Will this be difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrestlerkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it be difficult to take General Biology II, General Chemistry II and Anatomy & Physiology I simultaneously in the same semester?

- also along with comp 2, statistics, & public speaking (but will prob drop public speaking if I keep anatomy & physiology)

Members don't see this ad.

it all depends on the person, but i personally would drop anatomy and substitute that for speech. i just finished A&P I this semester, and it kept me busy. it's also in the your best interest to do well on your intro to biology and chemistry classes.

if you think you can do it, then by all means, do it. but i personally would not take three science courses at once. it will be difficult, but not impossible to take all three simultaneously.

Will it be difficult to take General Biology II, General Chemistry II and Anatomy & Physiology I simultaneously in the same semester?

- also along with comp 2, statistics, & public speaking (but will prob drop public speaking if I keep anatomy & physiology)

Ok. I understand you want to get done, but GEEZ, this is a bad choice. Comp 2/speech will be a breeze. But you may not realize how much memorization statistics entials. A LOT.

As for the science, I am not sure about where you are currently going to school, but I took all my prereqs at a community college and Bio 2 was the HARDEST class I took. My bio class was basically memorization from the book, very time consuming. Gen chem 2 may not be that bad if you did well in chem 2 and you're amazing at math. But as for A&P, that is also ALL memorizing. It's a challenging course, that is why they consider all of these sciences you want to take 'upper level science courses'.

In my opinion, I would drop a science or two. I think doing that will make you a full-time student and will not overwhelm you so much. I paced myself with sciences and took one per semester and that worked well for me. I had 2 semesters where I took 2 science courses; orgo 1+gen chem 2 at the same time and orgo 2+a&P2 at the same time, and trust me, the orgo is enough to make you want to kill yourself at times, let alone add two more difficult science courses to the mix lol. So I hate to be 'discouraging', but if you go through with this schedule, I think you will be biting off more than you can chew.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO the schedule looks good if you drop A&P. Statistics isn't bad. Is this your first year of college? If so, it looks like you're on the right track to finishing prereqs in 2 years.

Last spring I took OchemII w/lab, Anatomy & Psio I w/lab, and Genetics w/lab and a Gen Ed class about Diversity.

This fall I took BioChem, Anatomy & Psio I w/lab, Microbiology w/lab, Physics Lab, Public Speaking, and my gen ed arts.

So in my opinion the classes you are taking are doable, but from experience I can tell you that taking anymore than 2 sciences courses in a semester is very time consuming, if you feel you can handle more than 2 courses and still do well by all means go for it.
Stats can be a lot of memorization unless your prof lets you bring a paper with all the equations for the exam as mine did when I took it. :D

Yup, this is my first year. & based on everyone's feedback I think I'm definitely going to keep A&P until next year.
But I still don't think I'll be able to avoid taking 3 sciences at once because then next year I will still have A&P I /II, organic chem I /II and Physics I / II left to take.

IMO the schedule looks good if you drop A&P. Statistics isn't bad. Is this your first year of college? If so, it looks like you're on the right track to finishing prereqs in 2 years.

Yup, this is my first year. & based on everyone's feedback I think I'm definitely going to keep A&P until next year.
But I still don't think I'll be able to avoid taking 3 sciences at once because then next year I will still have A&P I /II, organic chem I /II and Physics I / II left to take.

That actually doesn't look too bad as long as you have a physics prof. that's not too hard. Yeah the problem with applying to multiple schools is that the prereqs they require are so different, and that's why people seldom get done in 2 years. For instance, I bet many schools would just accept you with only physics 1, and some even with only 1 semester of A&P (but something like biochem or microbio instead).

Yes?

You can do it if you want to, but be prepared to buckle down and work hard !

It definitely can be done but be prepared to have no life...A & P and Bio II are a joke...all it is memorization...the classes that will keep you busy is chem II and stats...it's not that these are hard subjects they just require a lot of time b/c you want to do a lot of practice problems so you breeze through tests...Comp II is a joke as well...You want to make sure you do good in your science classes so I would drop public speaking...you can take it anytime...At the end day it all depends on how bad you want it.

It definitely can be done but be prepared to have no life...A & P and Bio II are a joke...all it is memorization...the classes that will keep you busy is chem II and stats...it's not that these are hard subjects they just require a lot of time b/c you want to do a lot of practice problems so you breeze through tests...Comp II is a joke as well...You want to make sure you do good in your science classes so I would drop public speaking...you can take it anytime...At the end day it all depends on how bad you want it.

Stats really isn't that bad if you're good at math and how the tests are setup. For my stats class at least 70% of the test was all word problems which blew donkey balls. I could ace the problems, but I couldn't remember every minute term we learned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found A&P to be really really easy for some reason. Maybe its because I liked learning that type of stuff

I did too. I took them both last summer and did the same number of assignments and tests people in the regular class did, but I found it to be enjoyable. The assignments did, however, seem more like busy work than anything else. That was the only college book I ever read from cover to cover. Granted, I've been a h.s. anatomy/physiology teacher albeit having never taken the actual course before I had the top grade in the two classes apparently.

To the OP, the bio and A&P shouldn't be too much of a problem especially taken over an entire semester. Chem II on the other hand might suck depending on your learning styles.

Stats really isn't that bad if you're good at math and how the tests are setup. For my stats class at least 70% of the test was all word problems which blew donkey balls. I could ace the problems, but I couldn't remember every minute term we learned.

I took a course in business statistics called quantitative analysis, and thought it was the easiest math I'd ever taken. Past 9th grade I got very crappy at math so I'm not a numbers whiz by any means.

Comp II will be the hard part. That class was nothing but time consuming. I took that in the summer when I first started college, and that was best collegiate decision I ever made. I knocked that crap out and never had to worry about it again.

I took a course in business statistics called quantitative analysis, and thought it was the easiest math I'd ever taken. Past 9th grade I got very crappy at math so I'm not a numbers whiz by any means.

I'm a business major and I will tell you business stats and QA are very dumbed down versions of regular stats. Kinda surprised me to be honest.

Just take Bio II, Chem II, Comp II, and statistics. Then your able to focus on the science courses and make A's you might need for the future. You want those A's to save your overall GPA if you do bad in organic/other bio classes. If you got nothing else to do for the semester then add public speaking.

Reading the forum and other people's feedback since you have so many science classes you might want to do at least 2 in the summer (preferably physics and orgo together). This will relieve your fall/spring semesters with science classes.Good luck

I'm a business major and I will tell you business stats and QA are very dumbed down versions of regular stats. Kinda surprised me to be honest.

lol then I'm not taking a stat courses offered with a math prefix

This may not be too bad of an idea actually, but then I'll have no summer :(

Reading the forum and other people's feedback since you have so many science classes you might want to do at least 2 in the summer (preferably physics and orgo together). This will relieve your fall/spring semesters with science classes.Good luck

i see too many people stacking up harder science courses in their third or fourth year only because they wanted to play in their first 2 years. They screwed themselves like that.

i see too many people stacking up harder science courses in their third or fourth year only because they wanted to play in their first 2 years. They screwed themselves like that.
Not true. I'm a first yr student stacking AP I & Micro plus College Algebra Stats & ECN in my second semester of first yr... Tell me I'm not crazy.

Yup - but if you want it - go get it :smuggrin:

Not true. I'm a first yr student stacking AP I & Micro plus College Algebra Stats & ECN in my second semester of first yr... Tell me I'm not crazy.

I think the hard part in all that is econ. All those graphs chapped my ass.

I think the hard part in all that is econ. All those graphs chapped my ass.
The teacher @ my school is an easy A so I'm hoping to just slide by .... read the book.... ace a few tests. Plus it's online- NO graph drawing :)

Well, it would definitely allow you to get a feel for what pharm school is really like. Just finished my first semester and having 21 units equated to alot of sleepless nights and no life lol!

If you're focused you can do it.

I took Gen Chem I, A&P I, Physics I, Statistics (at a 4-yr) while working a full time job (47-50 hours a week) and raising a baby.

And pulled a 4.0.

Anything is doable.

This past semester I took A&P I, Organic Chem Lecture & Lab I, Physics II, and two gen eds. It was doable, but I was always busy and stressed about something. It is a LOT of work, so if you're up to it, by all means, go ahead. I did feel like at some points I was getting totally burnt out on science, and I questioned if this is even what I want to do with my life. But you need to be committed to work hard and make sacrifices if you're going to have a grueling schedule. Maybe you should consider a semester or so of summer school. I did Physics I and Speech over the summer. It wasn't horrible, but it saved me from a complete year of utter hell.