Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biden would've beaten Trump in 2016
Yes. I agree with you here. Biden will beat Trump in 2020 but he won't get the nomination.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Biden would've beaten Trump in 2016
I don't like Biden, I think he's wishy washy and too centrist, and many parts of his record are disagreeable. Regardless, I 100% would rather nominate Warren or Bernie because of my sense that Biden is going to poll exactly like and lose exactly like HRC if he's the nominee.
I've been mostly following along with this thread. I consider myself pretty moderate. I voted 3rd party last election. Couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump or Hilary. I'm not in a swing state, and am of the belief that my vote isn't that powerful because of that, so I voted third party to display my disdain.
That being said, Biden might be the only candidate with realistic chances of winning the nomination (sorry, Yang) I'd consider voting for. Trump's disgusting personality has driven me even further from potentially voting for him. And I think Bernie and Warren both have potential to destroy this country and my livelihood with it, with their policies, so again, no. But as much as I agree that Biden is "wishy washy" and often stumbles over his own dentures and tongue when speaking, he's centrist enough that I would strongly consider voting for him over Trump. I think if others with my political mindset in states where votes DO matter feel that way, Biden could indeed beat Trump.
Wishy-washy also means "open for compromise". I have 30 years of votes to know what the man stands for, good and bad, and I don't doubt the man's character. What do I know about the others, except that many look like a bolshevik radical crossed with a woke Millennial?
www.santacruzsentinel.com
A democracy can turn into a tyranny not all at once, with a bang, but over time. Officials, often elected, often popular, can simply decide to weaken and then dispense with constitutional constraints or legislative checks. Liberty is eroded slowly but steadily. The Weimar Republic was a well-functioning liberal democracy that, within a few short years, using mostly legal processes, became a totalitarian dictatorship.
SDN Anesthesiology subforum isn't exactly the most varied voting bloc, though. I would venture that most of us are some mixture of socially liberal and fiscally conservative (or at the very least we as a bloc have enough debt and/or have high enough incomes that we dont want increased taxes or significant changes to healthcare insurance and billing).
It's just a hypothesis, but I think that for every you, or VA, or FFP that comes out for Biden, you're going to have 1.5 leftists stay home and another 1.5 people like blade who encourage dems to nominate a moderate like Biden saying they'll consider him but who pull the lever for Trump because they likes his economic or immigration or healthcare policy better.
The guy had an MI on the campaign trail. Someone needs to pull him aside and rub that hair with a balloon until the gravity of what happened to him sinks in. If he was to withdraw and endorse Warren tomorrow, maybe do a couple of campaign events, for her the primary would be over.I think Sanders will likely get goaded into going full-on crazy old man by Trump's "debate" style.
It's definitely the former, no question imoYea, I can see the logic in that. But...
Biden gets the nomination. Centrist enough that he pulls votes away from Trump, but not "exciting" enough to bring the extreme left out to the polls.
Warren or Sanders gets the nomination. The extreme left comes out to vote, but many/most moderates aren't voting for either of them over Trump.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which is the better opportunity to get rid of Trump, but I hope it's the former.
Never know. Things have changed so much politically in a few decades.Yea, I can see the logic in that. But...
Biden gets the nomination. Centrist enough that he pulls votes away from Trump, but not "exciting" enough to bring the extreme left out to the polls.
Warren or Sanders gets the nomination. The extreme left comes out to vote, but many/most moderates aren't voting for either of them over Trump.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which is the better opportunity to get rid of Trump, but I hope it's the former.
Never know. Things have changed so much politically in a few decades.
Remember Cali voted to ban gay marriage last decade with prop 8. Crazy to think that, right?
FL voted to let felons who serve their time and restitution vote again per the most recent amendment. FL passed medical marijuana. And FL only picked Trump's pick for FL governor by a razor thin 30k vote margin last election over the black socialist. And we all know how important FL is to any election...
So the bottom line is, you never know. Personally I would have never even consider voting for Warren pre 2016.... But Trump (and the GOP honestly these days) made a straight ticket Dem....
This simple fact that you believe the “fact” that 1 in 4 women are raped in America makes it really hard to discuss “facts.”
Seriously, how do you go throughout the day without popping Xanax like tic tacs? You believe you live in a country where everyone is racist, everyone is oppressed, and 25% of women are raped?! Geez, if I believed what you do I’d be so stressed and depressed I don’t think I could go on.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok what data can you provide in regards to rape and sexual assault in this country? (Just like we answered your questions I hope you will do the same).
Are you ok with 1 in 10 women being raped? What about 1 in 100?
Have you read about toxic masculinity? Do you not believe that exists?
But I’ll wait for your statistics on rape and sexual assault.
And I never said everyone is racist, so again we are never going to have a civil conversation if you don’t read and comprehend what people say and facts they present.
I actually specifically said I am not calling all white people racist, but there is a long history of racism in this country, the KKK is still alive and well to this day, so that does shape society currently. Do you not believe slavery happened? Do you not believe Jim Crow laws happened? Do you not believe that anyone is racist in this country? Do you not believe that the KKK still exists? I’m 100% sure the KKK themselves would tell you that they believe the white race is superior, so do you think they are lying? Do you not believe that I’ve been called the N word within the recent past by more than 1 person including a patient? So again, I never said that everyone in this country is racist, but the history of this country makes it so that black people and women specifically have been marginalized since the beginning and you can’t just wipe out history with a tap of a magic wand.
Some links. I would link directly to the racist websites but I was told by a mod that is against SDN TOS.
![]()
Hate Map
The Southern Poverty Law Center’s interactive map has been available to track hate across the United States since 2000.www.splcenter.org
![]()
White Nationalist
White nationalist groups frequently claim that white people are persecuted by society and even the victims of a racial genocide.www.splcenter.org
“Adherents of white nationalist groups believe that white identity should be the organizing principle of the countries that make up Western civilization. White nationalists advocate for policies to reverse changing demographics and the loss of an absolute, white majority. Ending non-white immigration, both legal and illegal, is an urgent priority — frequently elevated over other racist projects, such as ending multiculturalism and miscegenation — for white nationalists seeking to preserve white, racial hegemony.
White nationalists seek to return to an America that predates the implementation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. Both landmark pieces of legislation are cited as the harbingers of white dispossession and so-called “white genocide” — the idea that whites in the United States are being systematically replaced and destroyed.
These racist aspirations are most commonly articulated as the desire to form a white ethnostate — a calculated idiom favored by white nationalists in order to obscure the inherent violence of such a radical project. Appeals for the white ethnostate are often disingenuously couched in proclamations of love for members of their own race, rather than hatred for others.
This platitude collapses under scrutiny. Two favorite animating myths of white nationalists are the victimhood narrative of black-on-white crime — the idea that the dominant white majority is under assault by supposedly violent people of color — and the deceptively titled “human biodiversity,” the pseudo-scientific ascription of human behaviors, in this case along racial lines, to “non-negligible” genetic difference among humans. Appeals to the “empirical science” of human biodiversity are frequently coupled with thinly veiled nods to white, racial superiority.
In addition to their obsession with declining white birth rates, these themes comprise some of the most powerful propaganda that animates and drives the white nationalist movement. Adherents frequently cite Pat Buchanan’s 2001 book, The Death of the West, which argues that these declining white birth rates and an “immigrant invasion” will transform the United States into a third world nation by 2050, as the text responsible for their awakening, or “red pill.”
White nationalists also frequently cite American Renaissance, a pseudo-academic organization dedicated to spreading the myth of black criminality, scientific racism and eugenic theories. Its annual conference, a multi-day symposium with a suit-and-tie dress code, is a typical early stop for new white nationalists.
Although it isn’t ubiquitous, there is a current of antisemitism in the modern day white nationalist movement. Jews are common scapegoats for the perceived cultural and political grievances of white nationalists. White nationalist and antisemitic literature and conferences also have frequent author and speaker overlap. Kevin MacDonald, the author of The Culture of Critique — a trilogy of books alleging a Jewish control of culture and politics with evolutionary psychology — is a frequent guest in white nationalist media and at events. His writing is frequently cited as what introduces white nationalists to the idea of a Jewish conspiracy
White nationalists also commonly pass through paleoconservatism — an anti-interventionist strand of libertarianism that seeks to limit government, restrict immigration, reverse multicultural programs and deconstruct the social welfare programs. Some of white nationalism’s most prominent voices, including Richard Spencer, Jared Taylor, and Peter Brimelow did stints at Taki’s Magazine, the most prominent paleoconservative journal.
Strategies for pursuing the white ethnostate fall into two major categories: mainstreaming and vanguardism. Mainstreamers believe that infiltrating and subverting the existing political institutions is the only realistic path to power. They aspire to convert disaffected “normies” to their politics and advocate for white nationalists to seek positions — in politics and society — that have access to resources otherwise unavailable to avowed racists. These resources often require that white nationalists disguise their politics and compromise on their most extreme positions. Mainstreaming allows those sympathetic to white nationalism to pursue or enact policies furthering white nationalist priorities. These aren’t always exclusive to white nationalism, such as immigration restriction or the elimination of social welfare programs.
Vanguardists believe that revolution is the only viable path toward a white ethnostate. They believe that reforming the system is impossible and therefore refuse to soften their rhetoric. They typically seek to reform what they believe to be an “anti-white” establishment through radical action. Vanguardists favor public demonstrations to anonymous, online activism and hope that by turning out in numbers at protests they can defy so-called political correctness, polarize politics and accelerate what they view as the inevitable collapse of America.
The racist so-called “alt-right,” which came to prominence in late 2015, is white nationalism’s most recent formulation. While the themes of white dispossession, nostalgia for pre-1960s America and the desire for separatism remain central to the ideology, its edges are softer and porous, allowing for the influence and inclusion of more radical elements, including a suite of neo-Nazi organizations. It also welcomed an unsavory ecosystem of internet trolls. These chaos agents contribute a distinct style of discourse that include a notable lack of empathy, extreme, often violence-tinged, rhetoric, and willingness to dehumanize their enemies in service of political goals. Throughout 2016, with the contentious presidential campaign as a unique backdrop, the nascent alt-right launched a novel campaign of “cultural vanguardism,” tightly focused on radically altering culture — in the form of a total war on “political correctness” — rather than politics. This third style of activism, which borrowed from both the mainstreamers and the vanguardists, primarily took place online in the form of “****posting,” meme making and online harassment.”
![]()
![]()
Trump says he's not a racist. That's not how white nationalists see it
The publisher of a neo-Nazi website said white nationalism was a winner in the midterm elections, while others cheered President Trump as their champion.www.cnn.com
This simple fact that you believe the “fact” that 1 in 4 women are raped in America makes it really hard to discuss “facts.”
Seriously, how do you go throughout the day without popping Xanax like tic tacs? You believe you live in a country where everyone is racist, everyone is oppressed, and 25% of women are raped?! Geez, if I believed what you do I’d be so stressed and depressed I don’t think I could go on.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is disgusting and beyond the pale...![]()
![]()
But sure, let's talk about how Warren was mean when she joked about a hypothetical homophobe having a hard time picking up women
Trump's words cause real violence against the media too, and he's happy to helpThis is disgusting and beyond the pale...
This is what the US presidency has become.
you guys still throwing stones at each other? you guys ever realize you're just a play in the playbook of human nature and are spinning your wheels
any picture can be painted in a positive light and negative light ~ any action, glance, deed, accomplishment can be interpreted wholly positive and negative. you're not proving any point, none of you. you will defend your side, you are victims of human psychology, supporting your side and tearing down the other, to create your own propaganda really, not impressing anyone. the racist spiel from nimbus is par for the course. there is no truth here, just vitriolic fluff.
. the racist spiel from nimbus is par for the course. there is no truth here, just vitriolic fluff.
People that truly want the swamp drained will vote for a real populist, not a fake one like Trump
Warren is certainly closer to Bernie on the populist spectrum than Trump, who essentially has gaslighted everyone on being a populist as much as he has on anything else. I'd argue he's in fact quite the opposite....a corporatist in terms of the policies he's signed into law.Personally don't think that person is Warren. She appears to be doing what she's always done and just say/do whatever it takes to get the job. Who were her Senate donors? Did she give that money back or merely transition it over to her presidential campaign? There was also some rumblings of her own bribery scandal for the endorsement of a prior Bernie group. I don't know the authenticity of that claim honestly, but so far the media have handled her with kid's gloves.
Bernie is the real populist and true believer, but I think he's done. I think Warren would ultimately compromise a lot more, both with Republicans and the Swamp, bc she really doesn't believe in what she's saying.
Bernie seems to think the same:Personally don't think that person is Warren. She appears to be doing what she's always done and just say/do whatever it takes to get the job. Who were her Senate donors? Did she give that money back or merely transition it over to her presidential campaign? There was also some rumblings of her own bribery scandal for the endorsement of a prior Bernie group. I don't know the authenticity of that claim honestly, but so far the media have handled her with kid's gloves.
Bernie is the real populist and true believer, but I think he's done. I think Warren would ultimately compromise a lot more, both with Republicans and the Swamp, bc she really doesn't believe in what she's saying.
As much as Trump is the pro ISIS, pro Russia/Syria presidentIn actual news, Democrats are now the pro-war party.
I think we need to fix capitalism. Most of the leftists that look towards Sweden, Norway etc don't realize the differences from Cuba/Venezuela etc.Bernie seems to think the same:
"There are differences between Elizabeth and myself," Sanders, I-Vt., said in an interview with ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl. "Elizabeth, I think, as you know, has said that she is a capitalist through her bones. I'm not."![]()
Bernie Sanders draws contrast with Elizabeth Warren: She says 'she is a capitalist through her bones. I'm not.'
With Sen. Elizabeth Warren climbing in polls, Sen. Bernie Sanders highlighted a key difference in their core economic philosophies in an interview on ABC's "This Week."abcnews.go.com
www.forbes.com
fee.org
I almost posted those exact articles over the weekend but didn't want to get into a debate between what's really socialism and what isn't. Looks like its one of those times where I suspect most of us are actually on the same page.I think we need to fix capitalism. Most of the leftists that look towards Sweden, Norway etc don't realize the differences from Cuba/Venezuela etc.
They have socialist programs funded on the back of a capitalist society. None of the Scandinavian countries have so much as even a minimum wage law.
![]()
Sorry Bernie Bros But Nordic Countries Are Not Socialist
As much as liberals like to use Nordic countries as examples that socialism and successful societies can co-exist, the reality is that these countries are not socialist, or even farther along the spectrum toward socialism than most other developed countries.www.forbes.com
![]()
The Myth of Scandinavian Socialism
Bernie Sanders shouldn't cite Scandinavia to support his "socialist" interventionism.fee.org
In that way, Warren would be much preferable over Bernie imo
Yes, I claim. White fear of blacks is not merely anecdotal nor just rhetorical. Again, just this weekend a young bright premed student was killed without provocation ....see: Father of Texas woman shot dead by cop in her home: "It's senseless"So you claim.
Republicans have had a decade to fix the immigration system. Boenhner killed the gang of 8 bill earlier this decade. And trump was too busy cutting taxes for corporations to do anything else.Americans are happy to go along with social safety nets. What is rightfully difficult to sell to them is the idea of safety nets for illegal aliens, but prioritization of illegal aliens appears to be the Democrat Party's raison d'etre.
When people say democrats are "prioritizing" illegal immigrants, do they truly believe that democrats actually would rather give benefits to illegal immigrants over american citizens and legal immigrants? I mean I know that this keeps getting echoed by Fox news and people like Sean Hannity and Lou Dobbs daily, and it certainly succeeds in making the average Trump follower more angry at the democrats and at foreigners, but do educated people really believe that nonsense?Americans are happy to go along with social safety nets. What is rightfully difficult to sell to them is the idea of safety nets for illegal aliens, but prioritization of illegal aliens appears to be the Democrat Party's raison d'etre.
Absent that lunacy, you wouldn't have a President Trump right now.
Republicans have had a decade to fix the immigration system. Boenhner killed the gang of 8 bill earlier this decade. And trump was too busy cutting taxes for corporations to do anything else.
Funny how much they use it as a red meat issue for the base, but never actually want to fix it.
Plenty of red states use illegal labor, not to mention Trump's own resorts
When people say democrats are "prioritizing" illegal immigrants, do they truly believe that democrats actually would rather give benefits to illegal immigrants over american citizens and legal immigrants? I mean I know that this keeps getting echoed by Fox news and people like Sean Hannity and Lou Dobbs daily, and it certainly succeeds in making the average Trump follower more angry at the democrats and at foreigners, but do educated people really believe that nonsense?
Yet Republicans don't so much as slap employers on the wrist for employing illegals. Even Trump can do it!The answer is tighter restriction. Not the amnesty that the Gang of 8 wanted to pass.
Don't you remember Romney and the 47% comment. majority of the population does not pay federal income taxes.The moment one decides to give *any* benefits to illegal aliens, one has prioritized them over citizens, seeing as citizens and their forebears paid for those benefits. Taking my tax dollars and giving them to someone else who isn't even my fellow citizen. Highly objectionable. In fact, immoral.
www.forbes.com
Not really, but there is a real concern about expanding what social programs are immediately available to immigrants both in terms of cost and in further incentivizing immigration beyond what we already see.When people say democrats are "prioritizing" illegal immigrants, do they truly believe that democrats actually would rather give benefits to illegal immigrants over american citizens and legal immigrants? I mean I know that this keeps getting echoed by Fox news and people like Sean Hannity and Lou Dobbs daily, and it certainly succeeds in making the average Trump follower more angry at the democrats and at foreigners, but do educated people really believe that nonsense?
White people up there probably don't speak Spanish.By way of specific example, there is an area of Eastern Washington called tri-cities, one of the cities there is called Pasco and it’s almost 2/3 Latino and has one of the fastest growing Latino populations in the nation. Over the last years, I have been in the area for work, 2-3 times a year, and often pass by a corner where folks can get picked up for day labor jobs, the going rate is 100-150 cash (at least the sign says so). So, to make no mistake about it, no is going to get rich on $100-150 a day, but you can certainly pay some bills and take care of essentials. I must have past this place at least 50-60 times over the years, and you know who I have never seen there—a white person, not once, not ever—telling.
Why should they?you know who I have never seen there—a white person, not once, not ever—telling.
Maybe they should!White people up there probably don't speak Spanish.
No, but the guy that is hiring does....White people up there probably don't speak Spanish.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.