Will YOU Get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you get a vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 249 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 12.3%

• Total voters
I have a feeling you are/were also military with deployments under your belt..... I remember being in Afghanistan having mortars shot at our base, breathing smoke from the locals burning tires to stay warm, while looking at the mold above my bunk thinking to myself I’m going to die from my 3rd anthrax vaccine I felt so ****ty

But how is your 5G reception?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So, I had my 5g installed today, mild pain at injection site. I had covid early in first wave... I feel really really run down. But, not death bed.
No fever... yet. My joints hurt the same places as when I had covid.

Rheumatologists will sort this out in 10 years. Tx: Steroids prn.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
So, I had my 5g installed today, mild pain at injection site. I had covid early in first wave... I feel really really run down. But, not death bed.
No fever... yet. My joints hurt the same places as when I had covid.

Rheumatologists will sort this out in 10 years. Tx: Steroids prn.

You know that if they can't collect an infusion fee it's going to be your pcp's problem...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
36 hours out from dose 2. Arm sore, same as first, but no other side effects. Didn’t premedicate with anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here I come Cabo!

• Haha
I’ve heard a SEAL say he was hoping he would actually get full blown smallpox from the vaccine and die ‘cuz it was so miserable.
Was the smallpox different before the year 2004 or something cause it wasn't that bad to me, it was basically a trigger point injection in the deltoid and there was a little sore there that healed up after a while. I don't remember any systemic effects.

Was the smallpox different before the year 2004 or something cause it wasn't that bad to me, it was basically a trigger point injection in the deltoid and there was a little sore there that healed up after a while. I don't remember any systemic effects.
I rememeber it being itchy as hell for a week, with a few days of fatigue. It wasn't so much that it hurt, but the annoying itchy do-not-touch pustule and scab I had to put up with for a week. Also, being the guy who had to check up on 1000 of my closest friends with shoulder pustules of their own that week probably colors my memory of how lame it was.

Got my second dose yesterday morning at the start of a 24 hour call shift :)

mild malaise last night. Headache which is abnormal for me. SENSITIVE TEETH like each and every tooth had a toothache—weird. All went away with 800mg ibuprofen before bed. I feel great this morning. Arm less sore than the first shot

Reactions: 1 users
I will wait 1 or 2 years unless they make me take it to be able travel. Not afraid of it, just think the cost/benefit is pretty neutral for me. I think high risk individuals should take it though.

Round 2 18 hours ago. Feel awful. Temp 103 earlier. All the symptoms. Hard time sleeping it off. Not fun. Started feeling bad 10 hours after and it’s gotten worse.

• Sad
  • Wow
Systemic symptoms after the second dose are the real deal. Got my shot around 8:45a today, feeling fine all day at work. Around 8:00p I started getting the chills, and then myalgias a couple hours later. Now a fever at 103.1 and feeling overall terrible. My plan is to try to sleep it off overnight but will start popping ibuprofen tmrw if things don’t seem to get better.

• Wow
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Felt nothing after the first dose, 12 hours post-second dose (Pfizer) I had myalgias, fever/chills, miserable time trying to sleep that night. Woke up feeling drained, but since I didn't have to work post-call, just took it easy. Took a 4-hr nap in the afternoon. Woke up on post-vaccine day #2 feeling normal again. I usually have no or a very mild reaction to other vaccines.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Round 2 18 hours ago. Feel awful. Temp 103 earlier. All the symptoms. Hard time sleeping it off. Not fun. Started feeling bad 10 hours after and it’s gotten worse.
Got #2 around 8 AM Friday. Felt good all day. Woke up around 3 this morning with some unpleasant myalgias, though not nearly as bad as the last time I had the actual flu. Still feel a bit fatigued despite sleeping about 10 hours overnight. Glad I got it post call, entering a weekend.

2nd shot yesterday afternoon. Comparable, maybe slightly worse arm soreness compared to first dose that started about 8 hr after the shot. Didn't sleep well last night, but can't say it was due to any specific symptoms of myalgias, chills, etc. Arm still sore this morning, slight headache, but that's about it. Didn't take any Tylenol or nsaids given some theoretical concerns about vaccine efficacy in their presence.

48h since 2nd shot. Feeling fine. Only symptom is arm soreness and even that’s not as bad as 1st time around.

48h since 2nd shot. Feeling fine. Only symptom is arm soreness and even that’s not as bad as 1st time around.
That is because the first microchip is working. Don't need to activate the second one.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Why is the 2nd shot necessary if it triggers bad side effects that are probably suggestive that the immunity from 1st shot is working?

Wouldn't it make sense to require 2nd shot only for those who have weak immune systems?

• Hmm
Why is the 2nd shot necessary if it triggers bad side effects that are probably suggestive that the immunity from 1st shot is working?

Wouldn't it make sense to require 2nd shot only for those who have weak immune systems?
Because that is how it was studied.

Also how do you quantify an immune system to determine if it is weak? Ab titer? The cost to draw a titer on every single person then have a subset come back for a shot from a logistics and financial perspective is overbearing, better just to double up on the shot.

Because that is how it was studied.

Also how do you quantify an immune system to determine if it is weak? Ab titer? The cost to draw a titer on every single person then have a subset come back for a shot from a logistics and financial perspective is overbearing, better just to double up on the shot.

I'm confused, i thought the studies showed Shot 2 had worse symptoms and immunity was achieved by Shot 1? Like both shots help but the first shot is the most critical?

Also by weak immune systems, i'm roughly referring to those who are at highest risk for bad covid symptoms (e.g. elderly, obese, heart disease, vitamin D deficient etc.)

I'm confused, i thought the studies showed Shot 2 had worse symptoms and immunity was achieved by Shot 1? Like both shots help but the first shot is the most critical?

Also by weak immune systems, i'm roughly referring to those who are at highest risk for bad covid symptoms (e.g. elderly, obese, heart disease, vitamin D deficient etc.)

The studies had a 2 shot regimen with the summary data showing immunity as a result of that. Maybe further studies will show adequate immunity after one but right now I dont think we're there.

That calculator is fun but ignores ethnicity so I cant help but think it is quite incomplete based on my own experience seeing covid people in the ICU. I definitely wouldn't make medical recommendations on immunity using it.

Didn't take any Tylenol or nsaids given some theoretical concerns about vaccine efficacy in their presence.
I'm not taking a shot you specifically because several people have said it but for MDs to say that is very surprising.
How is Tylenol supposed to modify the immune reponse??!

Only thing that bothered me was a sore arm. No worse than the last one or any flu shot I have ever received.
Only 25% of trial participants receiving the second Covid 19 shot had any significant reactions to it. That means 3/4 of people won't be bothered much at all just like Arch.

I'm not taking a shot you specifically because several people have said it but for MDs to say that is very surprising.
Several studies posted above showing a potential link between the two. We dont even know how tylenol works to begin with so not surprising that it could potentially impair immune response.

Several studies posted above showing a potential link between the two. We dont even know how tylenol works to begin with so not surprising that it could potentially impair immune response.
You're treating the symptoms not the cause. But since we're treating covid with hcq anything goes i guess.

Coincidentally paracatamol and the 2nd generation vaccines from Pasteur were both developped in the 1870s.
After 250 years of coexistence you would think the connection would have been made...

That's a little bit thin as scientific evidence.
It is better than your conjecture however. Nobody is telling you not to take it if you want to so feel free, there is just enough potential concern that the benefit of taking tylenol doesn't outweigh the potential risk by my judgment, it can be different by yours.

On topic as well: Why are women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant not included in anybody's vaccine priority list? I saw a few preggos get very sick from covid and feel they should be prioritized as a group before we start treating the general population and probably before pre-existing condition people in the 40+ population.

I mean, at this point, considering what a **** show the roll out is and how many people are just straight up REJECTING the vaccine, shouldn't we just offer the vaccine to anyone who will take it?

Reactions: 6 users
I mean, at this point, considering what a **** show the roll out is and how many people are just straight up REJECTING the vaccine, shouldn't we just offer the vaccine to anyone who will take it?
My area has opened it to public over 65 and high risk because enough people are rejecting the vaccine.

Cuomo: We will fine you a million dollars if you don't follow our guidelines exactly and limit it to healthcare workers and nursing homes.

Also Cuomo: You aren't giving out enough vaccines so we will fine you a million dollars and take away all your vaccines so you can't give them out anymore.

Trump nonadministration: There are thousands of people dying so let's hold back most of the vaccines.

We should have technocrats running things, not a bunch of clueless lawyers.

• Hmm

Someone posted a study suggesting certain vaccines could have reduced efficacy if patients were given Tylenol or nsaids within a certain time frame before/after the vaccine was administered. It was such a minor inconvenience to put up with the sore arm and headache that it wasn't worth the effort in my opinion to even read the study or think critically about it. Figured if there was any truth to it, I'm better off just dealing with the symptoms than screwing the vaccine at all. So I have no idea if there's any validity to it or not

Edit: I see after posting, other people had already responded with the studies suggesting such.

Someone posted a study suggesting certain vaccines could have reduced efficacy if patients were given Tylenol or nsaids within a certain time frame before/after the vaccine was administered. It was such a minor inconvenience to put up with the sore arm and headache that it wasn't worth the effort in my opinion to even read the study or think critically about it. Figured if there was any truth to it, I'm better off just dealing with the symptoms than screwing the vaccine at all. So I have no idea if there's any validity to it or not

Edit: I see after posting, other people had already responded with the studies suggesting such.
This is the same reason I have avoided taking anything, but I’m really at the end of my ability to cope with these side effects.

You guys posted a picture of yourself receiving the vaccine on social media, right? That is how it is activated.

• Haha

You think there’d be more data given how long vaccines and acetaminophen have been around. But this review highlights a 2009 open label study of kids getting tdap which pretty definitively showed lower titers in the apap group, some of which were significant from a lab measurement standpoint, but which were clinically irrelevant 5 yrs later. That being said, this is obviously a relatively novel vaccine and the plausible mechanisms for apap/nsaid immune blunting are there...

• Hmm
Reporting in at 30 hours. Woke up today feeling like I slept on a couch last night.

Able to function normally, but a little tired with a very mild headache I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been hyper alert due to just getting the vaccine.
My back was minimally sore too, but I suspect stacking a cord of wood had more to do with that.

It is better than your conjecture however. Nobody is telling you not to take it if you want to so feel free, there is just enough potential concern that the benefit of taking tylenol doesn't outweigh the potential risk by my judgment, it can be different by yours.

On topic as well: Why are women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant not included in anybody's vaccine priority list? I saw a few preggos get very sick from covid and feel they should be prioritized as a group before we start treating the general population and probably before pre-existing condition people in the 40+ population.
I think because people freak out about the whole liability of "unborn babies."
It makes absolutely no sense since we're in a pandemic.
Now that people are getting vaccinated there are people studying it, but people who are pregnant should absolutely be entered in to trials and ACOG and MFM society's have been recommending that.

I have an acquitance who works at a hospital and is pregnant and in Dec before the vaccines were actually released her hospital told her that she wouldn't be able to get the vaccine. Absolutely ridiculous and totally a move to cover themselves. Thankfully, once vaccine roll out finally started they allowed her to get the vaccine.

But yep that's the exact same thing I've been telling myself and my patients (I work with pregnant patients) in regards to bad outcomes. The data shows that pregnant people aren't necessarily more at risk of getting covid, but when they do get covid they have worse outcomes. Sure, in an ideal world we wouldn't be in a pandemic and could wait 5 years for more data, but at this point it seems safe for pregnant people and you can't be a good parent if you're disabled or dead, so I recommend getting the vaccine.

Same. Had mine 12 hours ago. Less arm soreness than 1st dose. No other symptoms yet.

Now 33 hours out. Barely perceptible tenderness at injection site. No other symptoms.

One of my partners had exact same experience. We were joking that we hope we didn’t get placebo.

Both times had an unusual amount of fatigue at the end of the day. Couldn't tell if it was because I was post call and had rough weeks, or it was the vaccine. Sore arm as well

We were joking that we hope we didn’t get placebo.

They figured out that the side effect profile is better if you let the vaccine sit out at room temperature for a few days before administering it.

• Haha
They figured out that the side effect profile is better if you let the vaccine sit out at room temperature for a few days before administering it.

I heard a pharmacist from Wisconsin is writing this up.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Ugh any validity to these studies? I couldn't take it anymore after a restless night of high fevers and myalgias (worst was in the gluteus region for some reason) combined with borderline hallucinatory sleep...popped some APAP and ibuprofen and felt so much better after.

Last edited:
Ugh any validity to these studies? I couldn't take it anymore after a restless night of high fevers and myalgias (worst was in gluteus region for some reason) combined with borderline hallucinatory sleep...popped some APAP and ibuprofen and felt so much after.
I suffered for like 32 hours until I gave in. I took Naproxen and Tylenol and I feel better-ish, but still bad and useless. It only was enough improvement for me to sit in a chair long enough to pay bills; and to be able to lay in bed without literally crying from pain.