Will this hurt??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armywife8791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!! Was wondering.....will having a masters degree in education hurt my chances for dental school in the future?? (going to apply within the next 2 cycles..hopefully) I'm a 28 year old biology teacher in alaska (have been for 2 yrs so far)...and trying to redo/get my pre-reqs going again since some have expired...Should I pursue another type of masters degree or just go for it, with what I have?? thanks for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All!! Was wondering.....will having a masters degree in education hurt my chances for dental school in the future?? (going to apply within the next 2 cycles..hopefully) I'm a 28 year old biology teacher in alaska (have been for 2 yrs so far)...and trying to redo/get my pre-reqs going again since some have expired...Should I pursue another type of masters degree or just go for it, with what I have?? thanks for any input!!

Having an advanced degree and being a non-traditional applicant with experiences to share will actually help your chances. Now you just need to prove to the adcom that you can still handle science classes and do well on the DAT!

In regards to your academic background and career, they will certainly not hurt your chances. Treat them as an asset, not a liability to the younger 20-somethings with science degrees.

How you choose to complete the required coursework is up to you, but as you commit to the process, my suggestion is that you have contact with those schools in which you interested to understand what they like to see in their applicants. You may want to do a little searching on the forums here as there are several great threads full of advice and opinion for you to consider as a non-traditional applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would having any type of education hurt you? Many schools offer dds/m.Ed dual degrees, so that should tell you something. Also, you're a nontraditional from Alaska. You're bi-winning.

No, having a masters and teaching will not hurt your chances! You just need to explain why you want to become a dentist. If you're not familiar with it, you need to educate yourself about WICHE. It allows students from certain western states to receive reduced tuition. Here's a link: http://wiche.edu/psep/dent