicine or other training institutions. Such a procedure remains the exclusive prerogative of the national government concerned. WHO limits itself to publishing information on medical schools that has been provided or confirmed by the governments of its Member States."
http://www.who.int/hrh/wdms/en/

DrFeelgoodDO said:

LOL. True. At least we can claim domestic education. Before we advocate for a Carib. AOA accreditation, maybe we as a profession can work on the forumation of a joint/online ND/DO degree? That would really hike up our credibility.

On a more serious note, I believe one of the osteopathic schools had their curriculum reviewed and perhaps LCME accredited. There was some spirited dialogue on that particular subject right here on SDN.. I can't remember the college but it might have been Kirksville/ATSU. Sorry to simply stir the proverbial pot, but my brief Yahoo! search came up empty.

:(

DrFeelgoodDO said:

I thought the DO school in Joysey was run by a Caribbean outfit....

Why would they open them in the Caribean? They seem to have an easy time opening up as many mainland schools as they want, regardless of weather or not there are enough AOA residencies to hold all the grads!!

Thousandth said:
Why would they open them in the Caribean? They seem to have an easy time opening up as many mainland schools as they want, regardless of weather or not there are enough AOA residencies to hold all the grads!!

Exactly! :thumbdown:

the ONLY thing the AOA and the osteopathic community should be focusing on right now is self sustainabilty and the structuring of their OWN postgraduate education. It is just wrong to open up more DO schools and graduate doctors they can't even train. It is NOT the AMA/allopathic communities responsibility or burden to train all osteopathic graduates! :idea:

group_theory said:
WHO doesn't recognize or accredit any medical schools. This is the common misconception. From WHO's website itself:

"Readers are reminded that WHO has no authority to grant any form of recognition or accreditation to schools of medicine or other training institutions. Such a procedure remains the exclusive prerogative of the national government concerned. WHO limits itself to publishing information on medical schools that has been provided or confirmed by the governments of its Member States."
http://www.who.int/hrh/wdms/en/

let me clarify. i meant IMED. http://imed.ecfmg.org/ all a school would need to do is become eligible to be listed on IMED and/or WHO in order for their grads to be able to become licensed in the US through the ECFMG. and yes, all a school needs to do to become eligible for IMED or WHO is to be recognized by the government where the school is located. so if some random people not even affiliated with the AOA get the idea to start an osteopathic medical school in Dominica, and somehow manage to get the government of Dominica to approve Dominca College of Osteopathic Medicine, then the school could show up on IMED, and subsequently, their students could be eligible for licensure in the US, and technically they would have the right to call themselves MD's, even if Dominca College of Osteopathic Medicine or whatever was giving out degrees called DO.

PublicEnemy said:
let me clarify. i meant IMED. http://imed.ecfmg.org/ all a school would need to do is become eligible to be listed on IMED and/or WHO in order for their grads to be able to become licensed in the US through the ECFMG. and yes, all a school needs to do to become eligible for IMED or WHO is to be recognized by the government where the school is located. so if some random people not even affiliated with the AOA get the idea to start an osteopathic medical school in Dominica, and somehow manage to get the government of Dominica to approve Dominca College of Osteopathic Medicine, then the school could show up on IMED, and subsequently, their students could be eligible for licensure in the US, and technically they would have the right to call themselves MD's, even if Dominca College of Osteopathic Medicine or whatever was giving out degrees called DO.

Hypothetically Yes.. but the question is.. Why would anyone want to do this?? If your going to call yourself an MD anyway as your suggesting and you couldn’t get into a US MD or DO program then why wouldn’t you go to a carribean MD program.. that is what their there for.

why not carrib MD ( you can call yourself MD) :) and then do OMM classes on the side.

PublicEnemy said:

AGAIN.. Instead of focusing on how many DO schools the AOA can open up.. the AOA/osteopathic community needs to focus on opening up more than enough postgraduate training programs to train their own gradutes. A DO/osteo grad.. should Desire/prefer to do an osteo residency!! They should actually only want to do an allo residency if they are not competitive enough for their own. BUT.. Since the AOA has so many schools (and still continue to open more) and does not have the postgraduate infrastructure to support this.. and even the postgrad programs they do have are not well funded/supported etc.. So the way it currently stands.. is most of the DO grads apply for MD training programs because they see them as better.

This sorta reminds me of something else I've heard of before.. hmm.. anyone heard of degree granting institutions that provide no desirable postgrad training options or research.. :idea: sounds to me like a medical diploma mill!!

Seriously.. If you want the DO community to grow and become more respected not only in the US but internationally, I would think the answer would be pretty obvious that the very 1st thing you would want to do is to throw as much money as possible into creating “AT LEAST” enough residency spots for the numb of people your giving degrees to.. and then 2nd to make these programs highly sought after and very high quality programs with lots of high quality research coming out of them as well as hiring very sought after respected physicians as residency directors.

Only after doing these things is the osteo community going to do well!! If the AOA continues to go the way they are currently going.. your only going to decrease your chances of:

1) Gaining good residency spots.. be it either osteo or allo!!
2) Gaining respect
3) Gaining international accreditation

OzDDS said:
Hypothetically Yes.. but the question is.. Why would anyone want to do this?? If your going to call yourself an MD anyway as your suggesting and you couldn’t get into a US MD or DO program then why wouldn’t you go to a carribean MD program.. that is what their there for.

why not carrib MD ( you can call yourself MD) :) and then do OMM classes on the side.

i was speaking purely in response to the possibility of foreign osteopathic schools opening, and to that extent from the perspective of someone wanting to open a school, not someone looking to attend.

but more importantly, i wanted to show the relative helplessness of the AOA in this situation.

with regards to your other post, you make some valid arguments. i can't say i disagree completely.

PublicEnemy said:
i was speaking purely in response to the possibility of foreign osteopathic schools opening, and to that extent from the perspective of someone wanting to open a school, not someone looking to attend.

but more importantly, i wanted to show the relative helplessness of the AOA in this situation..

Yeah, I know you were just responding on technically what would be involved in such a process.. :) Which is true.. and a good post! :thumbup:

PublicEnemy said:
with regards to your other post, you make some valid arguments. i can't say i disagree completely.

cool :thumbup: