Will this count as chemistry research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leadsquid

Reaction score
This year I am doing an "honors" chemistry lab. It does not have the typical lab structure. Instead, it is a one-on-one course where I design a biosensor for a particular hormone alongside the professor. At the end of the semester, I will create a poster and present the findings. Will I be able to use this as research experience for applications?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like this is really just a "research credit" where you're working in the prof's lab, no? Assuming that is the case, then yes this would be a research experience. It is not uncommon to get a nominal credit hour for this kind of work.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a bit tricky, and honestly, I'd suggest asking your professor.

To me, it sounds somewhere between a Course Embedded Research Experience and an independent study. Both involve learning how to do research, but whether it's "research" or not depends a lot on how it's structured.

I teach a lab class similar to what you're describing (although it's not 1:1) and I'd consider it more of a research methods class than a full independent research experience since it's relatively "on the rails".