Will this look weird???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questinganswers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...
I have a question about whether or not my research experiences when I apply will seem a little weird to adcoms:

2 years in the same lab in archaeology/anthropology (which I'm minoring in...) as an RA.
~10 months in ecology (insect-related) developing project for honors senior thesis (this area being my major), project will continue on through the application year.

I'm planning on using a letter from the first lab since I got to know the PI and some of the staff there very well, not sure about the second since I'm only just now getting started in there working with a grad student (the PI isn't coming back from sabbatical for a few months).

Anyway, will the difference in subject matter stick out (in a bad way) to adcoms? I'm interested in both subjects and can talk about my work in both areas, but would like to know if I should be worried about this...I would also like some clarification on the letters issue (ie, do I need to submit a letter from both, even though one may not be as strong?)

Thanks!

**edit: I'm NOT looking into dual-degree programs

Members don't see this ad.

No; in my experience, this'll probably be interesting if nothing else. I'm a biochem major but I'm writing my honors thesis in political science; it's been a topic of conversation in a few of my interviews. You just need to make sure that you can explain all of your research well.

I think if anything this research would help your application--not look weird. I think schools appreciate when you've had a broad spectrum of experiences even outside of things that are related to medicine. I'm a biology major and done my fair share of med-related research, but I did do some research in a vet lab as well as a lab that studied rhinos...that was definitely something that interviewers were interested in (mostly, did they have rhino's on campus??). So anyway I think that's something that makes you unique compared to other applicants.

Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
all research is good research, random research is even better (unless you've been published in Nature or something like that)

as said above, it makes for great interview fodder and proves you're not just another PCR kid.

Thanks everyone! I was just wondering because I keep getting raised eyebrows from my advisors :p