Will This be worth the time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MambaTime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first thread and i need some serious advice before i fully commit to this program. I have layed down my plan below, if someone can spend the time to give me some advice that would be great!

1.) I am currently going to graduate in May 2017 as a Biology major, chemistry minor and business minor and going to take a gap year, as i did not apply for this cycle. (3.766 Combined GPA, 3,66 Science GPA)

2.) For me dentistry is my passion and i really want to pursue it.

3.) I got into a 11 month program (CLS), it starts in August 2017 and ends in July 2018. Would it be beneficial for me to go into this program and complete it for my gap year? I really love working in lab and never got the "individual" experience as an undergraduate but at the same time i would still like to apply for dental school around July 2017 before the start of this program and hopefully hear back by August 2018.

Recap:
1.) graduate in May 2017
2.) CLS program August 2017-July 2018
3.)Apply to dental school around July 2017
4.)if admitted start dental school for 2018.
5.) If not admitted into dental school, this CLS program can serve me well, as i can work for a year and try again.

SO MY QUESTION IS WILL IT BE WORTH THE 11 MONTHS FOR THE CLS PROGRAM IN MY SITUATION? Please let me know, as i don't want to go through a tough 11 months where as i can just take the year off and relax, at the same time i am passionate about lab work and don't mind, as 11 months are going to go by fast.

Members don't see this ad.

11 months won't go by fast. I have about 6 more months before d school starts and it's going by at the pace of a Crawl. It feels like an eternity since I've pressed that submit button in June.

11 months is a long commitment, and that would be a great experience. However there is no way to submit future ECs into the AADSAS page. Only ECs and experiences prior to application should be submitted.

You can update schools individually by email telling them what you are doing over the gap year however I found it unnessesary. I've done tons of things I never mentioned to any of the schools over the current gap year. My advice is if you are having fun do it. However don't do it if it's not something you really want to do.

Reactions: 1 users
11 months won't go by fast. I have about 6 more months before d school starts and it's going by at the pace of a Crawl. It feels like an eternity since I've pressed that submit button in June.

11 months is a long commitment, and that would be a great experience. However there is no way to submit future ECs into the AADSAS page. Only ECs and experiences prior to application should be submitted.

You can update schools individually by email telling them what you are doing over the gap year however I found it unnessesary. I've done tons of things I never mentioned to any of the schools over the current gap year. My advice is if you are having fun do it. However don't do it if it's not something you really want to do.

Thanks for the advice, yeah i will make a decision here soon. Do you think i will be competitive enough if i get about a 19-20 on the DAT..along with a 3.76 total GPA and a 3.66 sGPA? The only fear i have is, if i don't get in..i wont really be able to work anywhere with just a biology degree, but if i do this CLS program i can work even if i dont get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to get a 21 easy if you use the materials recommended in the DAT discussion forum.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my first thread and i need some serious advice before i fully commit to this program. I have layed down my plan below, if someone can spend the time to give me some advice that would be great!

1.) I am currently going to graduate in May 2017 as a Biology major, chemistry minor and business minor and going to take a gap year, as i did not apply for this cycle. (3.766 Combined GPA, 3,66 Science GPA)

3.) I got into a 11 month program (CLS), it starts in August 2017 and ends in July 2018. Would it be beneficial for me to go into this program and complete it for my gap year? I really love working in lab and never got the "individual" experience as an undergraduate but at the same time i would still like to apply for dental school around July 2017 before the start of this program and hopefully hear back by August 2018.

Recap:
1.) graduate in May 2017
5.) If not admitted into dental school, this CLS program can serve me well, as i can work for a year and try again.

SO MY QUESTION IS WILL IT BE WORTH THE 11 MONTHS FOR THE CLS PROGRAM IN MY SITUATION? Please let me know, as i don't want to go through a tough 11 months where as i can just take the year off and relax, at the same time i am passionate about lab work and don't mind, as 11 months are going to go by fast.

There's no reason you can't find a job if you try hard enough. Where do you live? Will your first job out of school be a glorious job? No. But you can find work.

I don't know what CLS is. You didn't really explain it so can't help ya there.

Time flies by. Well, it's dependent on what you're doing. Albert Einstein nailed it with theory of relativity. 60 minutes on a treadmill can feel like an eternity and 60 minutes with a beautiful girl can feel like a second.

Dental schools like people with life experience. You should aim for a good DAT. Depending on your score, that'll dictate what you REALLY should do with this gap year.

The actual quote if you were curious:

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."
Albert Einstein

Recap:
1.) graduate in May 2017

Keep in mind that some dental schools start end of June/July. Not all start in August. I think you're fine stats wise, just aim for a 20+ on the DAT and you're good. take your time studying after graduation and take it latest end of July, and apply in June and just wait for interviews. you can enroll in science classes if you want more recommended courses and write that under your planned activities, and/or just get a job somewhere and spend the year relaxing!

I want to say, thanks for the advice for everyone that commented. Undergrad has really taken a toll on me mentally and physically. I have decided not to pursue this MLS degree, and take the year off...in the meantime i will be taking a study abroad trip..getting a job and various other things. Is there certain "things" that i should be doing in the year off, that can be relatable to dentistry, or no?

... Is there certain "things" that i should be doing in the year off, that can be relatable to dentistry, or no?
I worked as a dental assistant and as a dental lab tech. Both were good experience heading into dental school but being a dental assistant for a demanding and efficient dentist was an invaluable experience before dental school. You won't make much money doing it but it'll be worth it IMO

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as a dental assistant and as a dental lab tech. Both were good experience heading into dental school but being a dental assistant for a demanding and efficient dentist was an invaluable experience before dental school. You won't make much money doing it but it'll be worth it IMO
This x100

I want to reopen this thread.

I recently found a program for dental assistant it will be 3 months and meets only on Saturdays for the full day. It will cost around 3.5k.

Will this be worth doing for my gap year? Or should i wait to hear back for results after i am applying and then do the program. If i do complete the program, i can work as a dental assistant for the gap year, and i think that would be great experience.

Let me know, thanks!

I want to reopen this thread.

I recently found a program for dental assistant it will be 3 months and meets only on Saturdays for the full day. It will cost around 3.5k.

Will this be worth doing for my gap year? Or should i wait to hear back for results after i am applying and then do the program. If i do complete the program, i can work as a dental assistant for the gap year, and i think that would be great experience.

Let me know, thanks!

Still trying to look for opinions on this!